Page 31 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341811315311031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I saw a Looney Tunes boxed set at the local Costco. I think it was the first 5 volumes for around $149. Does it seem a reasonable price?
    Yes. I have all five volumes, and all are outstanding. They go for around $45 for a single season I think, which would make that a savings of 33%.
    My main caveat regarding the sets is that you have to have a bit of a completist's bent. There are a number of shorts featuring some obscure characters in the later sets. A really fun thing, however, is to note the evolution of certain characters, both in terms of physical appearance and voice. Bugs, for example, has undergone a marked transition in both over the years (physical more than auditory). I'd say Daffy has evolved the most, closely followed by Elmer Fudd.
    Some other characters have undergone scenery transplants. For example, Wile E. Coyote played "Ralph Wolf" in an early short whose name escapes me at the moment. If you're not interested in these evolutions and don't care to have your choice of 250-300 individual shorts in a given moment, then the first two volumes should do nicely. They hit all the "all-stars" and give a very good survey of the classic Looney Tunes catalog.

I'm going back to Costco today to check the price and the product. Amazon has the Golden Collection Volumes 1-5 at $291, though it is available on eBay for $163. If it is all 5 at $149 seems a pretty good price.

Bananas

And now for something completely different . . .

When bananas ripen, the skin gets thinner. So some skin is "lost". Where does it go? You get those stringy things inside, but not enough to make up for the lost skin. This is one of the great mysteries of life.

Note that I am not completely ignorant in the ways of bananas. Over the years I have accumulated much banana wisdom. Did you know that monkeys peal bananas from the other end? Or that a banana naturally splits three ways lengthwise?

Actually, I did know that a monkey eats a banana from the other end. I don't know why I know this - especially because I want nothing to do with bananas, ever.

I guess I just tend to accumulate all kinds of details that really have no direct bearing on my life other than to take up room in my brain that could be used for useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I guess I just tend to accumulate all kinds of details that really have no direct bearing on my life other than to take up room in my brain that could be used for useful information.
    Ever thought of trying out for Jeopardy?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Ever thought of trying out for Jeopardy?
    I've thought about it - but I think it is much easier to answer the questions sitting at home without the pressure.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Why 589? Clue of the Day:

It's not a date.

Actually for today, I'll give 2.

It's not Duke related. In hindsight perhaps it should have been, but it's not.

I've thought about it - but I think it is much easier to answer the questions sitting at home without the pressure.
    I know exactly how you feel. I seem to answer questions I never even thought I could in the comfort of my home, but know I'd choke on TV.

Was 589 the horse power in the 1969 Boss Mustang 429?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post

It's not a date.

589 was the number of people in attendance at your first play.

As BostonDevil is a self-professed yarn snob, I'm going to guess 589 is the amount of money she spent the last time she was at the yarn store.

It's not a date.

I think it is knitting related - perhaps the number of your favorite pattern or color of yarn. (or the highest number of items you have knitted in one year.)

I think it is knitting related - perhaps the number of your favorite pattern or color of yarn. (or the highest number of items you have knitted in one year.)
    Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze, #589 Majestic, .75 skein
    From http://knitsmitten.blogspot.com/2007...-majestic.html

Perhaps?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Mmmmm, Kidsilk Haze or as we knitters refer to it, Cracksilk Haze.

Nope although I like that guess.

All right, another clue, it's not knitting related. And whereas 589 may indeed be the horsepower of that Mustang, it's not why I picked it.

Tomorrow I'll give you a hint that sends you in the right direction instead of away from the wrong ones.

All right, another clue, it's not knitting related. And whereas 589 may indeed be the horsepower of that Mustang, it's not why I picked it.

Tomorrow I'll give you a hint that sends you in the right direction instead of away from the wrong ones.
    Is it the street number of your house, or did someone else guess that already?

Number of lines in the very first play you wrote.

Was 589 your bib number in the boston marathon?

A while back, you decided to give up something. Say drinking or meats or something. You gave it up for 589 days.

I'm guessing it's drinking. Because when you say it's not Duke related but perhaps in hindsight should be, you're basically saying you, in hindsight, shouldn't have drank so much while at Duke.

What do I win?

-EarlJam

589 was the name of your first pet?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    589 was the name of your first pet?
    I'm naming my next dog π, but I'll spell it Pie for legal reasons.