Page 2370 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 13701870227023202360236823692370237123722380242024702870 ... LastLast
Results 47,381 to 47,400 of 67385
    I did not have “The Painter of Light” on my LTE bingo card for today.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Why is he so hated but Bob Ross beloved?

(The approach to art not the person)
    I think it’s because 1) Ross’s art, formulaic though it is, is just…better than Kinkade. At least some attempts at realism and natural textures. Kinkade is more stylized and just has an, I dunno, chintzy vibe to it.
    …and
    2) Ross’s animating impulse was to take art to the masses by educating everyman in an accessible way that made regular folks feel like they could understand and appreciate art, and even make art of their own if they so chose. Kinkade, on the other hand, took art to the masses by slapping it all over coffee mugs and your grandma’s kitchen calendar and, yes, jigsaw puzzles. All of that only amplifies his work’s chintziness.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I think it’s because 1) Ross’s art, formulaic though it is, is just…better than Kinkade. At least some attempts at realism and natural textures. Kinkade is more stylized and just has an, I dunno, chintzy vibe to it.
    …and
    2) Ross’s animating impulse was to take art to the masses by educating everyman in an accessible way that made regular folks feel like they could understand and appreciate art, and even make art of their own if they so chose. Kinkade, on the other hand, took art to the masses by slapping it all over coffee mugs and your grandma’s kitchen calendar and, yes, jigsaw puzzles. All of that only amplifies his work’s chintziness.
    I don’t know enough about art to know on ‘1’. I seem to think his sin was overexposure. He’s like McDonald’s to the restaurant that hand cooks every burger. I mean, fine, he’s not high art but I still think McDonalds hits the spot on occasion.

On ‘2’ I disagree. Bob Ross was/is an empire in his own right. He just commoditized the process and not the product. They both pitched accessible art to the average consumer though.

But Bob Ross seemed a better dude, that’s a given.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Because Bob paints happy little clouds!
    And makes happy little accidents!

What I want for Christmas . . .

My internet was down from 11:24 to 5:10 PM. I'm sure my bosses will notice how convenient that was for me.

Thanks everyone. My day got better.

Glad I started the Kinkaide discussion. That helped.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Glad I started the Kinkaide discussion. That helped.
    I figured you would just do 216 pushups in a row. Trying to change culture, even small pockets of it, in any large organization if frustrating and takes time. Keep your eye on the prize. I'm still working on my little pocket nine years later.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I figured you would just do 216 pushups in a row. Trying to change culture, even small pockets of it, in any large organization if frustrating and takes time. Keep your eye on the prize. I'm still working on my little pocket nine years later.
    And don't lay hands on the people who piss me off?

At a minimum, understand the repercussions of such actions.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    At a minimum, understand the repercussions of such actions.
    Damn.

You have to hire that out. https://rentahitman.com/

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You have to hire that out. https://rentahitman.com/

-jk
    Good advice.

Good advice.
    So what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    …Bob Ross was/is an empire in his own right. He just commoditized the process and not the product. They both pitched accessible art to the average consumer though.
    Well yeah, that’s pretty much what I said. People look[ed] at Kinkade and they’re like, “this guy wants to sell me art,” whereas Ross wanted to teach them how to make art, and I think that’s a pretty significant, fundamental distinction.

Well yeah, that’s pretty much what I said. People look[ed] at Kinkade and they’re like, “this guy wants to sell me art,” whereas Ross wanted to teach them how to make art, and I think that’s a pretty significant, fundamental distinction.
    Agreed.

Eh, I'd amend it to, People look[ed] at Kinkade and they’re like, “this guy wants to sell me art,” whereas Ross wanted to sell them his branded art supplies and art lessons. Ross didn't make any money on the tv show, it was just an advertisement for his paint supplies and his very specific 'how' to paint lessons.

Bob Ross was the Bikram Yoga of the paint world. He sold everyone on a specific way and style within an art universe.

I agree he was the MUCH more decent human being but I'm not sure that should be used as an argument for or against the "goodness" of their business models.

I love this back and forth about "art"!!!!! The difference between a painter and an artist, is an artist knows when to stop. I heard that years ago, and I think that is correct. Also if you want to be absolutely blown away by pure ability, look up Jean-Antoine Watteau. I took an art history class because I thought it might be mildly interesting and I was enraptured by much of what I learned, but specifically by Watteau. My inclination is I am the foremost expert on the Rococo style from Surry County.

Hi ho, hi ho it's off to the office I go.