Page 3403 of 3418 FirstFirst ... 24032903330333533393340134023403340434053413 ... LastLast
Results 68,041 to 68,060 of 68353
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I genuinely delight in baiting certain posters
    Same. It is a hobby. And I enjoy it.

I genuinely delight in baiting certain posters
    You're a master.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I've been looking at a lot of data and 40+ year old homes don't fare well from an insurance perspective. I believe it is fairly unique to 4-7 county area in one state. Really odd.
    You can’t say this and not tell the rest of the story…

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    You can’t say this and not tell the rest of the story…
    SoCal from Santa Barbara down to San Diego. Lots of issues with plumbing. Unlike anywhere else in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    You're a master.
    I got a PM with this joke from CNC who thought he’d be run off the board if he posted it publicly. I thought, how kind of him to have such high regard for the LTE. Misplaced but very kind!

You're a master.
    Is this a reference to The Toy?

I got a PM with this joke from CNC who thought he’d be run off the board if he posted it publicly. I thought, how kind of him to have such high regard for the LTE. Misplaced but very kind!
    I certainly can't fathom how that could be taken in an inappropriate way!

I certainly can't fathom how that could be taken in an inappropriate way!
    Apparently, he has a low opinion of this thread. But I'm confident that we're even lower.

SoCal from Santa Barbara down to San Diego. Lots of issues with plumbing. Unlike anywhere else in the US.
    The polybutylene pipes?

I don't know how many of y'all have played 21 (the basketball game). But I played with a couple of guys this morning. Played full court a couple of weeks ago in Nashville. Enjoying the late career Renaissance.

I need a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I don't know how many of y'all have played 21 (the basketball game). But I played with a couple of guys this morning. Played full court a couple of weeks ago in Nashville. Enjoying the late career Renaissance.
    Not in 25 years. I used to play rec league basketball in Statesville and Mooresville, NC. Our company sponsored the team. We were usually in the middle divisions skill/size wise. The big textile plants used to have some very good teams. Their talent pool was much larger (3k employees to our 250) and less technical work. There were a lot of small college/good high school players in those leagues. We were able to win our Division a few times, would get forced to the upper division and proceed to play sub-.500 ball. And then we would ask to go back down to our former Division. I coached the team for a few of those years which started cutting into my playing time.

When I got to Nashville, our plant was much larger(2k people) and our team had a few former D-1 players, including a couple guys in the 6-10 range. One played a few years at Vandy during the Fogler era. I sized up the rest of the team, judged them to be out of my league and haven’t played since.

Not in 25 years. I used to play rec league basketball in Statesville and Mooresville, NC. Our company sponsored the team. We were usually in the middle divisions skill/size wise. The big textile plants used to have some very good teams. Their talent pool was much larger (3k employees to our 250) and less technical work. There were a lot of small college/good high school players in those leagues. We were able to win our Division a few times, would get forced to the upper division and proceed to play sub-.500 ball. And then we would ask to go back down to our former Division. I coached the team for a few of those years which started cutting into my playing time.

When I got to Nashville, our plant was much larger(2k people) and our team had a few former D-1 players, including a couple guys in the 6-10 range. One played a few years at Vandy during the Fogler era. I sized up the rest of the team, judged them to be out of my league and haven’t played since.
    Oh that's cool Ymo. Statesville was in our conference and we played an EPIC 4 game series the year we won the state championship. Culminating in a banked in half court shot by us to win the Western Regional Final and make it to the title game. Lots of talent in that area.

When is the best time to book a flight to get the cheapest fare? 24 hours and 1 minute after I've booked mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    When is the best time to book a flight to get the cheapest fare? 24 hours and 1 minute after I've booked mine.
    Ha! That made me laugh out loud.

And the best day to buy any stock is the day after I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Ha! That made me laugh out loud.
    THREE TIMES! THREE TIMES in the last month it's happened. Two of them where on Spirit so at least they gave a 4 month credit (which I will probably not have a chance to use) but not the third.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And the best day to buy any stock is the day after I do.
    The best time to sell a stock is the day after I bought it. I should have found a way to monetize my power but that would probably backfire too.

The best time to sell a stock is the day after I bought it. I should have found a way to monetize my power but that would probably backfire too.
    So if you short the market, are you propping it up? Maybe the Fed needs to call you in as a consultant during a crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So if you short the market, are you propping it up? Maybe the Fed needs to call you in as a consultant during a crisis.
    My services are available including also point out the quicker line at a store or the road or at a venue - the one I'm not in.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    My current house is 40+ years old and is highly augmented by DIY projects of the previous/original owner. Some of these are endearingly quirky (and helped sell us on the place, 5 years ago), but some are real headscratchers. I just ran into one of the latter: an old flourescent fixture in the basement (hard-wired with the circut cable directly connected to the fixture) that I am replacing with a new LED lamp (with a plug). I installed a box with a socket fixture, connected the circuit cable to it, threw the breaker, and plugged in a circuit tester: open ground. Wtf. Traced the cable back to its origin: a ceiling bulb light (in a ceramic fixture attached to a plastic box) with one cable in and one out. Opened up that light fixture, found the ground wires of both cables just floating loose with no connection.

The previous owner was an engineer, but definitely not a EE. And this is not the first circuit wiring anomaly I've found. I definitely play it way safe when trying to isolate such anomalies.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    The house I bought in the late 80’s was 10 years old. The original owner was a dentist who fancied himself as a DIY God. Among the things he attempted that I had to straighten out:

He removed a garden tub and built a walk in tiled shower for two. Great, except that he put the drain 2” higher than the tiled floor, resulting in standing water after use. He also affixed the wall tiles to sheetrock. Guess how long that lasted.

He built a greenhouse under the deck for his wife, using plastic sheeting for the walls and ceiling. Guess where the stagnant water accumulated under the deck, providing a great breeding ground for mosquitoes and other pests. The plastic stretched and had about a foot of water between each set of joists. So nasty that I put a razor blade on a very long pole to slice the plastic open.

Many more of his “handy work” to mention. I hope he was a better dentist than a DIY’er.
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    In my case, the one thing that my DIY predecessor pretty much ignored was maintaining the foundation of the house. I have spent $17K in remediation of foundation issues caused by soil erosion and related drainage issues (plus, an incomprehensible set of cracks on floor joists that the inspector swears were caused by deliberate cuts).

I am not at all sorry we bought the house. I just would have wished the owner was slightly less focused on his DIY projects and better focused on overall maintenance.
    My house's DIY prior owner made a lot of mistakes, but the most egregious was his decision to connect a basement toilet directly into the main sewar line leaving the house instead of an off-shoot PVC required by code. That did not end well for us.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016