Page 37 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947871375371037 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    If someone fixes me dinner again, I'll scream.

Utilize drives me up the wall, but not nearly as much as insure/ensure.

Its/It's drives me crazy.

Yes, I'm doing a writing-intensive course this semester. I turn the students to the podcast GRAMMAR GIRL.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I find you're ire mystifying. I mean, your really nitpicking, aren't you?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    ironic

I don't mind when it's used properly but it's too rich a concept to be misused. If it's a coincidence or a bummer, say so, but don't think it's ironic.

Rain on your wedding day? Bummer.
    Thinking of someone just before they call you on the phone? Coincidence (or maybe ESP!)
    Being a leading researcher of atomic clocks, the highest precision timing devices in the world, and not wearing a watch/always running late? Now there's a good bit of irony for ya (thank the hubby for that one)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    ironic

I don't mind when it's used properly but it's too rich a concept to be misused. If it's a coincidence or a bummer, say so, but don't think it's ironic.

Rain on your wedding day? Bummer.
    Thinking of someone just before they call you on the phone? Coincidence (or maybe ESP!)
    Being a leading researcher of atomic clocks, the highest precision timing devices in the world, and not wearing a watch/always running late? Now there's a good bit of irony for ya (thank the hubby for that one)!
    Good call! It's actually rather ironic that nearly every situation mentioned in Alanis Morrissette's "ironic" song is in fact not ironic.

If someone fixes me dinner again, I'll scream.

Utilize drives me up the wall, but not nearly as much as insure/ensure.

Its/It's drives me crazy.

Yes, I'm doing a writing-intensive course this semester. I turn the students to the podcast GRAMMAR GIRL.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I think you're letting the affects of your students' writings effect you too much.

DevilAlumna

Hey DA,
    How's the new job? What kind of perks are you getting?

Enquiring mines wanna no!!! (I correctly rote dat sennance)

TG

Red face Eats, shoots and leaves

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Hey DA,

TG
    Okay, okay!!

Let's talk yogurt!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Okay, okay!!

Let's talk yogurt!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Did I strike a nerve?

I like to my yogurt with granola in it. I buy the big containers of strawberry yogurt and then get granola from Whole Foods. In the summer I'll put fresh fruit in too. I love my homemade parfaits!

Grammatical pet peeves

My biggest pet peeve is the increasing tendency to make words plural by adding 's to the end rather than just "s". I cringe every time I see it and live in fear that it will become accepted practice.

words/phrases

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    What word (or words) (or phrases) "drives/drive you up the wall?"

I'll start.

For me, it's "like." A close second is "awesome."
    1. like
    2. like
    3. like
    4. you know
    5. umm(mmm)

Hey DA,

TG
    So far, so good, thanks!

The best perk was being told I *had to* order a brand new computer by the end of my first day (within certain company guidelines, of course.) I'll report back on my Lenovo Thinkpad X61 Tablet once it arrives.

Other perks -- well, I get to set my own hours again (10-7 it is!) and can regularly work from home one day a week, no questions asked; the company store discounts are outstanding; there's a Starbucks a 2 min. walk away; and I'm working with *really* smart people. I've even met a couple ACC BBall fans already (they're among the smartest, obviously.)

The downside is, I actually have to work hard again, put my brain back into use (I was in HR before, not quite as taxing ) and ramp up on some pretty new-to-me technologies very quickly. I'm mentally tired when I get home. But, it's fun and exciting to me so far, so here's hoping for a good run!

Even Jay Bilas is guilty of using...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Let's not forget "conversating."
    "defensed" or "defensing"

Okay

Just posting one more time. Trying to help you reach your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    So far, so good, thanks!

The best perk was being told I *had to* order a brand new computer by the end of my first day (within certain company guidelines, of course.) I'll report back on my Lenovo Thinkpad X61 Tablet once it arrives.

Other perks -- well, I get to set my own hours again (10-7 it is!) and can regularly work from home one day a week, no questions asked; the company store discounts are outstanding; there's a Starbucks a 2 min. walk away; and I'm working with *really* smart people. I've even met a couple ACC BBall fans already (they're among the smartest, obviously.)

The downside is, I actually have to work hard again, put my brain back into use (I was in HR before, not quite as taxing ) and ramp up on some pretty new-to-me technologies very quickly. I'm mentally tired when I get home. But, it's fun and exciting to me so far, so here's hoping for a good run!
    Yea for you!

Life is looking great for DBR members. DevilAlumna enjoying her new job, EarlJam landed his dream job. Good karma on the board.

Yea for you!

Life is looking great for DBR members. DevilAlumna enjoying her new job, EarlJam landed his dream job. Good karma on the board.
    I'll throw myself in the "life is going great" category. Nothing specific really; just that 2007 was a great year for me in a lot of ways and 2008 has seemingly picked up where I left off.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'll throw myself in the "life is going great" category. Nothing specific really; just that 2007 was a great year for me in a lot of ways and 2008 has seemingly picked up where I left off.
    "Life's been good to me so far" - Eagles

Snow in the Mountains

I mean, like, it snowed last night, like it's beautiful. Like the birds like it, really, I mean like it's awesome like. It's like I was in like a movie, and like an observer to reality. Awesome!!

Like, do you guys have snow on the ground?

Yeah, I do. It came back early Monday... Though others around are probably much more happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    I mean, like, it snowed last night, like it's beautiful. Like the birds like it, really, I mean like it's awesome like. It's like I was in like a movie, and like an observer to reality. Awesome!!

Like, do you guys have snow on the ground?
    Like, your post, is, like, awesome! I like, really like it when it snow's. Snow is, like, awesome, and everything!

Like, here in Central AR, we, like, got lot's of rain. It was, like, foggy, and everything.

(I was channeling my teenage nieces. How did I do?)

Sometimes I think birds are really aliens from other planets. Okay, perhaps that is a stretch, but I think they are much more intelligent and "knowing" than we give them credit for.

They watch us. They're up to something. And something big. I just know it.

-EarlJam

Eek! A flashback!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Sometimes I think birds are really aliens from other planets. Okay, perhaps that is a stretch, but I think they are much more intelligent and "knowing" than we give them credit for.

They watch us. They're up to something. And something big. I just know it.

-EarlJam
    You're channeling "Deep Thoughts" from SNL, right?

Birds ARE up to something. They see each of us with a gigantic bull's-eye atop our head. At least, that was Gary Larson's theory.