Page 2405 of 2761 FirstFirst ... 1405190523052355239524032404240524062407241524552505 ... LastLast
Results 48,081 to 48,100 of 55202
  1. #48081
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Pretty much your conversation, in fact. FWIW, I would have loved to have been there. I'll bet you even did it with relative gentleness, but 7th grade is just such fertile ground for a total smackdown. Kids that really don't know anything, yet, but are brimming with unfounded confidence. But I'm sure you piloted him in the right direction.
    Nah I wasnít that gentle. I just barfed out like a solid two paragraphs of (accurate, but inscrutable) jargon before noting my graduate degree in literal boat history and he turned red and piped down.

  2. #48082
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    One oar the other of you is correct. Have we lost Clem, yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We lost Clem a long time ago (he's always been a little dinghy).



    Still time for an aboat face?
    I think where Clem is, it WOULD be an aboat face

  3. #48083
    I hate the pun crap, but I am suuuuuper interested in the history of ship building.

  4. #48084
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I did not get the part. I forget if I mentioned that it was down to me or one other actor who happens to be one of my closest friends. So, win-win. And now I get to go to one more Duke game in January cause I won't have rehearsal.

  5. #48085
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I hate the pun crap, but I am suuuuuper interested in the history of ship building.
    Actually, so am I. I'd love to hear the two paragraphs and see if I could scrut them.

  6. #48086
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Actually, so am I. I'd love to hear the two paragraphs and see if I could scrut them.
    I would be very interested in a 20 word history of ship building.

  7. #48087
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I did not get the part. I forget if I mentioned that it was down to me or one other actor who happens to be one of my closest friends. So, win-win. And now I get to go to one more Duke game in January cause I won't have rehearsal.
    Sorry to hear that.

  8. #48088
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Pretty much your conversation, in fact. FWIW, I would have loved to have been there. I'll bet you even did it with relative gentleness, but 7th grade is just such fertile ground for a total smackdown. Kids that really don't know anything, yet, but are brimming with unfounded confidence. But I'm sure you piloted him in the right direction.
    You know, yes and no. I think kids need to be taught that adults aren't always right --- and that some of them are really dumb and uninformed. I will never forget being in a summer daycare at 6 or 7 and getting into an argument with a teacher about which state was the largest. I had family living in Alaska and had been there and knew all about the state but the teacher kept pointing at the map and saying, "Look, CLEARLY Texas is the largest." He was not messing around.

  9. #48089
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I think where Clem is, it WOULD be an aboat face
    Heíd probably have a-yacht to say about that!

  10. #48090
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I would be very interested in a 20 word history of ship building.
    That's...definitely not a thing.

  11. #48091
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I would be very interested in a 20 word history of ship building.
    Ancient Egyptians bonded wooden planks.
    Trade and military uses propelled development.
    Wood? Steel? Fiberglass? Whatever.
    Carnival Cruise Lines is evil.

  12. #48092
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ancient Egyptians bonded wooden planks.
    Trade and military uses propelled development.
    Wood? Steel? Fiberglass? Whatever.
    Carnival Cruise Lines is evil.
    This could be a fierce haiku.

  13. #48093
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    I saw a bass wearing a bowtie today. Very sofishticated.

  14. #48094
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    This could be a fierce haiku.
    Mighty Egyptians
    Bragging about their fast ships
    Trading on the Nile.

    But Baby Moses
    Sailing on a raft of reeds
    Defeated them all.

    Then the Phoenicians
    Mediterranean Kings!
    But Tyre laid to waste.

    Vikings and the Celts
    Took to the seas to plunder
    And their culture spread.

    Soon it was Spaniards
    And Pilgrims and the English
    East India Tea Co.

    Pirates roamed the seas
    How much do their earrings cost?
    A buccaneer, duh.

    Large Ships of the Line
    Gave way to Dreadnoughts and subs
    Then carriers ruled.

    The Love Boat broadcast
    Titanic was a movie
    Carnival Cruise Line is run by a bunch of criminal dimwits set upon destroying all that is good and holy in the world.

  15. #48095
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    (I may have broken form there at the end)

  16. #48096
    While I am glad basketball is back in session, these noncompetitive games aren't easy to watch.

  17. #48097
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You know, yes and no. I think kids need to be taught that adults aren't always right --- and that some of them are really dumb and uninformed. I will never forget being in a summer daycare at 6 or 7 and getting into an argument with a teacher about which state was the largest. I had family living in Alaska and had been there and knew all about the state but the teacher kept pointing at the map and saying, "Look, CLEARLY Texas is the largest." He was not messing around.
    I have mixed emotions. I think girls need to be taught to speak up more when they think an adult is wrong. I have had one too many 10-12 year old boy treat me as though I don't know what I'm talking about to completely agree with this advice. Certainly kids should be taught to ask questions but teaching them that some adults are really dumb and uniformed does not give them to tools to discern whether it's the adults who are dumb and uniformed or if it's them.

  18. #48098
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    (I may have broken form there at the end)
    True traditional haiku donít actually have to be 5-7-5.

  19. #48099
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    True traditional haiku donít actually have to be 5-7-5.
    True. But Iíve never seen 5-7-27.

  20. #48100
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    True. But Iíve never seen 5-7-27.
    Youíre a poet innovator!

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •