Page 467 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 3674174574654664674684694775175679671467 ... LastLast
Results 9,321 to 9,340 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Bleah.

Today just isn't going the way I'd hoped.

Mainly, I'd hoped to have more motivation for all the work I'm supposed to be doing at, well, work.

Bleah.

That is all.
    Be thankful for your job. That should be enough motivation.

Lavabe, how goes it with your pipe repairs? Sorry to hear of it; trying to get caught up with latest LTE flurry.

I presume ShamWow cleaned up the mess in seconds flat?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Lavabe, how goes it with your pipe repairs? Sorry to hear of it; trying to get caught up with latest LTE flurry.

DANG!! Why didn't I think of that?

Summary: The pipe repair was $1000, the water bill was $843, and the homeowner's insurance won't handle any of it. No damage inside the house, except for a few damp spots by the basement carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Summary: The pipe repair was $1000, the water bill was $843, and the homeowner's insurance won't handle any of it. No damage inside the house, except for a few damp spots by the basement carpet.
    Ouch... Undetected broken plumbing is one of my secret phobias... Every now and then, Mrs Turk has to talk me out of turning off the water and draining all the pipes if we ever happen to go away for a long weekend...

That's criminal, IMO. I hate insurance companies .

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I have this wonderful Epson printer/scanner/copier (Stylus Photo RX500) that has slots for memory cards in it. If it happens to be on before I turn the computer on, I get the "black screen of death." As soon as I saw your post, I remembered that the printer was on when I rebooted my desktop. I've actually had the very same problem before, but it's been a few years. I checked again (with the printer turned off this time), and the computer is working fine now. The false alarm has prompted me to back up the contents of my hard drive, though.
    There is a reason why people all over the world turn to the DBR OT board to solve their technical problems! It is because you get some of the best help in the world from people who care about you, and it is free!

On that note, I recently subscribed to Carbonite.com for automatic backup, and it give me great peace of mind. On the other hand, a company that I am involved with will shortly be releasing a mouse that will include a secure backup methodology, built into the mouse! They showed it at the resent CES show and it was widely applauded.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I was never a fan of coffee, but do prefer that people keep their shoes on in restaurants...
    I should be careful, my humor often gets misinterpreted...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Just to let you in on a backstage secret, what's in the pot is cold Folgers instant. I triple dog dared everyone to take a sip but no one would.

Be thankful for your job. That should be enough motivation.
    This is true - there are a lot of worried folks around here this week.

Our group is just getting re-organized; and the work that a lot of my colleagues have been doing for the past year may have been for naught, but... like you said, I'm thankful.

And my stuff is sticking around, having been deemed "essential to the future of [the product/service/feature.]"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

ShamWow should've made it into my 1000th post tribute. The BD marathon also got left out. Guess I have material for my 2000th post...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    This is true - there are a lot of worried folks around here this week.

Our group is just getting re-organized; and the work that a lot of my colleagues have been doing for the past year may have been for naught, but... like you said, I'm thankful.

And my stuff is sticking around, having been deemed "essential to the future of [the product/service/feature.]"
    Glad to hear that you job is secure! I feel for your colleagues, though; there are few things I find more frustrating than putting hours of work into a project only to have it tossed. I can only imagine how it would feel to have that happen to a year's worth of work.

That makes two of us.

It's the lack of emoticons that will do it to you every time.

It's the lack of emoticons that will do it to you every time.
    That's what every post needs: more emoticons! (Or is that, more cowbell? )

changing the topic a bit...

At the risk of bumping us to the Main Board, I noticed that the UConn women beat the UNC women. From here we go to Great Moral Dilemma: what do we wish for the outcome of this particular matchup? Personally, I don't want to see either team win. Whoever wins, I'm bummed because they won. There's no positive outcome that I can see. Do the rest of you have this same problem?

There's no positive outcome that I can see. Do the rest of you have this same problem?
    Decidedly so...

Smile Happy, happy, joy, joy

At the risk of bumping us to the Main Board, I noticed that the UConn women beat the UNC women. From here we go to Great Moral Dilemma: what do we wish for the outcome of this particular matchup? Personally, I don't want to see either team win. Whoever wins, I'm bummed because they won. There's no positive outcome that I can see. Do the rest of you have this same problem?
    The bigger the Hole loss, the better. No exceptions!

It's very easy.

The bigger the Hole loss, the better. No exceptions!

It's very easy.
    I can certainly appreciate this particular viewpoint, especially since it is the Holes. However, I would also enjoy a similar loss suffered by UConn - not at the hands of unc, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    That's criminal, IMO. I hate insurance companies .
    DukePA, please don't hate. Feel the love.

IMHO, it's irrational to hate insurance companies. I can understand hating a particular insurance company for some perceived injustice. And some companies don't behave ethically. But painting all insurance companies with the same brush of hate is a bit extreme. Many of them provide a valuable service.

Somewhere along the way, many people got the mistaken idea that insurance companies should pay for everything claimed, and that they should only charge a de minimis premium. Insurance is just a giant transfer mechanism. A bunch of people pay premiums so that a few can be covered for losses.

The contract defines what is covered. How much the insurance company charges is based on the terms of that contract. We can usually purchase more comprehensive coverage at a higher premium.

I certainly don't know the terms of Lavabe's policy, and so I'm not in a position to judge whether his water damage should be covered or not. I sympathize with his predicament and wish he could be reimbursed by his insurance company for the water company. But we really need to examine the terms of his contracts to know whether or not the damage should be covered.

Okay, sorry for venting. I'll get off my soap box now.

No surprise there. Even if they did handle some of your repair costs, you might find a significant increase in your premium next year, or no coverage at all. Heck, I have read that by simply discussing a claim or filing a claim, even if denied, will result in a rate increase or no coverage the following year.