Page 2764 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 17642264266427142754276227632764276527662774281428643264 ... LastLast
Results 55,261 to 55,280 of 67375
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    3rd rock from...
    the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    the bum.
    Milk, milk, lemonade!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    You betcha. I whip that grass into shape!
    My yard is a mess. We are woefully behind in rain, so I greatly reduced my lawn watering. It is pretty crispy now.

My yard is a mess. We are woefully behind in rain, so I greatly reduced my lawn watering. It is pretty crispy now.
    My lawn has been on notice for our 32 years here that it is on its own. No water no fertilizer just the periodic haircut. As a result I think the roots are a yard long

Maybe they’ll pay you to rip it up like they’re doing in Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Maybe they’ll pay you to rip it up like they’re doing in Cali.
    So, interesting thing that. The local water utility has programs that subsidize the removal of grass and irrigation. I've taken out about 1,000 Sq. Ft. of formerly watered turf. I won't remove much else because I put up a bunch of trees and the water feeds them. My neighbors with pools have $300 water bills during the summer, mine is around $100.

Mine is the opposite mess. Can't find enough dry hours to mow. It's a jungle here.

So, interesting thing that. The local water utility has programs that subsidize the removal of grass and irrigation. I've taken out about 1,000 Sq. Ft. of formerly watered turf. I won't remove much else because I put up a bunch of trees and the water feeds them. My neighbors with pools have $300 water bills during the summer, mine is around $100.
    So long as you have enough to roll around on, that’s all that matters…!

Our water is theoretically "free" since we have a well...but our well pump is now 36 years old...do I replace it even though it is working fine? Or do I wait until it is 20 below zero with a pile of snow on top, and then it fails?

It just runs against my personal grain to replace something that is working fine, given the shabby nature of a lot of newer "hardware."

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    So, the blue car is happening.
    Way cool, congrats!

Our water is theoretically "free" since we have a well...but our well pump is now 36 years old...do I replace it even though it is working fine? Or do I wait until it is 20 below zero with a pile of snow on top, and then it fails?

It just runs against my personal grain to replace something that is working fine, given the shabby nature of a lot of newer "hardware."
    What is the design life of the pump? Do you have any usage numbers? I would be similarly inclined to let it be.

What is the design life of the pump? Do you have any usage numbers? I would be similarly inclined to let it be.
    Do not even get me started. Will make this as short as possible. Mom's pump failed. Guys who replaced it screwed up and contaminated her well. Had to hook up to city water at almost $10,000. Pump guys disappeared. BBB was useless. May go with a local Troubleshooter. Sunk almost $3000 into a pump that we have no use for now.

budwom - I suggest you do not wait until failure and make sure your guys know what they are doing. BUT new pump only has 5 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Do not even get me started. Will make this as short as possible. Mom's pump failed. Guys who replaced it screwed up and contaminated her well. Had to hook up to city water at almost $10,000. Pump guys disappeared. BBB was useless. May go with a local Troubleshooter. Sunk almost $3000 into a pump that we have no use for now.

budwom - I suggest you do not wait until failure and make sure your guys know what they are doing. BUT new pump only has 5 year warranty.
    Oh my! That is brutal Aimo.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

I was having a discussion about the BBB just the other day. BBB was a bit of a racket IMHO, but it seems to have been replaced in a practical way with Google and Yelp reviews - I am not sure that's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I was having a discussion about the BBB just the other day. BBB was a bit of a racket IMHO, but it seems to have been replaced in a practical way with Google and Yelp reviews - I am not sure that's progress.
    I was raised to believe in BBB, and have absolutely no trust whatsoever in reviews from Google/Yelp/etc etc. But, to be fair, that was the BBB of 50+ years ago. I have used their web site recently to try to check out contractors, and have not encountered a lemon yet, but that is far from a ringing endorsement.

General consensus seems to be that pumps are good for roughly 20 years. So this one is in the sixteenth inning or so. We do have three high quality well pump companies near me since few homes have “town” water. I often get proactive but given the shabby nature of a lot of new hardware I am inclined to stay put. Might be a dumb move

My dad used to tell guests to his house that they could feel free to use as much water as they wanted. He explained that he had the well dug next to the septic tank, and if the well water got low, all he had to do was flush the commode a few times. For some reason, guests started bringing bottled water with them.

Nothing quite as bad for homeowners than an ugly septic situation. One needs to know the attributes of the system and soil. Or else

Nothing quite as bad for homeowners than an ugly septic situation.
    Clearly you have never been infested by mole people.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Clearly you have never been infested by mole people.
    Do they bite?