Page 3065 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 2065256529653015305530633064306530663067307531153165 ... LastLast
Results 61,281 to 61,300 of 67371
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The second best thing about a three day weekend is the subsequent 4 day work week.
    Cormac McCarthy once referred to something as a “blivit” — trying to fit five pounds of manure into a four-pound bag. Seems apt.

(Not sure if he originate the term, that’s where I read of it first)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cormac McCarthy once referred to something as a “blivit” — trying to fit five pounds of manure into a four-pound bag. Seems apt.

(Not sure if he originate the term, that’s where I read of it first)
    And Peter doesn’t like the knobbies, darling.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Mr Big Fat Bear this morning at 6:20, lumbering in the yard looking for fresh Cheetos.
    Or blow.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Or blow.
    Turdzilla 2: The Piling Up of Turdzilla

Anyone have a great way to unload a dead vehicle? 26 year old Mazda pickup truck - blown head gasket. My understanding is that there's some legit value in the parts. But I don't want to spend the next 6 weeks of my life selling on Craigslist.

Of course, the death certificate for this vehicle cost me just shy of a thousand bucks, so I'd like to recoup some of that expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anyone have a great way to unload a dead vehicle? 26 year old Mazda pickup truck - blown head gasket. My understanding is that there's some legit value in the parts. But I don't want to spend the next 6 weeks of my life selling on Craigslist.

Of course, the death certificate for this vehicle cost me just shy of a thousand bucks, so I'd like to recoup some of that expense.
    In my area, pick and pull junk yards will come tow dead vehicles away and give you a small amount of cash.
    You won't make any significant money, but they at least tow it away for free and give you something.
    They don't seem to operate in NC, but I would expect there are similar operations there.
    Maybe this one:
    https://www.speedysusedparts.com/sel...-asheville-nc/

I have no experience with this particular business, but their daughter was an excellent VB student-athlete at my school. I'm not sure that translates into reputable-auto-recycling-family, but I'll throw it out there anyway: https://www.johnsonncusa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    In my area, pick and pull junk yards will come tow dead vehicles away and give you a small amount of cash.
    You won't make any significant money, but they at least tow it away for free and give you something.
    They don't seem to operate in NC, but I would expect there are similar operations there.
    Maybe this one:
    https://www.speedysusedparts.com/sel...-asheville-nc/
    yes, they exist around here, there's a lot of metal in those vehicles

If you’re feeling at all charitable there are a lot of non-profits that will collect your junkers.

https://www.wheelsforwishes.org/sell-your-car/

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    If you’re feeling at all charitable there are a lot of non-profits that will collect your junkers.

https://www.wheelsforwishes.org/sell-your-car/
    We have a local version that I have donated to twice and is run by a close friend. Great organization. But I'd like to get some value out of this vehicle, since there's an associated invoice.

We have a local version that I have donated to twice and is run by a close friend. Great organization. But I'd like to get some value out of this vehicle, since there's an associated invoice.
    Maybe I’m confused, why did it cost you 1000 bucks for your car to be given the last rites. Did you pay someone to tell you it has a blown head gasket? I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 300,000 miles on it that has reached its serviceable limit. I had to push it out of a Chapel Hill intersection last night actually/-alternator this time (which I had plenty of advance notice was dying… stupid.). Looking at buying an Audi SUV to replace it assuming I can find one that comes without a turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Maybe I’m confused, why did it cost you 1000 bucks for your car to be given the last rites. Did you pay someone to tell you it has a blown head gasket? I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 300,000 miles on it that has reached its serviceable limit. I had to push it out of a Chapel Hill intersection last night actually/-alternator this time (which I had plenty of advance notice was dying… stupid.). Looking at buying an Audi SUV to replace it assuming I can find one that comes without a turbo.
    It was a long line of issues that was capped with a blown head gasket. Water pump was replaced first. Then I take manifold gasket. Then the head gasket was blown.

Overheating was the presenting issue to begin with. Not sure if the gaskets blew as a result of the water pump - I'm not a car guy, but it seems possible.

Trickle down pressure issues I guess.

It wasn't a great mechanic experience, to say the least.

It was a long line of issues that was capped with a blown head gasket. Water pump was replaced first. Then I take manifold gasket. Then the head gasket was blown.

Overheating was the presenting issue to begin with. Not sure if the gaskets blew as a result of the water pump - I'm not a car guy, but it seems possible.

Trickle down pressure issues I guess.

It wasn't a great mechanic experience, to say the least.
    Careful. Trickle down snark might get you an infraction!

Around here (Durham), an ad for that on Craigslist would get you an offer within hours. The engine in my mom's Camry blew ~2010. It was a 1997. The rest of the car was in great shape. Sold it for $800 to a guy who had an engine to put in it. Someone will buy it.

it's amazing how expensive used cars are now, though primarily for those still running, of course. I easily sold my 17 year old Volvo...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    it's amazing how expensive used cars are now, though primarily for those still running, of course. I easily sold my 17 year old Volvo...
    I recently sold my 1995 Celica convertible that had been sitting in my garage for over 6 years. He jumped at the $1500 price so quickly, I probably could have gotten more.

Only 61k behind.

Suddenly the POTUS thread made me shudder.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Suddenly the POTUS thread made me shudder.
    It just made me giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    It just made me giggle.
    Like a geisha?