Page 3237 of 3402 FirstFirst ... 2237273731373187322732353236323732383239324732873337 ... LastLast
Results 64,721 to 64,740 of 68031
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    We did:

Paradise
    Angel from Montgomery
    Sweet Revenge
    Great mix. Sweet Revenge seems like it would be a fun song to play live. And based on the photo you shared, whoever sings lead vocals for your band didn't have to go as far out on a limb as the 24-year old Prine did with the opening line of Angel from Montgomery.

True story (as I understand it at least):

Prine was a mailman in Chicago. He started playing at an open mic, and decided he needed a new song every week. Those songs are basically his first album.

John went to his dad and told dad that he wanted to quit his job and become a musician. His dad objected. John said, “lemme play you two songs I wrote and then tell me what you think.”

He played Hello in There and Paradise for his dad.

His dad changed his mind, and wished him luck.
    Fantastic story. Here's another discussing how the first published review John Prine ever received was written by Roger Ebert. Apparently Ebert was supposed to review a film one evening, but hated it so much he walked out. He then stumbled into a John Prine gig and wrote a review of that instead.

Here is Ebert's full review.
    https://www.rogerebert.com/features/...merican-legend

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Great mix. Sweet Revenge seems like it would be a fun song to play live. And based on the photo you shared, whoever sings lead vocals for your band didn't have to go as far out on a limb as the 24-year old Prine did with the opening line of Angel from Montgomery.

Fantastic story. Here's another discussing how the first published review John Prine ever received was written by Roger Ebert. Apparently Ebert was supposed to review a film one evening, but hated it so much he walked out. He then stumbled into a John Prine gig and wrote a review of that instead.

Here is Ebert's full review.
    https://www.rogerebert.com/features/...merican-legend
    Thanks, I had never seen that!

As I think on it, thereís about a dozen other Prine songs Iíve done over time. His genius is his simplicity. There is nothing lyrically or compositionally difficult about Sam Stone for example ó but it just cuts right to the bone. Paradise is essentially an autobiographical true song in three chords. Hello In There was inspired by some old people on his mail route.

And of course he could be wry and funny as hell.

My life lyric: I hope it wasn't anything I did, but if it was, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Iím hard 180. Shaggy: ďIt wasnít meĒ.

Mine: "So what do you do with good ol' boys like me?"

https://youtu.be/lXPqIsbPiAI?si=rERsMZBn5_E0L1hL

Fruit can be dessert.

Fruit can be dessert.
    I'm making roast pork and I just carved off the fat and made homemade pork skins. It can't be dessert although it is like meat candy.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I'm making roast pork and I just carved off the fat and made homemade pork skins. It can't be dessert although it is like meat candy.
    I'm happy to help you determine.

Mine: "So what do you do with good ol' boys like me?"

https://youtu.be/lXPqIsbPiAI?si=rERsMZBn5_E0L1hL
    Isn't this the eternal question?

Fruit can be dessert.
    Ice cream can be dessert also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm happy to help you determine.
    I made a good Eastern style barbecue sauce with a lot of apple cider vinegar, ketchup, honey, Worcestershire and hot sauce. Lots of black pepper and red pepper flakes. Since I don't measure anything, I can't really share the increments. But more apple cider vinegar than ketchup and then just a dash of the other stuff.

The "Elko watch" thread over yonder is hilarious. It's like an exercise in oppositional competitive histrionics or something.

Ice cream can be dessert also.
    I would argue that ice cream is dessert. It can be a snack as well, but so can cake. So I would put ice cream Under The Heading of dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The "Elko watch" thread over yonder is hilarious. It's like an exercise in oppositional competitive histrionics or something.
    The football fans here are so much worse when Duke is good. They don't know any more, they just share more frequently all of the things that they don't know.

The football fans here are so much worse when Duke is good. They don't know any more, they just share more frequently all of the things that they don't know.
    My expertise in this area is unequalled.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    My expertise in this area is unequalled.
    Ha! You're special...just like everyone else.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Avett Brothers lyrics (which could pretty much describe every DBR thread)

"Ain't it like most people? I'm no different
    We love to talk on things we don't know about"

One of you Southerners will have to tell me if that phrasing is distinctly Southern or just poetic.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Reminds me of one of my favorite Avett Brothers lyrics (which could pretty much describe every DBR thread)

"Ain't it like most people? I'm no different
    We love to talk on things we don't know about"

One of you Southerners will have to tell me if that phrasing is distinctly Southern or just poetic.
    Our band played Murder in the City the other night. A lot less than Ten Thousand Words to that one.

Dig me some Avetts.

Our band played Murder in the City the other night. A lot less than Ten Thousand Words to that one.

Dig me some Avetts.
    Brandi Carlile's version of that is exquisite too.
    She's a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Brandi Carlile's version of that is exquisite too.
    She's a prophet.

(Jason Isbell playing slyly on guitar in the background).