Page 404 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 3043543944024034044054064144545049041404 ... LastLast
Results 8,061 to 8,080 of 67238
    Things have warmed up a bit here in the midwest, DA. Did you take the cold with you?

And now, for my travel saga.

Trip #1 - From Seattle to Omaha via Denver - flight delays on each segment, but no more than 1/2 hour each way.

Trip #2 - Drive from Omaha to Minneapolis and back - COLD. On the way up, blowing snow on the freeways the ENTIRE trip. Visibility dropped to about 10 feet way too frequently. Sunny on the way home, and luckily beat the forecast freezing sleet coming in that night.

(Trip for Mr. DA - 7" of snow leaving Seattle, greeted in Omaha by the freezing sleet.)

Trip #3, Part A - Monday, Dec. 22 - Made it out of Omaha, but stuck in Denver at 12PM, b/c all flights into Seattle cancelled. Made it to all buildings in the Denver airport, including the New Belgium Brewery (see Ymm Beer thread.) Told we could be #'s 96-97 on standby list for flights to Seattle, or get confirmed flight on Thurs., Dec. 26. Umm, no. Cancelled remainder of travel with Frontier, got a flight to Salt Lake City on Southwest. Finally made it out of Denver at 11:45pm.

Trip #3, Part B - Tues, 8AM. The DRIVE from Salt Lake City to Seattle - woke up to new snow falling, multiple accidents on interstate out of town. Rental agency only had front-wheel drive cars. Picked up chains for it, just in case.

2.5 hours later, reach Idaho border, only to discover the interstate was closed. 90 mile detour back into Utah, up to Pocatello, and then west.

Fortune finally smiled on us the rest of the way home - lots of snow around us, but weather and roads were clear. The final pass, Snoqualmie, was just starting to get hit with the next snow storm when we went through at 11PM. (It later dropped another foot of snow that night/morning.)

We had to go to the airport, pick up Mr. DA's car, our luggage (it made the standby flight), and return the rental. Home at 1:45AM Wed. morning.

We were pretty much snowed in for the rest of the week. We probably got close to 14" of snow, which Mr. DA said was the most he'd ever seen since 1990. It started to melt on Saturday, and now, we're mostly back to normal.

I'm really glad to be home, heck, I was even happy to come in to work yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    And now, for my travel saga.

Trip #1 - From Seattle to Omaha via Denver - flight delays on each segment, but no more than 1/2 hour each way.

Trip #2 - Drive from Omaha to Minneapolis and back - COLD. On the way up, blowing snow on the freeways the ENTIRE trip. Visibility dropped to about 10 feet way too frequently. Sunny on the way home, and luckily beat the forecast freezing sleet coming in that night.

(Trip for Mr. DA - 7" of snow leaving Seattle, greeted in Omaha by the freezing sleet.)

Trip #3, Part A - Monday, Dec. 22 - Made it out of Omaha, but stuck in Denver at 12PM, b/c all flights into Seattle cancelled. Made it to all buildings in the Denver airport, including the New Belgium Brewery (see Ymm Beer thread.) Told we could be #'s 96-97 on standby list for flights to Seattle, or get confirmed flight on Thurs., Dec. 26. Umm, no. Cancelled remainder of travel with Frontier, got a flight to Salt Lake City on Southwest. Finally made it out of Denver at 11:45pm.

Trip #3, Part B - Tues, 8AM. The DRIVE from Salt Lake City to Seattle - woke up to new snow falling, multiple accidents on interstate out of town. Rental agency only had front-wheel drive cars. Picked up chains for it, just in case.

2.5 hours later, reach Idaho border, only to discover the interstate was closed. 90 mile detour back into Utah, up to Pocatello, and then west.

Fortune finally smiled on us the rest of the way home - lots of snow around us, but weather and roads were clear. The final pass, Snoqualmie, was just starting to get hit with the next snow storm when we went through at 11PM. (It later dropped another foot of snow that night/morning.)

We had to go to the airport, pick up Mr. DA's car, our luggage (it made the standby flight), and return the rental. Home at 1:45AM Wed. morning.

We were pretty much snowed in for the rest of the week. We probably got close to 14" of snow, which Mr. DA said was the most he'd ever seen since 1990. It started to melt on Saturday, and now, we're mostly back to normal.

I'm really glad to be home, heck, I was even happy to come in to work yesterday.
    Wow! Not sure how calm I would have been through all that. Glad you and Mr. DA made it home safely.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    OMG, since I posted last, the thread grew by about 700 posts! I got home (and online) last Wed. I've just now caught up! Good summary, Fish.

Big congrats on the house, Tilly - how exciting!
    You read all 700 posts!!! OMG!!!! Kudos to you.

Thanks for the congrats. I'm so excited.

And, a little nervous

Where does liverwurst fit in the grand scheme of things?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Where does liverwurst fit in the grand scheme of things?
    It doesn't.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Cats In Airtight Containers

We could design a cat carrier that used an air pump and a filtering mechanism. The cat is sealed inside. Fresh air is pumped in. Cat air is filtered and pumped out. Voilą!

Riders on the Storm

Classic! It was rattling around my brain and I don't have it so I googled and found it on YouTube. Now I'm listening over and over. There's a good one live in Copenhagen.

Riders on the storm
    Into this house we're born
    Into this world we're thrown
    Like a dog without a bone
    And actor out on loan
    Riders on the storm

I must say, I enjoy the Kennedy Center Honors each year. This year has an exceptionally fine cast of honorees- The Who (Roger & Pete), Morgan Freeman, Twyla Tharp, Barbara Streisand... can't remember who else. I always look forward to it, and I'm glad to have caught it tonight.

It just started, and Morgan Freeman was first. BB King played for him (the man is 157 years old and can still jam!), and Denzel Washington presented the honor. Sweet!

Lily Tomlin is honoring Twyla Tharp. Random.

Twyla sits there looking like she's got a stick up her... backside. That's pretty much Twyla. Would it kill her to smile, ever?

Hmmm don't love the first piece being performed- sone Sinatra by a pair from ABT (American Ballet Theatre)... That's Life is definitely better than Strangers in the Night... My Way was eh... Seriously that's all they chose for performances? Yeek.

Edit: I'm Alaa Abdelnaby.

Soooo... Jack Black honoring The Who?!?!?

Hmmm Joss Stone doing My Generation... not bad actually... different... good band. Now it's Dave Grohl doing Who Are You... wow! This is rockin! (Same band btw- they're really good.) Betty LeSomeone is doing Love Rain On Me- again, wow! Soulful! Different but I like it. Rob Thomas doing Teenage Wasteland? Um, pass. Band is still good, though. Rob just doesn't have the voice for this song. Sorry, Rob. LOL but they have a chorus of NYC cops & firefighters singing the chorus in the background... funnnnnnnny!

Edit: I'm Chris Redding.

Laura Bush honoring George Jones?!? WTF? Was the person who was supposed to do that sick?

So let's see... I'm not a country fan (blech) but they've got Brad Paisley (he's nice to look at), Randy Travis (yawn), Alan Jackson, & Garth Brooks.

Ho hum. I don't like country. Sorry, George.

Edit: Now I'm Bob Fleischer.

Barbara Streisand being honored by Queen Latifah (who, btw, looks amazing).

Ok, so a Glenn Close tribute... Idina Menzel singing Don't Rain On My Parade (amazing!), Beyonce singing The Way We Were (well, it's Beyonce... subdued for her but good), a dance number w/ Ne-Yo singing (WTF??? he's actually doing it well but still seems odd to see R&B guy doing Rat Pack style), & some people I've never heard of singing Somewhere from West Side Story (yikes).

Edit: Now I'm back to being nobody.

From this guy's perspective, country isn't so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Soooo... Jack Black honoring The Who?!?!?

Hmmm Joss Stone doing My Generation... not bad actually... different... good band. Now it's Dave Grohl doing Who Are You... wow! This is rockin! (Same band btw- they're really good.) Betty LeSomeone is doing Love Rain On Me- again, wow! Soulful! Different but I like it. Rob Thomas doing Teenage Wasteland?
    Now I'm going to have to break out some of my Who 8-tracks and listen to them today!

9F 9F 9F

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Do you own a working 8-track player? Wow! You should take that to Antiques Road Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Do you own a working 8-track player? Wow! You should take that to Antiques Road Show.
    Absolutely it works. And it is a Quadrophonic machine. You haven't lived until you've heard Shaft in Quad, with the music spinning around the room from the four speakers! Problem is with the tapes. The silver tape that holds the continuous loop together (and tells the head to change tracks) does not hold anymore, so when the loop gets to the silver tape it comes apart, which makes quite a mess of tape in the machine and usually ruins the cartridge, so I've stopped actually using it. But the machine still works.

9F 9F 9F

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Edit: Now I'm back to being nobody.
    Never!

Wink Too bad they didn't honor Mott the Hoople

No discussion of Emminence Front?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    No discussion of Emminence Front?