Page 734 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 23463468472473273373473573674478483412341734 ... LastLast
Results 14,661 to 14,680 of 67405
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    This month, two of my Granddaughters are turning seventeen, and I thought back to my own year at seventeen. It was the year I enlisted in the Marine Corps, the year that put me on the path to Duke, even though I enlisted during my high school junior year, and pointed me toward a long association with the Marine Corps. And then I forgot about that year, mostly. It didn't come up again in my mind until 1975, the year that Janis Ian won a Grammy for her song, "At Seventeen." I liked it, for its musicality, but I didn't notice its lyrics. Seventeen was a long way back for me, and the lyrics weren't important. And I forgot about it again.

Not more than an hour ago I was signing a birthday card for one of them, and I wanted to say something nice. I remembered the song, and looked up the lyrics for inspiration. Wow, I was disappointed. Seventeen can be a tough year for kids, but the song was about the troubles one faces at seventeen, and I wanted to say something encouraging. I really like Janis Ian, and her music. I even have one of her albums, on vinyl, but I cannot remember the last time I played that album.

How could I possibly find something to encourage the girls from that song? Such a beautiful song, but so depressing. I dropped that idea, and signed on the card that seventeen was the best year for me, the year when all things came together. Then I just backspaced over that, and typed in, "Love, Grandpa." Now, the song had depressed me, but I thought about these two kids, just entering the senior year in Durham School of the Arts, and relished the fact that they are excited about their lives. I don't have to worry about them, even though I am the family worrier. They know where they are headed.
    Happy Birthday to your Granddaughters! I see their Grandfather is sporting a third spork, too!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Happy Birthday to your Granddaughters! I see their Grandfather is sporting a third spork, too!
    And I'm still waiting for him to send me a "thank you" for my most recent contribution to that...

Last edited by devildeac; 06-25-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And I'm still waiting for him to send me a "thank you" for my most recent contribution to that...

I didn't notice the third spork, and thanks for setting it up. I been stuck on two sporks for so long I thought that the spork machine was broken. I'm glad it's been fixed, and will work on getting another one. By the way, the two birthday girls will be joining us for dinner at Firebirds this evening. A niece is in town on business, and the whole family gets together for some good times.

I didn't notice the third spork, and thanks for setting it up. I been stuck on two sporks for so long I thought that the spork machine was broken. I'm glad it's been fixed, and will work on getting another one. By the way, the two birthday girls will be joining us for dinner at Firebirds this evening. A niece is in town on business, and the whole family gets together for some good times.
    Ozzie and I are very generous with our sporking. Almost promiscuous. In fact, have another:

You got the third spork when I commented on your post. Feel free to spork me back anytime!

9F 9F 9F

You got the third spork when I commented on your post. Feel free to spork me back anytime!
    Oh, sorry. DD misled me, I think, when he wondered why I didn't thank him. Thank you OZ, and here's one for you--

Roxie made an appearance last night.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Oh really! Tell us more!

9F 9F 9F

Oh really! Tell us more!
    Yeah, right.

Oh really! Tell us more!
    Ok I've decided I'll give up this much. It was a Monday. Not a good day for Roxie to show up because I could be suffering the after-effects all week. But boy did I have a great time.

Ok I've decided I'll give up this much. It was a Monday. Not a good day for Roxie to show up because I could be suffering the after-effects all week. But boy did I have a great time.
    Mondays are good. Hangovers tend to go away by Tuesday and let you start all over again by Wednesday! Hey! Today is Wednesday!

9F 9F 9F

Hello, Roxie. Always good to see you. Please share your adventures with us.

Mondays are good. Hangovers tend to go away by Tuesday and let you start all over again by Wednesday! Hey! Today is Wednesday!
    Nah, I've figured out (for the most part) how to counteract my hangovers. OTOH, the exhaustion from only 2 1/2 hours of sleep on a Monday night is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Hello, Roxie. Always good to see you. Please share your adventures with us.
    Bwahahahahaha!

My friend is trying to talk her into going out this weekend since we have the holiday on Monday to recover. Heh.

Bwahahahahaha!

My friend is trying to talk her into going out this weekend since we have the holiday on Monday to recover. Heh.
    I think Roxie should take advantage of the extra day in the weekend and have a great time.

Nah, I've figured out (for the most part) how to counteract my hangovers. OTOH, the exhaustion from only 2 1/2 hours of sleep on a Monday night is an issue.
    Ouch. And I've been complaining about 2.5 hours at a time, but at least I'm able to string a few of those together each night.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Ouch. And I've been complaining about 2.5 hours at a time, but at least I'm able to string a few of those together each night.
    Touche. You win. You have a much better reason.

I believe Roxie has found a theme song.

Congratulations to Tyler Farrar on his first stage victory in le Tour de France! Garmin-Cervelo won the team time trial yesterday for the first team stage victory putting Thor Hushovd in the maillot jaune. Today's victory makes it a great tour so far for the American team. One of the sponsors is headquartered just 12 miles from my house. These are the first victories in le Tour.

How was everyone's July 4th holiday? I went to the Durham Bull's game on Sunday night, and after their great win, the fireworks began. The stands were full for the game and everyone was having a great time. The Fireworks were exceptional.