Page 256 of 3387 FirstFirst ... 1562062462542552562572582663063567561256 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,120 of 67739
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    w/r/t the el, it depends on the timing of the show and the location of the townhouse. The el is almost always my preferred choice.

Car service is expensive; you can generally get a cab in the loop without difficultly, even after a show lets out if you are willing to walk a block or two.

If you have your own car, you can park a block away from the theater on Randolph (the street the theater is on) in a parking tower across the street from Macy's. The rate for that would be much better than a car service, comparable to cabbing each way.

Dessert also depends on timing - some places close earlier than others. Sadly, Moonstruck Chocolate on Michigan Avenue has closed, but there are other places you can go in the area, or closer to the townhouse if you let me know the neighborhood.
    The townhouse is inside the loop and close to the Roosevelt station. From looking online, it appears that there are stations very close to the theater. We will be without a car and there are 6 of us (5 adults/1 teen). The play gets out about 11pm on Saturday if that helps in suggesting a dessert place.

In my average week I spend around 65-70 hours in the office (worse when busy). Four to six times a month I don't go home at night. I took my first vacation day of the year on Columbus Day.

I don't have any agency experience, but I have worked in the U.S. Senate, and late nights there don't begin to compare with my current job.

So, I'm pretty sure, yeah.
    I hope you hear about the job soon. I only do long hours for 3.5 months and they suck. Life is too short to spend most of it in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The townhouse is inside the loop and close to the Roosevelt station. From looking online, it appears that there are stations very close to the theater. We will be without a car and there are 6 of us (5 adults/1 teen). The play gets out about 11pm on Saturday if that helps in suggesting a dessert place.
    Grr, my Chicago nature grates at you referring to anything near Roosevelt as "inside the loop". It's definitely South Loop, being almost 10 blocks away from the actual Loop.

The area around Roosevelt station is pretty safe; I've walked it late at night (either up to the loop on foot or to the station) after functions on the museum campus many times without any problems. That said, if you don't get a car service (or a cab - better choice than a car service, imho), be aware of your surroundings, especially if you're out when it has gotten really late.

If you're curious, you can google the Chicago Police "Clearmap" and get a map of all crimes reported in the city over a particular period. This can be a little unnerving if you don't appreciate how much crime actually occurs in a city, since it will look like a fair bit.

If you do take the CTA train (which I certainly would on the way to the show - getting a cab back to the Roosevelt area after it's over would run you about $7-9, if you decide it's late and you don't want to bother with the train), you can take the red or the orange/green line (the orange and green train are essentially the same train for the section of track you'd be on). You'll want to figure out if the red line is running above ground the night you go the theater (they've been doing work on the tunnels this year, so the "red line" may not be running on the red line tracks for the section you're on. If you do go underground, you'll get off at Lake & State (Washington station is closed temporarily due to a building being built on top of it). If you're above ground, get off at either Washington Station (same name, different station), or State & Lake.

Before the show I would recommend stopping at the argo teahouse next door. It's a local Chicago chain, and they do something like 30 different kinds of tea (hot and cold). My wife likes their bubble tea, I like the "tea squeeze', which is lemonade and hibiscus tea, or their mint chocolate tea. Just be careful putting your straw into the drink - they use inflexible tops and fill cups to the brim, which often results in tea pussing up through the top when you press the straw in, so it sits in the lid until spilling in your lap when you angle the cup to take a sip.

I'll give some thought to dessert, but my initial inclination might be towards Aria, the restaurant in the Fairmont Hotel on 200 North Columbus, about 5 blocks from the theater (~10 minute walk).

Grr, my Chicago nature grates at you referring to anything near Roosevelt as "inside the loop". It's definitely South Loop, being almost 10 blocks away from the actual Loop.

The area around Roosevelt station is pretty safe; I've walked it late at night (either up to the loop on foot or to the station) after functions on the museum campus many times without any problems. That said, if you don't get a car service (or a cab - better choice than a car service, imho), be aware of your surroundings, especially if you're out when it has gotten really late.

If you're curious, you can google the Chicago Police "Clearmap" and get a map of all crimes reported in the city over a particular period. This can be a little unnerving if you don't appreciate how much crime actually occurs in a city, since it will look like a fair bit.

If you do take the CTA train (which I certainly would on the way to the show - getting a cab back to the Roosevelt area after it's over would run you about $7-9, if you decide it's late and you don't want to bother with the train), you can take the red or the orange/green line (the orange and green train are essentially the same train for the section of track you'd be on). You'll want to figure out if the red line is running above ground the night you go the theater (they've been doing work on the tunnels this year, so the "red line" may not be running on the red line tracks for the section you're on. If you do go underground, you'll get off at Lake & State (Washington station is closed temporarily due to a building being built on top of it). If you're above ground, get off at either Washington Station (same name, different station), or State & Lake.

Before the show I would recommend stopping at the argo teahouse next door. It's a local Chicago chain, and they do something like 30 different kinds of tea (hot and cold). My wife likes their bubble tea, I like the "tea squeeze', which is lemonade and hibiscus tea, or their mint chocolate tea. Just be careful putting your straw into the drink - they use inflexible tops and fill cups to the brim, which often results in tea pussing up through the top when you press the straw in, so it sits in the lid until spilling in your lap when you angle the cup to take a sip.

I'll give some thought to dessert, but my initial inclination might be towards Aria, the restaurant in the Fairmont Hotel on 200 North Columbus, about 5 blocks from the theater (~10 minute walk).
    Sorry about the incorrect terminology - I will, henceforth, call it the South Loop. I obviously don't get to Chicago enough to get the neighborhoods set in my mind. Thanks for the tip about Clearmap, I'll definitely take a look at it. I tend to pay close attention to my surroundings and we will always be in a group, so I'm not too nervous about being out at night and wandering around. I will suggest the teahouse to everyone and try to keep the lid/straw issue in the back of my mind. Bummer about Moonstruck Chocolate - that sounds right up our alley.

Thanks for all the input. Any other suggestions you might have would be appreciated. We are hoping to do the free Thursday night at the Art Institute. Do you know if that is really crowded and miserable? Would we be better off going during the day? I know it is under renovation/remodeling so that not all the Impressionist display is available.

I've only stopped by the Art Institute during free hours once (I'm a member, so don't pay admission during regular hours), on the Fourth of July. It wasn't crowded at all, though obviously the big attraction was the Taste of Chicago right outside, followed by the fireworks.

But, although Chicago gets a fair number of tourists year round, next week is NOT during heavy tourist season, as you're between the end of the summer/fall season (it's in the 30s this week, although next week will be much warmer) and the beginning of shopping season. It's almost absurd how many people come from all over the midwest to spend a few days of vacation/christmas shopping.

Back to the AIC. The lion's share (pardon the pun) of the impressionist and old masters' works are off display. Don't expect to see much, but there will be a few of the more famous pieces, as well as portions of famous collections. It is my understanding that they are periodically rotating some of them, so I don't know what will be on display next week.

The good news is that I just received the member email a few minutes ago (viewable online here), and there is a new exhibit opening this weekend - The Divine Art: Four Centuries of European Tapestries, which should be good.

Ordinarily I would highly recommend the Shedd Aquarium, as it is one of my favorite places in the city. The oceanarium closed around 6-7 weeks ago for major reconstruction, however, and will remain closed until next summer. Shark Reef and Amazon Rising are very nice exhibits, and the rest of the aquarium has continued to improve, but without the oceanarium I'm not sure if it is worth attending to the exclusion of something else.

The Field Museum is almost always worth a stop, and the current major exhibit is on Aztec culture. Or you could stop by Adler Planetarium to see the telescope that McCain keeps complaining about Obama "getting federal money for his hometown" for.

I'll give some more thought to less obvious options.

Smile

Aww man, nobody wants to hang with me when they come to Chicago. Either I was a loser to begin with, or this mod thing has made me into the Niedermayer of the DBR.

I guess it's not too early to start drinking.
    I believe next spring's American Association of Physical Anthropology meetings are in Chicago. Will contact you when I have details ... must find New Glarus beer.

You are NOT Niedermayer ... and you are NOT a loser. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't notice your location until you mentioned it.

And hey, it looks as though you are becoming more of a regular on the OTB and LTE. Remember that the LTE is full of good, shiny, happy, people. No losers here!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I believe next spring's American Association of Physical Anthropology meetings are in Chicago. Will contact you when I have details ... must find New Glarus beer.
    You want to come to Chicago to drink beer from Wisconsin?

I've only stopped by the Art Institute during free hours once (I'm a member, so don't pay admission during regular hours), on the Fourth of July. It wasn't crowded at all, though obviously the big attraction was the Taste of Chicago right outside, followed by the fireworks.

But, although Chicago gets a fair number of tourists year round, next week is NOT during heavy tourist season, as you're between the end of the summer/fall season (it's in the 30s this week, although next week will be much warmer) and the beginning of shopping season. It's almost absurd how many people come from all over the midwest to spend a few days of vacation/christmas shopping.

Back to the AIC. The lion's share (pardon the pun) of the impressionist and old masters' works are off display. Don't expect to see much, but there will be a few of the more famous pieces, as well as portions of famous collections. It is my understanding that they are periodically rotating some of them, so I don't know what will be on display next week.

The good news is that I just received the member email a few minutes ago (viewable online here), and there is a new exhibit opening this weekend - The Divine Art: Four Centuries of European Tapestries, which should be good.

Ordinarily I would highly recommend the Shedd Aquarium, as it is one of my favorite places in the city. The oceanarium closed around 6-7 weeks ago for major reconstruction, however, and will remain closed until next summer. Shark Reef and Amazon Rising are very nice exhibits, and the rest of the aquarium has continued to improve, but without the oceanarium I'm not sure if it is worth attending to the exclusion of something else.

The Field Museum is almost always worth a stop, and the current major exhibit is on Aztec culture. Or you could stop by Adler Planetarium to see the telescope that McCain keeps complaining about Obama "getting federal money for his hometown" for.

I'll give some more thought to less obvious options.
    Thanks for the info - especially the tapestry exhibit and warmer weather next week. I was disappointed when I saw online that the Oceanarium was closed. I saw baby beluga last fall when I was in Chicago but our birthday girl hasn't been to Chicago before so I'm sorry she won't get a chance to see it. I really liked Amazon Rising and the tiny frogs. My only request for the weekend is the Art Institute - I'm letting the others make the other choices. The best part of the trip for me is spending time with family that I don't get to see often enough. I haven't figured out the shopping bit myself - most of the stores are all over the country and those that aren't, I probably can't/won't afford.

If you are ever in KC, let me know and I'll point out some of the fun things here.

You want to come to Chicago to drink beer from Wisconsin?

I'll try to persuade him to have some of the specialty Goosers while he searches for the New Glarus products which have a very limited availability outside Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'll try to persuade him to have some of the specialty Goosers while he searches for the New Glarus products which have a very limited availability outside Wisconsin.
    In the spring I think specialty Goosers means Kilgubbin!

Thumbs up

In the spring I think specialty Goosers means Kilgubbin!
    That's all the convincing I need!

Not that I'm trying to pad my post count by putting this in a new post but I have a question as a behind the technological times person.

I think my VCR is giving up the ghost. I don't want to replace it with another VCR - if you can even find one, but I don't know anything about DVRs. Do they have a hard drive in them or do you record directly to a DVD? With TIVO, do you have to pay for the monthly service? Anybody have any recommendations?
    I love my DVR. I pay something like $9.95 extra per month to the cable company. It has a hard drive that holds about 24 hours of HD or 100 hours of regular D.

The user interface is beautiful. I just go to the show listing (the guide) and click on whatever I want to record. Lots of options like record this one or series, record new only, etc. Nice save options too. And playback is easy.

The live action is great - pause, rewind, retroactively record shows that you are watching.

DVR is a beautiful thing.

Red face DVR ... is it really beautiful?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I love my DVR. I pay something like $9.95 extra per month to the cable company. It has a hard drive that holds about 24 hours of HD or 100 hours of regular D.

The user interface is beautiful. I just go to the show listing (the guide) and click on whatever I want to record. Lots of options like record this one or series, record new only, etc. Nice save options too. And playback is easy.

The live action is great - pause, rewind, retroactively record shows that you are watching.

DVR is a beautiful thing.
    Our DVR also has a beautiful interface that only my wife and daughter know how to use. As a result, we have all the HGTV shows you'd ever want in that 24 hours of storage.

DVR may be a beautiful thing, but I'm waiting to figure it all out before I agree with Fish.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Pwing :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Our DVR also has a beautiful interface that only my wife and daughter know how to use. As a result, we have all the HGTV shows you'd ever want in that 24 hours of storage.

DVR may be a beautiful thing, but I'm waiting to figure it all out before I agree with Fish.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    If DVR is beautiful, and you behold it with your eye, then is beauty in the eye of the beholder?

Shout out to PW's

Come 'on everybody let's start drafting. BillyBreen is probably going to be back next Wednesday, November 5th and we should get the LTE over 5000 before he's back.

Let's go post whores/clap-clap/clap-clap-clap!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Come 'on everybody let's start drafting. BillyBreen is probably going to be back next Wednesday, November 5th and we should get the LTE over 5000 before he's back.

Are you talking to me?

Are you talking to me?
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post

LTE>5000-might happen in the next 24 hours

That's the spirit!

Let's go post whores/clap-clap/clap-clap-clap

Way to chime in, devildeac!