Page 2396 of 2469 FirstFirst ... 139618962296234623862394239523962397239824062446 ... LastLast
Results 47,901 to 47,920 of 49366
  1. #47901
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I ran a red light today. Just drove right through it thinking I had the green light. No accident occurred but halfway through the intersection I realized the light was actually red. No explanation. No one was hurt, no cop saw me, but it was a bit unnerving for me. Grateful that I didn't cause an accident.
    You are not alone! Happened to me once probably about 15-17 years ago...I was in the straight lane, left arrow turned green and off I went. Luckily no accidents in my case either, this was on Fayetteville Street crossing over 40 towards Southpoint which is...not a good place for that kind of thing if you know the area.

    Unnerving is an understatement, glad you're ok!

  2. #47902
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Much as non-Christmas movies are claimed to be Christmas movies, are there songs that while not about Christmas or the holiday season but would get classified as such?


    The song I'm thinking of that makes me think this is Danke Schoen by Wayne Newton. I know, I know Ferris Bueller's Day Off says otherwise, but on my Christmas song list it does reside.
    I have some opinions about the Christmas songs that never actually mention Christmas…Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells (originally written as a Thanksgiving song), and Frosty the Snowman, to name a few. But I don’t think that’s what you’re asking.
    Owing to its inclusion on the Charlie Brown Christmas special & album, I’d say ‘Für Elise’ probably fits the bill for a lot of people. Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ has also been (inexplicably!!!) co-opted to some extent in recent years, thanks largely to the Pentatonix. Lastly, I’d put ‘Ave Maria’ on this list. It has obvious connections to Christmas, but is used much more broadly throughout the church year, yet most people (including me) would never listen to it in casual contexts except at CHRISTMASTIME.

    Haha, my phone autocorrects to CHRISTMASTIME and I’m not “fixing” that.

  3. #47903
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I have some opinions about the Christmas songs that never actually mention Christmas…Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells (originally written as a Thanksgiving song), and Frosty the Snowman, to name a few. But I don’t think that’s what you’re asking.
    Owing to its inclusion on the Charlie Brown Christmas special & album, I’d say ‘Für Elise’ probably fits the bill for a lot of people. Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ has also been (inexplicably!!!) co-opted to some extent in recent years, thanks largely to the Pentatonix. Lastly, I’d put ‘Ave Maria’ on this list. It has obvious connections to Christmas, but is used much more broadly throughout the church year, yet most people (including me) would never listen to it in casual contexts except at CHRISTMASTIME.

    Haha, my phone autocorrects to CHRISTMASTIME and I’m not “fixing” that.
    I listened to a Christmas playlist radio station for a few hours once, and not one song mentioned anything religious.

    -jk

  4. #47904
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I ran a red light today. Just drove right through it thinking I had the green light. No accident occurred but halfway through the intersection I realized the light was actually red. No explanation. No one was hurt, no cop saw me, but it was a bit unnerving for me. Grateful that I didn't cause an accident.
    About 30 years ago, the little town of Wake Forest had a flashing orange caution light. I don’t know what I was thinking, but apparently I saw the orange light and my brain said “stoplight is changing to red”. So I stopped and stayed stopped for many minutes. Ended up having several cars backed up behind me. No one blew their horn, flashed an obscene finger, or shot at me. Simpler times.

  5. #47905
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    About 30 years ago, the little town of Wake Forest had a flashing orange caution light. I don’t know what I was thinking, but apparently I saw the orange light and my brain said “stoplight is changing to red”. So I stopped and stayed stopped for many minutes. Ended up having several cars backed up behind me. No one blew their horn, flashed an obscene finger, or shot at me. Simpler times.
    I'm colorblind. When I see flashing lights, absent other evidence, I assume they're flashing red and stop.

    Annoys the folks behind me no end. Sucks to be them.

    -jk

  6. #47906
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You are not alone! Happened to me once probably about 15-17 years ago...I was in the straight lane, left arrow turned green and off I went. Luckily no accidents in my case either, this was on Fayetteville Street crossing over 40 towards Southpoint which is...not a good place for that kind of thing if you know the area.

    Unnerving is an understatement, glad you're ok!
    Once in 3rd grade I "came to" with the entire class looking at me and the teacher saying my name, which I gathered she'd been saying for some time. It was a harbinger of things to come. I can get VERY lost in thought. I've blown through many stops signs and lights, missed the exit ramp to my area and not realized it for miles on multiple occasions, driven right past other destinations like gas stations, etc that I frequent often...all because I'm lost in thought.

    It's very scary. It's like reading a book and realizing your several paragraphs on and you're not sure what happen because you've gone on autopilot and stopped digesting the words...except instead of reading, you're driving at 60 mph down the road and momentarily checked out.

  7. #47907
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    My question is what were you really thinking about while you were driving? I had a similar event a decade or so ago when I lived in Ohio. My brain was stuck on a work problem but I had committed to meeting some friends for dinner. Luckily, it was a bit after 5 PM and the road I was on was in a lightly trafficked area.
    I was thinking about whether or not to send Christmas cards this year. Also, this particular intersection is not a perpendicular intersection and the green lights for the cars on the crossroad are angled such that they are clearly visible to cars traveling in the direction I was traveling. It is a mistake I am not likely to make again. I've been through this intersection many, many times and I've never made that mistake before. Now that I know it's possible, I will do a better job of noticing. That's the thing about near misses, they make you more vigilant at certain intersections forever, well, they do me. I've had a couple in life, I'm always more careful when I pass that way again.

  8. #47908
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Current tally:

    Taylor - 6, George - 4.

  9. #47909
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Current tally:

    Taylor - 6, George - 4.
    Who are we rooting for?

  10. #47910
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Who are we rooting for?
    I have no rooting interest. I'm just curious.

  11. #47911
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Current tally:

    Taylor - 6, George - 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Who are we rooting for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I have no rooting interest. I'm just curious.
    Taylor is definitely more contemporary, so my guess is she will win out over time. But I guess that depends upon what kind of radio stations BD listens to.

  12. #47912
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I have no rooting interest. I'm just curious.
    Being casually cruel, in the name of being honest?

  13. #47913
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Being casually cruel, in the name of being honest?
    TBH, I didn't know what BD was talking about until this post.


    Squirrel 1 to Squirrel 2: If I cashew eating my nuts, I'm going to be very pistachio.

  14. #47914
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    TBH, I didn't know what BD was talking about until this post.


    Squirrel 1 to Squirrel 2: If I cashew eating my nuts, I'm going to be very pistachio.
    No!!!!! Please don't start something pun related!!!!! You're a monster!!!!!

  15. #47915
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    TBH, I didn't know what BD was talking about until this post.


    Squirrel 1 to Squirrel 2: If I cashew eating my nuts, I'm going to be very pistachio.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    No!!!!! Please don't start something pun related!!!!! You're a monster!!!!!
    Pecan go down this road and drive Hazel nuts, if you insist.

  16. #47916
    See y'all tomorrow!

  17. #47917
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Pecan go down this road and drive Hazel nuts, if you insist.
    Al-mond my own business on most things but when it comes to puns, I'm nuts!

    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    See y'all tomorrow!
    Don't lie, you pine for puns.

  18. #47918
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Don't lie, you pine for puns.
    I'm sure there's a kernal of truth in that
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  19. #47919
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm sure there's a kernal of truth in that
    Or maybe you've just plantered the seed
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  20. #47920
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Or maybe you've just plantered the seed
    (He said husk-ily)

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •