Page 52 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354621021525521052 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 67399
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Any suggestions for something similar to a Samoyed?
    Big and fluffy? Huskies (smaller, smart, not terribly affectionate); Collies (Lassie!); Golden Retrievers (beautiful, noble/goofy at the same time) -- you must be prepared to deal with hair!!

Littler and fluffy? Shelties (like mini-collies, kind of); Corgis (big dog mindset in a mid-size package); Poodles (non-shedding).

Really, it comes down to what are your dog criteria?

Mine were: Not too smart (smart dogs get in trouble when left to their own devices); not needing daily hour-long walks (rules out pretty much the entire set of sporting, working and hunting breeds); and bred for companionship/good family pet.

Things I could learn to deal with -- shedding (though it's worse than I expected); drooling (not as bad as I expected); snoring (he sleeps in the basement.)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Things I could learn to deal with -- shedding (though it's worse than I expected); drooling (not as bad as I expected); snoring (he sleeps in the basement.)
    I love the snoring. Makes me laugh every time.

Question Dog and Pony Show

Big and fluffy? Huskies (smaller, smart, not terribly affectionate); Collies (Lassie!); Golden Retrievers (beautiful, noble/goofy at the same time) -- you must be prepared to deal with hair!!

Littler and fluffy? Shelties (like mini-collies, kind of); Corgis (big dog mindset in a mid-size package); Poodles (non-shedding).

Really, it comes down to what are your dog criteria?

Mine were: Not too smart (smart dogs get in trouble when left to their own devices); not needing daily hour-long walks (rules out pretty much the entire set of sporting, working and hunting breeds); and bred for companionship/good family pet.

My snoring is louder.

I wish huskies were more affectionate. The hour-long walks probably are a no-go for me. I guess criteria would be: family pet, not so much shedding, affectionate, but not a small guy.

Too bad about the shedding with samoyeds. How about an Eskie?

Thanks,
    Lavabe

A cat avatar just to balance things out...

My snoring is louder.

I wish huskies were more affectionate. The hour-long walks probably are a no-go for me. I guess criteria would be: family pet, not so much shedding, affectionate, but not a small guy.

Too bad about the shedding with samoyeds. How about an Eskie?

Thanks,
    Lavabe
    How about a Great Dane!?! Seriously, they're supposed to be great, big, loveably goofy, lazy beasts. I've heard it said they'd be great apartment dogs, if you had a big enough apartment.

Other dog lovers, please chime in here.

Thread Merge Needed

Oh, and having just waded through 400 posts on the Huck thread (and I'm still not done - ugh!), I feel compelled to request that the Mods move about 80 of them (dealing with Canada and donuts) onto this thread.

It's very clear the intent of those posts was to make for a long thread, which is the stated purpose of this thread. They were clearly off the topic of that thread, they thus belong here.

They were clearly off the topic of that thread, they thus belong here.
    Yes, thread jacking is a deplorable activity and anyone doing it should be banished to some Tar Heel fan site.

How about a Great Dane!?! Seriously, they're supposed to be great, big, loveably goofy, lazy beasts. I've heard it said they'd be great apartment dogs, if you had a big enough apartment.

Other dog lovers, please chime in here.
    Sadly short lifespans, like 5 or 6 years. Way too short.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    What does it take to have an avatar anyway? You'd think, since statistical programming is a big part of my day job, I'd know my way around a computer better, but, no.

Thumbs down Surely you can't be serious... and don't call me Shirley

Oh, and having just waded through 400 posts on the Huck thread (and I'm still not done - ugh!), I feel compelled to request that the Mods move about 80 of them (dealing with Canada and donuts) onto this thread.

It's very clear the intent of those posts was to make for a long thread, which is the stated purpose of this thread. They were clearly off the topic of that thread, they thus belong here.
    PLEASE!! I BESEECH YOU NO!!!

That thread has become the Sunday School Thread, and needs to remain banished from the friendly confines of the OTB. It is only rivaled by the COLOR GREEN THREAD.

There is a common thread between those threads.

Having said that, I DID participate in the Tim Horton's discussion, but had intense heebeejeebies as the topic moved towards sectarian discussions.

Lavabe

I gave up on the Huckster thread...

It was getting redundant. And repetitive. And redundant. And repetitive.

(Blatantly lifted from one of my favorite shows ever, "Gilmore Girls.")

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    What does it take to have an avatar anyway? You'd think, since statistical programming is a big part of my day job, I'd know my way around a computer better, but, no.
    Click 'User CP' then 'Edit Avatar.' You can upload from any files you have handy.

Sometimes, in the deep dark night, when I'm alone, and feeling a little jiggy, I play a little game called "The Mermaid and Me."

-EarlJam

I could use a good Schlafly's Christmas Ale right now

You just posted on the Huckleberry Hound Board. Now they're quoting Scripture after your post.

Bring back the real DA!!!!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

You just posted on the Huckleberry Hound Board. Now they're quoting Scripture after your post.

Bring back the real DA!!!!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    DA's a sell out! I haven't posted over there for, like, hours

I have an excellent thumbnail of a cat you could use. In the interest of trying to balance out this thread.

Thanks for the Incentive

Thanks for the incentive to add my avatar. Now there are shoes for the puppies to chew.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Thanks for the incentive to add my avatar. Now there are shoes for the puppies to chew.
    Awesome avatar. Absolutely apropos.

(Alliteration, anyone?)

Awesome avatar. Absolutely apropos.

(Alliteration, anyone?)
    Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Apparently.
    Barely brilliant, Billybreen. Basically biting, but a bit boring.