Page 3402 of 3417 FirstFirst ... 24022902330233523392340034013402340334043412 ... LastLast
Results 68,021 to 68,040 of 68329
  1. #68021
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Ok, Boomer. /joking font/

    I was thinking of something from this century, maybe Mumford & Sons and The Lumineers or The Avett Brothers.
    Hozier, Noah Khan, Brandi Carlile Alison Krauss, Jason Isabell, et al don't seem like the beefing types. Ryan Adams on the other hand....

  2. #68022
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Good mid Atlantic native partial sun shrubbery?

  3. #68023
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Hozier, Noah Khan, Brandi Carlile Alison Krauss, Jason Isabell, et al don't seem like the beefing types. Ryan Adams on the other hand...
    I think Isbell could beef if needed. Hes pretty outspoken.

    Hes doing a solo show here in a few weeks, cant wait.

  4. #68024
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think Isbell could beef if needed. He’s pretty outspoken.

    He’s doing a solo show here in a few weeks, can’t wait.
    Ooh. Saw him at the local House of Blues last year with the 400 Unit. Excellent performance. Was trying to swing one of the two nights at DPAC in Durham but got PJ tickets so...
    Last year I learned how much I missed live music.

  5. #68025
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Yeah I caught him with the 400 Unit about two years ago. Fantastic.

  6. #68026
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Good mid Atlantic native partial sun shrubbery?
    Azaleas? (They've been so hybridized I'm not sure how "native" they are, though.)

    We have 20+. Town lore has it a resident was also an employee of the USDA, and was developing varietals in the mid-20th century. He handed them out all over town. Regardless, our town is spectacular in the spring. They're easy to rearrange in your yard if you change your mind on where you want them.

    -jk

  7. #68027
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think Isbell could beef if needed. Hes pretty outspoken.

    Hes doing a solo show here in a few weeks, cant wait.
    But I thought this was the beef era, isn't it? We are the grievance generation. PackMan could go on long enough for CBB to punch out of couple of cycloramas.

  8. #68028
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    There used to be a snl thread. The last four or five episodes of this season have been wonderful!

  9. #68029
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There used to be a snl thread. The last four or five episodes of this season have been wonderful!
    Don't stay up that late, can't DVR broadcast TV so I end up watching clips at U-tube.

  10. #68030
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Don't stay up that late, can't DVR broadcast TV so I end up watching clips at U-tube.
    It's available on demand the next day with a cable/streaming/Peacock subscription or a week later for free on NBC.com

  11. #68031
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Good mid Atlantic native partial sun shrubbery?
    Partial go to is witch hazel and dogwood. Mountain Laurel if you want evergreen.

  12. #68032
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Partial go to is witch hazel and dogwood. Mountain Laurel if you want evergreen.
    Thanks, much appreciated!

  13. #68033
    My current house is 40+ years old and is highly augmented by DIY projects of the previous/original owner. Some of these are endearingly quirky (and helped sell us on the place, 5 years ago), but some are real headscratchers. I just ran into one of the latter: an old flourescent fixture in the basement (hard-wired with the circut cable directly connected to the fixture) that I am replacing with a new LED lamp (with a plug). I installed a box with a socket fixture, connected the circuit cable to it, threw the breaker, and plugged in a circuit tester: open ground. Wtf. Traced the cable back to its origin: a ceiling bulb light (in a ceramic fixture attached to a plastic box) with one cable in and one out. Opened up that light fixture, found the ground wires of both cables just floating loose with no connection.

    The previous owner was an engineer, but definitely not a EE. And this is not the first circuit wiring anomaly I've found. I definitely play it way safe when trying to isolate such anomalies.

  14. #68034
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    The house I bought in the late 80s was 10 years old. The original owner was a dentist who fancied himself as a DIY God. Among the things he attempted that I had to straighten out:

    He removed a garden tub and built a walk in tiled shower for two. Great, except that he put the drain 2 higher than the tiled floor, resulting in standing water after use. He also affixed the wall tiles to sheetrock. Guess how long that lasted.

    He built a greenhouse under the deck for his wife, using plastic sheeting for the walls and ceiling. Guess where the stagnant water accumulated under the deck, providing a great breeding ground for mosquitoes and other pests. The plastic stretched and had about a foot of water between each set of joists. So nasty that I put a razor blade on a very long pole to slice the plastic open.

    Many more of his handy work to mention. I hope he was a better dentist than a DIYer.

  15. #68035
    In my case, the one thing that my DIY predecessor pretty much ignored was maintaining the foundation of the house. I have spent $17K in remediation of foundation issues caused by soil erosion and related drainage issues (plus, an incomprehensible set of cracks on floor joists that the inspector swears were caused by deliberate cuts).

    I am not at all sorry we bought the house. I just would have wished the owner was slightly less focused on his DIY projects and better focused on overall maintenance.

  16. #68036
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    As Ive gotten older, Ive come to believe Josh from The Office is the one smart character on the show.

  17. #68037
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    I genuinely delight in baiting certain posters

  18. #68038
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    As Ive gotten older, Ive come to believe Josh from The Office is the one smart character on the show.
    Which one is he?

  19. #68039
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    My current house is 40+ years old and is highly augmented by DIY projects of the previous/original owner. Some of these are endearingly quirky (and helped sell us on the place, 5 years ago), but some are real headscratchers. I just ran into one of the latter: an old flourescent fixture in the basement (hard-wired with the circut cable directly connected to the fixture) that I am replacing with a new LED lamp (with a plug). I installed a box with a socket fixture, connected the circuit cable to it, threw the breaker, and plugged in a circuit tester: open ground. Wtf. Traced the cable back to its origin: a ceiling bulb light (in a ceramic fixture attached to a plastic box) with one cable in and one out. Opened up that light fixture, found the ground wires of both cables just floating loose with no connection.

    The previous owner was an engineer, but definitely not a EE. And this is not the first circuit wiring anomaly I've found. I definitely play it way safe when trying to isolate such anomalies.

    I've been looking at a lot of data and 40+ year old homes don't fare well from an insurance perspective. I believe it is fairly unique to 4-7 county area in one state. Really odd.

  20. #68040
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    My current house is 40+ years old and is highly augmented by DIY projects of the previous/original owner. Some of these are endearingly quirky (and helped sell us on the place, 5 years ago), but some are real headscratchers. I just ran into one of the latter: an old flourescent fixture in the basement (hard-wired with the circut cable directly connected to the fixture) that I am replacing with a new LED lamp (with a plug). I installed a box with a socket fixture, connected the circuit cable to it, threw the breaker, and plugged in a circuit tester: open ground. Wtf. Traced the cable back to its origin: a ceiling bulb light (in a ceramic fixture attached to a plastic box) with one cable in and one out. Opened up that light fixture, found the ground wires of both cables just floating loose with no connection.

    The previous owner was an engineer, but definitely not a EE. And this is not the first circuit wiring anomaly I've found. I definitely play it way safe when trying to isolate such anomalies.
    Ummmm...that is a strange electrical connection. Err...non-connection.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •