Page 2531 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 15312031243124812521252925302531253225332541258126313031 ... LastLast
Results 50,601 to 50,620 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Hobbit hairy feel, less gold. I'm not going to do anything that requires any effort whatsoever beyond what I do in my normal day. There are 25 or 30 customers in North America who will only call me because they trust me and hate my co-workers. I have described my co-workers. Everyone feels that way about them. At any given moment I have between 10 and thirty or so babies I am helping with throughout North America. It's no exaggeration to say I have 10,000 x-rays on my phone and I'm constantly getting updates on these kids from the doctors. It is pure adrenaline for me because it's like working at the bedside at twenty-five or so different places. It's heaven and I absolutely love it. I would get in so much trouble if my co-workers knew because I'm not getting paid for this and these are not my customers. I'm just doing it because I enjoy it and the doctors want my help.

I assumed it was like Words With Friends and I only know that term because about 10 years ago someone asked me to play that with them and I said no. I have no idea what Wordle is and now that you challenged me I can promise you I won't look it up. I am a very peculiar man.
    Whoa. You really do not like being accused of lying - or of being a leprechaun- or of being a lying leprechaun.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    For those of you who do Wordle, I have been led down the rabbit hole by well meaning friends into the Quordle and Mathler rooms. You have been warned. There is also Nerdle but it doesn't load properly on my computer, thank goodness and Hard Mathler, but the beauty of these distractions for me is that they don't take much time. Hard Mathler would require much more concentration than I want to give to what is supposed to be a 5 minute distraction.

Semantle though - wow. I'm trying it today for the first time. I got to 992/1000 with a similarity of 49.83 in 3 guesses (lucky guess on the first word) and can't get any closer. I'm pausing with the plan to come back to it later, but I'm thinking this one might be a special occasion game for days when I feel like spending a couple of hours pondering synonyms. In the end though, I'd probably enjoy working a jigsaw puzzle more. We'll see.

Semantle is one that I would be willing to discuss here, it's approach to finding the secret word screams for teamwork, so, if any other denizens of the LTE want to form a team, say the word and I'll share what I've done so far today.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Whoa. You really do not like being accused of lying - or of being a leprechaun- or of being a lying leprechaun.
    Haha! I don't have enough feelings to ever get them hurt. I was explaining why I wouldn't know what that was. And letting Wilson know I'm obstinate enough to never look it up. It is impossible for any of you to make me angry or upset. I worry about doing that to all of you guys because I'm not that nice. I think all of y'all are.

Whenever anybody calls me a nice person, I get a bit miffed.

I do not aspire to be a nice person, I aspire to be a decent human being. To me there is a huge gulf between the two. (Nice people let neo-nazis sleep on their sofa.) I took an online quiz once that told me I am Lawful Good. That made me angry until I saw a t-shirt that said, "Lawful Good: it doesn't mean Lawful Nice" and after that I could embrace my alignment better. (I still think there are elements of Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, and Lawful Neutral in there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post

I do not aspire to be a nice person, I aspire to be a decent human being. To me there is a huge gulf between the two. (Nice people let neo-nazis sleep on their sofa.) I took an online quiz once that told me I am Lawful Good. That made me angry until I saw a t-shirt that said, "Lawful Good: it doesn't mean Lawful Nice" and after that I could embrace my alignment better. (I still think there are elements of Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, and Lawful Neutral in there.)
    Cannot spork. Hear, hear!

For those of you who do Wordle, I have been led down the rabbit hole by well meaning friends into the Quordle and Mathler rooms. You have been warned. There is also Nerdle but it doesn't load properly on my computer, thank goodness and Hard Mathler, but the beauty of these distractions for me is that they don't take much time. Hard Mathler would require much more concentration than I want to give to what is supposed to be a 5 minute distraction.

Semantle though - wow. I'm trying it today for the first time. I got to 992/1000 with a similarity of 49.83 in 3 guesses (lucky guess on the first word) and can't get any closer. I'm pausing with the plan to come back to it later, but I'm thinking this one might be a special occasion game for days when I feel like spending a couple of hours pondering synonyms. In the end though, I'd probably enjoy working a jigsaw puzzle more. We'll see.

Semantle is one that I would be willing to discuss here, it's approach to finding the secret word screams for teamwork, so, if any other denizens of the LTE want to form a team, say the word and I'll share what I've done so far today.
    I truly hate you for this.

Haha! I don't have enough feelings to ever get them hurt. I was explaining why I wouldn't know what that was. And letting Wilson know I'm obstinate enough to never look it up. It is impossible for any of you to make me angry or upset. I worry about doing that to all of you guys because I'm not that nice. I think all of y'all are.
    This obstinate part, we share.
    For example:
    • I've never seen Fight Club, nor will I.
    • I've never seen The Sixth Sense, nor will I.
    • I've never heard the song 'What Does the Fox Say?', nor will I.
    • I will not eat bell peppers under any circumstances.*
    • I will not eat meatloaf under any circumstances, (and no, your meatloaf isn't special).
    • Even though it's her car, I put my foot down when my wife wanted to choose a carolina blue one (surely y'all can appreciate that).
    • I hate Fleetwood Mac and will summarily change the music if they come up, no questions asked.
    • I will never again willingly travel to New Jersey.
    • I will never go to the Barves' new stadium for a game, concert, or any other event.**
    • I wear Levi's. Those are the jeans I like. I do not want any other brand and I will not try them.
    • I will not move to the suburbs. I will choose considerably less square footage and a smaller lot for this purpose.
    *tiny dispensation for pimento cheese, but even then, there is some pimento cheese that tastes like bell peppers, and I will literally spit it out.
    **until such time as I can get there on a train, which will be never.

I try to be nice. You never know who you might touch with a smile and a kind word. Nice doesn’t mean a pushover to me, it means being consciously empathetic and doing your best to treat people accordingly.

Now, I’m also the person who thinks more people deserve to be punched and I believe both my beliefs co-exist quite well thank you.

As Bostondevil has basically pointed out, being kind isn't the same thing as being nice. Sometimes, the kind thing to do doesn't present as nice, at least not in the moment.

This is wonderful and I wholeheartedly support that distinction. I also don't think most people could make or understand the distinction. But, nice people made the best Nazis as it were. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s are the ones who fight back.

So I have had 29 guesses. I am not scared to guess away. My best is 985/1000 with 43.29 similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    So I have had 29 guesses. I am not scared to guess away. My best is 985/1000 with 43.29 similarity.
    I will share my top 5 words if you will.

Although, to be fair, I did break a couple of hearts. I felt bad about it. Sometimes I still do although I think they got over me.
    I also broke a few hearts. It always happened on blind dates when they first saw me. But after they got accustomed to my wit, charm, and personality their disappointment increased exponentially . . . at least until they married the first person they dated after me.

I will share my top 5 words if you will.
    I got it on the 51st try.
    I will not be playing that game again.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I got it on the 51st try.
    I will not be playing that game again.
    Yeah, I think it's going to take too long to play everyday. I've made 25 guesses. I got my top word on guess number 3. It's too much. I have mentally shifted to teamwork mode. So, I'm going to share my top words and would welcome anybody else doing the same. Don't look if you want to play by yourself.

Here are my top 5 words:

devotion 49.83 992/1000
    dedication 46.79 989/1000
    passion 43.17 984/1000
    commitment 37.77 961/1000
    love 36.07 943/1000

My first word today was love. Devotion, as I said before, was guess number 3. It's been downhill since then.

Yeah, I think it's going to take too long to play everyday. I've made 25 guesses. I got my top word on guess number 3. It's too much. I have mentally shifted to teamwork mode. So, I'm going to share my top words and would welcome anybody else doing the same. Don't look if you want to play by yourself.

Here are my top 5 words:

devotion 49.83 992/1000
    dedication 46.79 989/1000
    passion 43.17 984/1000
    commitment 37.77 961/1000
    love 36.07 943/1000

My first word today was love. Devotion, as I said before, was guess number 3. It's been downhill since then.
    I was logged in on my work computer and did not want to start over, so I gave up and got the answer. Just to understand the whole thing and see if I thought it was worth trying to play again tomorrow. doubtful. Maybe on a REALLY boring day.

I will tell you that my top word was commendation 985/1000

and the wave based on the Great Wave off Kanagawa.
    I have a print of this on my wall. What I don't have on my walls* are the drawings that my grandfather brought with him when he moved to the US permanently after WWII. These were pieces that were supposedly on the walls of the family castle back in the day. As artist's would travel the countryside they would create and leave behind art as compensation for food and lodging. At least that is how the story goes.

*Clearly a mistake on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I have a print of this on my wall. What I don't have on my walls* are the drawings that my grandfather brought with him when he moved to the US permanently after WWII. These were pieces that were supposedly on the walls of the family castle back in the day. As artist's would travel the countryside they would create and leave behind art as compensation for food and lodging. At least that is how the story goes.

Whooooa, that's so rad. I love Japanese woodblock art.
    We have a couple of the decorative botanical textile panels that we brought back from our trip to Japan a few years back hanging in our house now that I just adore.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Whooooa, that's so rad. I love Japanese woodblock art.
    We have a couple of the decorative botanical textile panels that we brought back from our trip to Japan a few years back hanging in our house now that I just adore.
    Apropos of a post from earlier this week, Japan is the penultimate entry on my countdown of "places I desperately want to return to."

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

Holy crap. That would be absolutely amazing.