Page 3043 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 2043254329432993303330413042304330443045305330933143 ... LastLast
Results 60,841 to 60,860 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    After two days, three states and ≈1000 miles I'm left pondering the following: If I'm passing you on your left, why you gotta speed up? If you speedup in the first place we won't be here.
    Upstate NY in late 2019 was the last place I've been where everyone was following the rules of the road. Made for a nice predictable drive.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 05-07-2023 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Oh, I'm certain to be awful. I haven't played a hand of poker for money in 6 years or so. When I still played semi-regularly, I had gone out to Vegas to play in an official WSOP event but other things transpired(very hot at the craps tables) and I never entered an event. I still have that on the list of things I need to do and when I go in a few weeks, I want to be able to cross that off my list with the lowest $ loss possible. There is a $800 NLH DeepStack event that starts earlier in the day before I get there but I think I'll still be too late. Then there is a $600 Mixed NLH, PLO event a couple days later. So, it looks like my donation will be to that event.
    The Dailies at the WSOP are not bracelet events but are fun NLH if that suites better.

PLO is a beast onto itself.

But do whatever is fun and in budget!

1,207 miles from Cincinnati to San Antonio with 4 very pissed off felines. No stops longer than 15 minutes. 20 hours straight from old home to empty new home.
    My longest single drive was from west of Denver to Tuxedo, NC (south of Asheville), 1500ish miles. My starting point was some random property owned by Climax Molybdenum where I’d camped the night before. Minimal stops, back when it was all 55mph.

-jk

Oof. There are some impressive road feats on here!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    LOVE Flannery O'Connor. You messed around and got sporked.
    She’s been on my mind lately. I saw her name referenced someplace maybe it was on DBR maybe it was you. With seemingly another mass shooting every single day we seem to be living in a perverse sort of reality that conjures up images from her short stories. What I thought, was bizarre and out of the ordinary as a teen reader of her works has now become normal and common place. America is truly struggling for its soul at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oof. There are some impressive road feats on here!
    I did northern Vermont to Chapel Hill, about 850 miles which is not Hall of Fame territory, but the fact that I never got out of the car merits some kind of certificate or minor plaque I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I did northern Vermont to Chapel Hill, about 850 miles which is not Hall of Fame territory, but the fact that I never got out of the car merits some kind of certificate or minor plaque I would say.
    Not even for gas or to pee?!

Correct. The lack of peeing was key. I did not drink coffee in those days. I was on a mission.

As for gas, the good folks of NJ still don't trust you (or me) to pump our own gas, so I got a freebie there, and maybe once more South of there...

It is possible, without familial help pumping gas. My car will only go around 600 miles on a single tank, but you can still find some full service gas stations.*

And there's always the trucker's friend, 1.7 liter version.
    truckers-friend.jpg

*Are full service gas stations as numerous as EV charging stations now? Just wondering, for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Correct. The lack of peeing was key. I did not drink coffee in those days. I was on a mission.

As for gas, the good folks of NJ still don't trust you (or me) to pump our own gas, so I got a freebie there, and maybe once more South of there...
    What used to be a feature (ability to drive long distances without needing to stop) has now been recoded and I have to stop every couple of hours. I've read too many stories about properly hydrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    That's over two days. My longest single trip was the 699 mi from Duke Central Campus to Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg in 1999. The return trip two nights later seemed longer even though we split between three of us. I don't think any of use said a word for the first six hours.
    I have driven that route many times in one shot. We break it up into two days now and it's not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I left Asheville at 4pm, got to Memphis. Slept 6 hours and was in Albuquerque the next night.

That's about 1500 miles.

I was young.
    Those are On the Road miles!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    My starting point was some random property owned by Climax Molybdenum where I’d camped the night before.
    Okay, there has to be a story in there.

First mission trip to Shiprock - about 900 miles in one day,. We did switch drivers about every 2 hours. Two vans, 4 drivers, 6 youth.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    First mission trip to Shiprock - about 900 miles in one day,. We did switch drivers about every 2 hours. Two vans, 4 drivers, 6 youth.
    The longest tandem drive straight through I've done was 1,545 from McMinnville, OR to Fargo, ND. It was with House P's next door neighbor freshman year. He was in ROTC with me and we were both on the west coast. I flew up from LA and we drove the 24+ hours to Fargo. I drove about 4 of the 24 hours, it was his car. We crashed at his grandparents house for a day and a half then continued the drive. The second leg was from Fargo to Lexington, KY and the final leg to Durham..

One time in grad school, I took a spring break road trip from Greenville, NC to Key West by way of Columbus, OH.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    It is possible, without familial help pumping gas. My car will only go around 600 miles on a single tank, but you can still find some full service gas stations.*

And there's always the trucker's friend, 1.7 liter version.
    truckers-friend.jpg

*Are full service gas stations as numerous as EV charging stations now? Just wondering, for a friend.
    The entire state of New Jersey has nothing but full service stations. I think Oregon may be in the same bateau.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    One time in grad school, I took a spring break road trip from Greenville, NC to Key West by way of Columbus, OH.
    Well. It's on the way.

I've driven back and forth across this country several times, but they weren't speed runs. Especially when accounting for car break downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I've driven back and forth across this country several times, but they weren't speed runs. Especially when accounting for car break downs.
    Ask me about that one time we took a four-day rest stop in Amarillo.

Okay, there has to be a story in there.
    Summer trip during college. Drove NC to Chicago to visit family, then to Seattle (and a ten day sailing trip with family there). Down to the Bay Area then back to NC. About 6 weeks on the road, mostly on the cheap, just camping. By “camping” just a sleeping bag on the ground.

Climax Molybdenum offered an easy, free place to camp. The name stuck with me.

-jk