Page 466 of 2855 FirstFirst ... 3664164564644654664674684765165669661466 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,320 of 57099
  1. #9301
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Back in Vegas... again.
    I'm home.

    I have a lot of thinking to do.

  2. #9302
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I'm home.

    I have a lot of thinking to do.
    Yes, but isn't it sock-and-sneaker weather in LA?

    At the very least, it is not coat, glove, and snowshovel weather, right?

  3. #9303
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges.

  4. #9304
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St Augustine, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges.
    Be ready to attack Rock Ridge at noon tomorrow . . .

  5. #9305
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I'd like to offer troubleshooting suggestions, but I'm not quite clear on the problem.

    Were you able to use the external monitor with your laptop? (Sounds like yes.)

    Are you now unable to put the external monitor back with your desktop and have it work?

    Are all the cables connected securely? Can your desktop connect to a different monitor and work with that one? (May have to ask a friend or neighbor for help here.)
    Yes, the external monitor works with the laptop (that's what I'm using now). The desktop only gives the black screen of death with the blinking cursor. I double- and triple-checked all the connections and got the same result. I really do think the computer is kaput; it just doesn't sound right. It's much quieter than normal.

    All in all, it's not too surprising that the desktop went bye-bye, assuming that's what happened. It's at least 5 years old and is actually not as good as my laptop. Between two half-working computers I have a functional computer. All in all, I guess it could be worse.

  6. #9306
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Hmm...

    So, on the one hand, LA weather.

    On the other hand, watching an Australian Shepherd puppy play and slide in the 1" of snow out there.

    I think I'll stick with our weather... for today, at least.

  7. #9307
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Back in Vegas... again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Yes, but isn't it sock-and-sneaker weather in LA?

    At the very least, it is not coat, glove, and snowshovel weather, right?
    I landed at 10:17pm. (30 min early, btw)

    The pilot said it was 70 degrees. I believe him.

    Out here that's called flip-flop weather.

  8. #9308
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Yes, the external monitor works with the laptop (that's what I'm using now). The desktop only gives the black screen of death with the blinking cursor. I double- and triple-checked all the connections and got the same result. I really do think the computer is kaput; it just doesn't sound right. It's much quieter than normal.

    All in all, it's not too surprising that the desktop went bye-bye, assuming that's what happened. It's at least 5 years old and is actually not as good as my laptop. Between two half-working computers I have a functional computer. All in all, I guess it could be worse.
    Blinking cursor and quietness suggests to me a hard drive failure, sorry... Hope it was backed up? As for replacing the drive, it's a very easy thing to do - $50-100 for a new drive, about 10 min. of work to swap out old for new, then the fun of reinstalling an OS.

    While you (or your favorite computer handy-man) has the case open, also suggest checking the fan and giving it a good cleaning as well.

    Fixing a laptop screen (depending on what part is kaput) is also possible - can usually find the part on eBay. I know Mr. DA has replaced a Dell screen before.

  9. #9309
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    All right, I'll be honest, I've kinda been waiting for Ymo to mention what he thought of Saturday night. Sorry I couldn't sit with ya!

  10. #9310
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    All right, I'll be honest, I've kinda been waiting for Ymo to mention what he thought of Saturday night. Sorry I couldn't sit with ya!
    Me too, me too. C'mon Ymo, please post your review.

  11. #9311
    Hmmm...interesting. People want to hear what I have to say?

  12. #9312
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmmm...interesting. People want to hear what I have to say?
    Always.

  13. #9313

    *Spoiler Alert

    Okay...thought it was pretty good. The general story was someone late in the Boston Marathon questioning why they are running it. I liked the device of using different voices in someone's head trying to tell them what to do. It did a good job of leading you down the path of hitting the runner's "wall". The one area I saw for improvement was the part where "The Runner's" thoughts were naming the names of children. I thought it might be more effective if they were more vocal with the names. This would have shown a little earlier that the decision was definitely to continue on. My two cents...

  14. #9314
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Blinking cursor and quietness suggests to me a hard drive failure, sorry... Hope it was backed up? As for replacing the drive, it's a very easy thing to do - $50-100 for a new drive, about 10 min. of work to swap out old for new, then the fun of reinstalling an OS.

    While you (or your favorite computer handy-man) has the case open, also suggest checking the fan and giving it a good cleaning as well.

    Fixing a laptop screen (depending on what part is kaput) is also possible - can usually find the part on eBay. I know Mr. DA has replaced a Dell screen before.
    Just out of curiosity do you see the POST screen before it attempts to load Windows? If so, do you have any USB drives attached? If your PC is able to boot from a USB drive, it will try, and you will see only a blinking cursor.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  15. #9315
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Bleah.

    Today just isn't going the way I'd hoped.

    Mainly, I'd hoped to have more motivation for all the work I'm supposed to be doing at, well, work.

    Bleah.

    That is all.

  16. #9316
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Okay...thought it was pretty good. The general story was someone late in the Boston Marathon questioning why they are running it. I liked the device of using different voices in someone's head trying to tell them what to do. It did a good job of leading you down the path of hitting the runner's "wall". The one area I saw for improvement was the part where "The Runner's" thoughts were naming the names of children. I thought it might be more effective if they were more vocal with the names. This would have shown a little earlier that the decision was definitely to continue on. My two cents...
    I think what they really want to know is how'd I do as the waitress. More coffee?

  17. #9317
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I think what they really want to know is how'd I do as the waitress. More coffee?
    I was never a fan of coffee, but do prefer that people keep their shoes on in restaurants...

  18. #9318
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO

    Red face and you win the prize!

    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Just out of curiosity do you see the POST screen before it attempts to load Windows? If so, do you have any USB drives attached? If your PC is able to boot from a USB drive, it will try, and you will see only a blinking cursor.
    I have this wonderful Epson printer/scanner/copier (Stylus Photo RX500) that has slots for memory cards in it. If it happens to be on before I turn the computer on, I get the "black screen of death." As soon as I saw your post, I remembered that the printer was on when I rebooted my desktop. I've actually had the very same problem before, but it's been a few years. I checked again (with the printer turned off this time), and the computer is working fine now. The false alarm has prompted me to back up the contents of my hard drive, though.

  19. #9319
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Bleah.

    Today just isn't going the way I'd hoped.

    Mainly, I'd hoped to have more motivation for all the work I'm supposed to be doing at, well, work.

    Bleah.

    That is all.
    Sorry the day isn't going well. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

  20. #9320
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Fixing a laptop screen (depending on what part is kaput) is also possible - can usually find the part on eBay. I know Mr. DA has replaced a Dell screen before.
    That's interesting. I've heard from several people that it's more expensive to replace the screen than to just buy a whole new computer. I'd prefer to replace the monitor, if it can be done. It was one of those strange situations where you restart the computer and suddenly the monitor wasn't working any more.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •