Page 2389 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 13891889228923392379238723882389239023912399243924892889 ... LastLast
Results 47,761 to 47,780 of 67238
    Picked the rest of my basil (brought pots in last week before the hard freeze) and made a nice little batch of pesto. A dozen cubes in the freezer for future numminess.

I dropped a bit of a grenade into the movie thread, and I'm not sorry. I stand by my assertion, which I will confidently reiterate here: A Christmas Story is trash.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I dropped a bit of a grenade into the movie thread, and I'm not sorry. I stand by my assertion, which I will confidently reiterate here: A Christmas Story is trash.
    And I (and a few others) will continue to fight you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    And I (and a few others) will continue to fight you on it.
    It's interesting: There's a pretty clear generational and regional divide. I can't relate to its midwestern-ness or its Boomer-ness in the slightest. It has genuinely given me the willies since the first time I saw it. Creeps me out to an almost uncanny degree.

It's interesting: There's a pretty clear generational and regional divide. I can't relate to its midwestern-ness or its Boomer-ness in the slightest. It has genuinely given me the willies since the first time I saw it. Creeps me out to an almost uncanny degree.
    I am not much older than you and I grew up in NC. But, my mom always told me the downtown scenes were just like the old downtown Durham Christmases back in the 40s and 50s. Carolers, decorated storefronts, etc. I am not a boomer, but I can look at it and appreciate the nostalgia for the times. Especially with all the crap going on in the world today.

I am not much older than you and I grew up in NC. But, my mom always told me the downtown scenes were just like the old downtown Durham Christmases back in the 40s and 50s. Carolers, decorated storefronts, etc. I am not a boomer, but I can look at it and appreciate the nostalgia for the times. Especially with all the crap going on in the world today.
    I'm officially the last year of being a Boomer by most definitions I've seen, but my father was a historian and passed a piece of that particular bug on to me, so I come across as older than I am, I think. I also wasn't officially raised in the Midwest, but my parents were from there, my mother and sister still live there, and we went back there for vacations often as a family. I completely understand why that movie wouldn't connect with someone who had none of that in their own background.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm officially the last year of being a Boomer by most definitions I've seen, but my father was a historian and passed a piece of that particular bug on to me, so I come across as older than I am, I think. I also wasn't officially raised in the Midwest, but my parents were from there, my mother and sister still live there, and we went back there for vacations often as a family. I completely understand why that movie wouldn't connect with someone who had none of that in their own background.
    I do think it pulls a particular set of nostalgia heart strings but lots of things can be appreciated without the observer having a personal connection. Agree it definitely helps to have that time/place context for the nuanced laughs.

I disagree, sir. It’s one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I disagree, sir. It’s one of my favorites!
    I enjoy that movie. We will watch it, Elf, Sound of Music and we will watch both of the Frozen movies.

Picked the rest of my basil (brought pots in last week before the hard freeze) and made a nice little batch of pesto. A dozen cubes in the freezer for future numminess.
    Basil? Toni Basil?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Basil? Toni Basil?
    Oh Mickey.

I'm trying to do in the football championship thread what Wilson did in the Christmas movie thread. I am opposed to expanding the playoffs beyond four teams. I could live with six but I don't want more than that. Not that anyone is going to call and ask for my input.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I'm trying to do in the football championship thread what Wilson did in the Christmas movie thread. I am opposed to expanding the playoffs beyond four teams. I could live with six but I don't want more than that. Not that anyone is going to call and ask for my input.
    How would 6 work? Play in games?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    How would 6 work? Play in games?
    Top 2 get byes.

Going to cut down the family Christmas tree.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Going to cut down the family Christmas tree.
    Why do you hate nature?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I enjoy that movie. We will watch it, Elf, Sound of Music and we will watch both of the Frozen movies.
    My children absolutely insist that Frozen is not a Christmas movie. But we watch it during Christmas break, just the same.

Closing down an office to move to another is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    My children absolutely insist that Frozen is not a Christmas movie. But we watch it during Christmas break, just the same.
    They're right. It and Sound of Music are Christmas traditions though.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Closing down an office to move to another is a pain.
    Sounds like a lot of work.