Page 3015 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 2015251529152965300530133014301530163017302530653115 ... LastLast
Results 60,281 to 60,300 of 67748
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    On another note, the previous owners buried their mailbox in a stupid amount of concrete and I’m busted from sledgehammering it. Seriously, could not lift the base until we reduced it by half. And then it took 2 of us to get in the truck.

Who drops 500 pounds of concrete for a mailbox? The UPS dude rolled up while we were at and laughed, “seems excessive for a mailbox “ he said.

WTH?!?!
    Victim of mailbox baseball?

-jk

There is (was?) a place in KC where you could get tested for driving. They tested eyesight, hearing, reflexes, and cognitive ability. Then, God bless them, they take the person driving. They then recommend whether they continue driving or not. It was covered by insurance plus $150 (probably more now) "combat pay". Recommendation is not binding by the state but it does make them the bad guy instead of the family.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    There is (was?) a place in KC where you could get tested for driving. They tested eyesight, hearing, reflexes, and cognitive ability. Then, God bless them, they take the person driving. They then recommend whether they continue driving or not. It was covered by insurance plus $150 (probably more now) "combat pay". Recommendation is not binding by the state but it does make them the bad guy instead of the family.
    I would fully support such programs wherever they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Pretty close. They’d had their mailbox knocked down several times so I think they were trying to make it extra sturdy but I found out today you’re actually supposed to keep it basic so cars are okay if they hit it. Bend don’t break, ya know.

When I wake out and saw our box down and our neighbors’, I definitely thought it was the work of teenagers though

Back to Vegas. Just a garbage city.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Back to Vegas. Just a garbage city.
    “A sunny place for shady people”

I always enjoy going to Vegas; I always enjoy leaving it as well.

No one has run into my mailbox so far today.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk

It is baseball season.

No one has run into my mailbox so far today.
    Give them a chance, it is early.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oof. Did that happen today?

Oof. Did that happen today?
    No, two hours before our opening NCAA game.

Mom had just bought the car two days prior; q6 year old son snuck out with it and wanted to see how fast it could go. Apparently, it can go faster than it can take the bend before my yard.

B25DE14E-E159-452A-8B00-B3D80EB086DE.jpg

Lucky he glanced off the telephone pole and spun, as opposed to hitting the pole or a tree or the wall head-on.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I would fully support such programs wherever they exist.
    My wife is an occupational therapist, and she regularly performs driving assessments on aging patients. She is as good as anyone probably could be at delivering some compassionate, but difficult truths. We were just talking the other day about how those evaluations 1) should be required for anyone over the age of 75 who's renewing a driver's license, and 2) should include a social worker's input as needed. It's such a tough set of facts and feelings to sort through, but it's also an immensely important issue with regard to road safety for everyone.

Pretty close. They’d had their mailbox knocked down several times so I think they were trying to make it extra sturdy but I found out today you’re actually supposed to keep it basic so cars are okay if they hit it. Bend don’t break, ya know.

When I wake out and saw our box down and our neighbors’, I definitely thought it was the work of teenagers though
    Yeah home owners have been sued by both mailbox vandals and people that accidentally crash into overly fortified mailboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Yeah home owners have been sued by both mailbox vandals and people that accidentally crash into overly fortified mailboxes.
    Oh, geez. I hope my neighbors insurance company doesn’t come after us. I had no idea it was embedded in that much concrete. Now it’s just a wood post.

I have a meeting in an hour of a new global network in my industry. Makes me feel kind of like a character in Succession, only without the profanity or the helicopters. Or the money. Or the drugs. Or the backstabbing.

Oh, geez. I hope my neighbors insurance company doesn’t come after us. I had no idea it was embedded in that much concrete. Now it’s just a wood post.
    I don’t think you have to worry. The news stories I read involved people using steel or concrete for the post and/or box. Having 500lb of concrete foundation isn’t going to add much resistance to a wooden post against a car. It would be a different story if you had a steel bollard stick out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I have a meeting in an hour of a new global network in my industry. Makes me feel kind of like a character in Succession, only without the profanity or the helicopters. Or the money. Or the drugs. Or the backstabbing.
    In the early days of the pandemic I was called into a meeting of the FDA with Stephen Hahn. It was a group of device manufacturers and the FDA to figure out ways to get ventilators when and where we needed them in the US and I was representing neonatal concerns. In the early days we had no idea how babies would be affected (turns out not severely). He actually told everyone to shut up so I could make a point during the meeting. That was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I don’t think you have to worry. The news stories I read involved people using steel or concrete for the post and/or box. Having 500lb of concrete foundation isn’t going to add much resistance to a wooden post against a car. It would be a different story if you had a steel bollard stick out of it.
    When we bought our house 33 years ago we eschewed the notion of a mailbox and all that it can entail: vandalism, theft, tired snow plow drivers, etc...instead we grab out mail at the post office...rural mailbox can be a huge pain in the butt.
    (I was in town hall a month ago and some guy came in and dumped his fractured mailbox and post next to the desk of the highway foreman, message delivered).

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Post office employers walk their routes in my neighborhood. They come up on my porch and put my mail in a basket by the front door. We have a mail slot but it's easier for them to put stuff in the basket, so, we do it that way.