Page 2504 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 15042004240424542494250225032504250525062514255426043004 ... LastLast
Results 50,061 to 50,080 of 67416
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Over Achy Breaky Heart?!? Puh-lease.
    LOL. I accidentally heard Achy Breaky Heart live in Charleston, WV when the Cyrus craze was in full swing. Just driving around in the mountains in my new '92 Miata, I decided on a whim to go to West Virginia. Wall-to-wall people for a quarter-mile. I had no idea who the guy was. I think the event was the Sternwheeler Regatta?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I am absolutely not a Bruno Mars fan. Not that huge a Prince fan. I owned all of the music from last night. But y'all didn't all grow up on the mean streets of Mt Airy like I did. Might have been lost on y'all. I get it.
    No, not Mt. Airy, but I did grow up in a little town called Mayodan, NC. The late Roy Thompson, a writer for the Winston-Salem Journal, wrote an article on the meanest towns in the Piedmont and Mayodan was in the top 3. Mayodan back then was a poor mill town and Saturday night fights were common in the 2 pool halls. Most of the citizens didn't like the article but couldn't put up a good argument that the article wasn't true. As for the music, I still love the Mo-Town greats. Give me the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops and my all-time favorite, The Platters.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Agreed on Prince.
    I might’ve joined Club Clem by killing the 2021 NFL thread with a little “Hip Hop History for the Loud and Wrong.”
    Yeah I don't want old white people (and I say this as an old white person) commenting on something they never liked in the first place. I won't tell y'all how to experience classic rock and 80s pop. I wasn't listening to it during my formative years. The first music I spent my own actual money on was LL's "Radio". I was all in on rap and hip hop from the early days. I was literally the only white kid on my AAU team, and discovered rap hanging out with those guys. It was an amazing experience for a kid who grew up priming tobacco in the summers. Completely changed my world view. And rap was the musical background to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    No, not Mt. Airy, but I did grow up in a little town called Mayodan, NC. The late Roy Thompson, a writer for the Winston-Salem Journal, wrote an article on the meanest towns in the Piedmont and Mayodan was in the top 3. Mayodan back then was a poor mill town and Saturday night fights were common in the 2 pool halls. Most of the citizens didn't like the article but couldn't put up a good argument that the article wasn't true. As for the music, I still love the Mo-Town greats. Give me the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops and my all-time favorite, The Platters.
    I remember riding the activity bus up to play Madison-Mayodan back in the day. What a horrible ride, but they had some really good teams.

Yeah I don't want old white people (and I say this as an old white person) commenting on something they never liked in the first place.
    And that's why this is my first comment related to the half time show. Depending on how you count, I have catalogued at least 25 different languages in my music collection (and that's after intentionally excluding some that were used in a piece of music non-organically), so I like LOTS of different styles of music. But hip-hop and rap are really pretty much the only genres I don't really care for (and even there, I make exceptions). Needless to say, that halftime show just didn't do it for me. I actually preferred the one a few years ago that featured the Black-Eyed Peas, since I preferred their poppier* sound.

*Look, mom, I made an adjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    And that's why this is my first comment related to the half time show. Depending on how you count, I have catalogued at least 25 different languages in my music collection (and that's after intentionally excluding some that were used in a piece of music non-organically), so I like LOTS of different styles of music. But hip-hop and rap are really pretty much the only genres I don't really care for (and even there, I make exceptions). Needless to say, that halftime show just didn't do it for me. I actually preferred the one a few years ago that featured the Black-Eyed Peas, since I preferred their poppier* sound.

*Look, mom, I made an adjective.

Great post. That is exactly the way I felt about Prince and Bruno Mars. I wasn't the person most qualified to comment on them. I recognize people love them and found these shows to be fantastic.

I am not qualified to criticize anybody's musical tastes because I tuned out of the popular music world when disco became a thing, and I have not tuned back in since. So I am stuck in time, and across several musical genres. Anything rock or pop post-"Staying Alive", anything classical post-1900, anything country post-1990, and anything jazz post-1960 are pretty much unlistenable to me in general. I'll grant that there are the odd exceptions to each (for example, I have an odd liking for Andreas Vollenweider). It is pretty difficult for me to find anything to listen to on the car radio, although since moving to Tennessee I have found an oldies country station that is mostly tolerable. The groups y'all discuss on this board read like alphabet soup to me.

I remember riding the activity bus up to play Madison-Mayodan back in the day. What a horrible ride, but they had some really good teams.
    They called the short buses “activity busses” back then?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Well that was mean-spirited. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    One day at work I got a new perspective on short buses. Our facility had a short bus shuttle that ran back and forth between two major buildings which are a bit more than a mile apart. Always considered the short bus to be just a smallish unit of no particular merit.

However, one morning the short bus driver, a middle-aged woman, went completely rogue. She started smashing into cars that were moving, the cops showed up and did the old blockade maneuver around her bus, at which time she more than decimated the Essex Junction police force's cruiser fleet..I think she mangled five or six of them before they yanked her off the short bus. They may be short, but they pack a wallop.

Why on earth would they make black-colored toilet paper?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    For those who like a challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    For those who like a challenge?
    Or a guessing game.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Once you go black, you never go back.

I really think it was Le Word, but then they realized...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I really think it was Le Word, but then they realized...
    You gotta lotta splainin to do.

Also Wake Forest is the ACC team I hate 2nd most.

Seriously? Why?
    I didn’t think anybody hated Wake Forest.

Who is first?

Well we know who OPK’s most hated ACC team is…BC, with that fake mascot of theirs.