Page 468 of 2388 FirstFirst ... 3684184584664674684694704785185689681468 ... LastLast
Results 9,341 to 9,360 of 47745
  1. #9341
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    That's what every post needs: more emoticons! (Or is that, more cowbell? )
    both...

  2. #9342
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    At the risk of bumping us to the Main Board, I noticed that the UConn women beat the UNC women. From here we go to Great Moral Dilemma: what do we wish for the outcome of this particular matchup? Personally, I don't want to see either team win. Whoever wins, I'm bummed because they won. There's no positive outcome that I can see. Do the rest of you have this same problem?
    Old bumper sticker:

    I have 2 favorite teams: Duke and whoever is playing unc

    Can't get much more clear than that.

  3. #9343
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Dangerous combination today:

    Office closed.

    Lots of caffeine-rich beverages.

    Lots of unread journals,

    Unfettered access to the DBR.


  4. #9344
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Augustine, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Dangerous combination today:

    Office closed.

    Lots of caffeine-rich beverages.

    Lots of unread journals,

    Unfettered access to the DBR.

    Unfettered!

  5. #9345
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Dangerous combination today:

    Office closed.

    Lots of caffeine-rich beverages.

    Lots of unread journals,

    Unfettered access to the DBR.

    Just caffeine-rich beverages? Nothing else?

  6. #9346
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Dangerous combination today:

    Office closed.

    Lots of caffeine-rich beverages.

    Lots of unread journals,

    Unfettered access to the DBR.

    True that. My office is not closed, but I'm working from home today on a big grant that has to go out later this week. I'm taking hourly breaks from reading and writing to check out the LTE.

  7. #9347
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Just caffeine-rich beverages? Nothing else?
    Tilly, you make a good point here. Devildeac, can we expect to see some new reviews of a certain beverage in a certain thread today?

  8. #9348
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Augustine, FL

    My honey is funky.

    I keep honey in my office. For some reason, this jar of honey is getting thick and opaque. I thought honey never went bad. But I've noticed this once or twice before on other jars.

    Is the funky honey still okay to use?

  9. #9349
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!

    Talking Funky Honey

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I keep honey in my office. For some reason, this jar of honey is getting thick and opaque. I thought honey never went bad. But I've noticed this once or twice before on other jars.

    Is the funky honey still okay to use?
    It should be, but you might want to put the jar in hot water to liquify the top stuff before using it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  10. #9350
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Emerald Isle, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    DukePA, please don't hate. Feel the love.

    IMHO, it's irrational to hate insurance companies. I can understand hating a particular insurance company for some perceived injustice. And some companies don't behave ethically. But painting all insurance companies with the same brush of hate is a bit extreme. Many of them provide a valuable service.

    Somewhere along the way, many people got the mistaken idea that insurance companies should pay for everything claimed, and that they should only charge a de minimis premium. Insurance is just a giant transfer mechanism. A bunch of people pay premiums so that a few can be covered for losses.

    The contract defines what is covered. How much the insurance company charges is based on the terms of that contract. We can usually purchase more comprehensive coverage at a higher premium.

    I certainly don't know the terms of Lavabe's policy, and so I'm not in a position to judge whether his water damage should be covered or not. I sympathize with his predicament and wish he could be reimbursed by his insurance company for the water company. But we really need to examine the terms of his contracts to know whether or not the damage should be covered.

    Okay, sorry for venting. I'll get off my soap box now.
    You're right and I usually don't hate. Guess that was my version of venting. I actually have a great auto insurance company. It's USAA. They're not-for-profit and are very fair. They actually do what they promise and don't treat me like a criminal if I file a claim. Medical insurance, on the other hand is a different story. I used to work for a third party administrator many years ago and was constantly discouraged by the insurance company acting in what I considered to be bad faith and doing everything they could not to uphold their part of the contracts held with their clients. I know there are great insurance companies out there and I don't really hate them all. Just an immature moment on my part

  11. #9351
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Is there anyone else out there watching the Inauguration? I lovelovelove this event. Not just because the guy I was rooting for won, but just for the symbolic nature of the transition of power, and all the pomp and ritual surrounding.

    The National Mall is the most crowded I've *ever* seen it - even the side streets are packed! CNN was saying the powers that be are going to get a satellite picture from space to do crowd estimates. They were also saying that this will be the most-watched televised event, ever, in the history of television. The world really is watching.

  12. #9352
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Augustine, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    You're right and I usually don't hate. Guess that was my version of venting. I actually have a great auto insurance company. It's USAA. They're not-for-profit and are very fair. They actually do what they promise and don't treat me like a criminal if I file a claim. Medical insurance, on the other hand is a different story. I used to work for a third party administrator many years ago and was constantly discouraged by the insurance company acting in what I considered to be bad faith and doing everything they could not to uphold their part of the contracts held with their clients. I know there are great insurance companies out there and I don't really hate them all. Just an immature moment on my part
    No worries. I save my hate for the wrong shade of blue.

    I too have USAA for auto, home, and life insurance. My experience with them has been very positive.

    Health insurance is a complicated mess. I wish we could simplify the entire system. At the risk of straying to the PPB, I think a big part of the problem is that we want and use more services than we want to pay for. The other big part of the problem is inefficiencies, greed, and corruption.

    Uh oh, here I go again . . .

  13. #9353
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Just caffeine-rich beverages? Nothing else?
    It was 956AM when I posted that...

    However, later today...

  14. #9354
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    At the risk of straying to the PPB, I think a big part of the problem is that we want and use more services than we want to pay for. The other big part of the problem is
    The other big problem is doctors order or perform tests that aren't needed in order to protect themselves from malpractice suits. Patients seem to think that doctors should be perfect and God-like. Sorry, they are only human and sick people often die due to no fault of the doctor or hospital. </end rant
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  15. #9355
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Tilly, you make a good point here. Devildeac, can we expect to see some new reviews of a certain beverage in a certain thread today?
    I have a couple new ones to review from last week and a 4 year old barleywine I enjoyed last PM that is begging to be recognized.

  16. #9356
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It should be, but you might want to put the jar in hot water to liquify the top stuff before using it.
    A few seconds in the microwave on low heat would work, too.

  17. #9357
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The other big problem is doctors order or perform tests that aren't needed in order to protect themselves from malpractice suits. Patients seem to think that doctors should be perfect and God-like. Sorry, they are only human and sick people often die due to no fault of the doctor or hospital. </end rant
    This is a very interesting and complex topic and any further discussion from my perspective would certainly have it moved to the PPB and I don't venture there very often.

  18. #9358
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This is a very interesting and complex topic and any further discussion from my perspective would certainly have it moved to the PPB and I don't venture there very often.
    Neither do I and I'm not a doctor, so I have nothing more to say on the subject, either here or on the PPB.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  19. #9359
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    No worries. I save my hate for the wrong shade of blue.

    I too have USAA for auto, home, and life insurance. My experience with them has been very positive.

    Health insurance is a complicated mess. I wish we could simplify the entire system. At the risk of straying to the PPB, I think a big part of the problem is that we want and use more services than we want to pay for. The other big part of the problem is inefficiencies, greed, and corruption.

    Uh oh, here I go again . . .
    I must admit... the use of emoticons is a very good thing.

    Is Ymo paying attention?

  20. #9360
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Augustine, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Neither do I and I'm not a doctor, so I have nothing more to say on the subject, either here or on the PPB.
    It's all Lavabe's fault, if only he hadn't busted his pipe!

    On House last night, Dr. House had a broken pipe that wasn't covered by insurance.

    I won't give away the ending, but it was funny and timely.

    One more bonus emoticon:

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •