Page 2329 of 2380 FirstFirst ... 132918292229227923192327232823292330233123392379 ... LastLast
Results 46,561 to 46,580 of 47600
  1. #46561
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Anyone else ever lose their phone...while talking on it? If not, never mind.
    I forgot your question.

  2. #46562
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Last week, my office-mate and I nearly tore the office apart looking for a tube of toothpaste that she had JUST taken out of the box. We could not find it anywhere. And yes, we checked the fridge and freezer. Finally, it was on her chair, slid to the back crevice and her sweater was hanging over it. I thought we had lost our minds. She thought the office was haunted. Lucy and Ethel.
    I was on my way to a weeklong canoe trip (so dressed accordingly). I was fortunate and bumped to first class. This was when I lived in DC and knew I had been seated next to someone important because people from coach kept coming up to give him books and ask him questions. Also lots of coach bound media.

    About halfway through the flight I notice him start to panic. Hes looking everywhere around his seat, getting on his knees in the aisle to look under his seat. Turns out he lost his blackberry. Pretty soon theyre making announcements over the loud speaker and all his hanger-ons are on their hands and knees looking for the blackberry too. Ive gathered by now the guy is some sort of Republican bigwig based on comments made to him and that this is a VERY important blackberry.

    I volunteer to let him look around my seat but am getting nervous because I am unshaven and in a pirate teeshirt so thinking I might be suspected of being some sort of proto-antifa mole.

    This all goes on for a while until we finally land. When were preparing to leave I reached into the crevice between our seats and, sure enough, find the blackberry. He is ecstatic and a roar of applause literally erupts from the peanut gallery.

    As Im headed out of the airport Im followed out by a few reporters who tell me the guy was Ken Mehlman, the head of the RNC at the time. It was a presidential election year.

    I feel like that was my moment to alter the course of history and I blew it.

  3. #46563
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I was on my way to a weeklong canoe trip (so dressed accordingly). I was fortunate and bumped to first class. This was when I lived in DC and knew I had been seated next to someone important because people from coach kept coming up to give him books and ask him questions. Also lots of coach bound media.

    About halfway through the flight I notice him start to panic. Hes looking everywhere around his seat, getting on his knees in the aisle to look under his seat. Turns out he lost his blackberry. Pretty soon theyre making announcements over the loud speaker and all his hanger-ons are on their hands and knees looking for the blackberry too. Ive gathered by now the guy is some sort of Republican bigwig based on comments made to him and that this is a VERY important blackberry.

    I volunteer to let him look around my seat but am getting nervous because I am unshaven and in a pirate teeshirt so thinking I might be suspected of being some sort of proto-antifa mole.

    This all goes on for a while until we finally land. When were preparing to leave I reached into the crevice between our seats and, sure enough, find the blackberry. He is ecstatic and a roar of applause literally erupts from the peanut gallery.

    As Im headed out of the airport Im followed out by a few reporters who tell me the guy was Ken Mehlman, the head of the RNC at the time. It was a presidential election year.

    I feel like that was my moment to alter the course of history and I blew it.
    You just needed to draw proper inspiration from your shirt.

  4. #46564
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    On a few occasions I've been carrying stuff out to the car, looking for the car keys, which are in my mouth. Not embarrassing if no one else is around. Maybe a little bit.
    I have looked all over the house for my reading glasses which were on my head a couple of times.

  5. #46565
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Tomorrow is Barves spirit day at school, and I will of course be trolling. Current frontrunner shirt choices are NASA (because Houston) and Jetsons (because Astro). Also considering just jarring, head-to-toe black.
    Any other suggestions?

  6. #46566
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I have looked all over the house for my reading glasses which were on my head a couple of times.
    I once fussed at myself for forgetting my sunglasses. I not only had them on my head, I was actually WEARING them as they should be worn. Sun must have been really, really bright that day.

  7. #46567
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Anyone else ever lose their phone...while talking on it? If not, never mind.
    Let's just say, Yes, and leave it at that.

  8. #46568
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Tomorrow is Barves spirit day at school, and I will of course be trolling. Current frontrunner shirt choices are NASA (because Houston) and Jetsons (because Astro). Also considering just jarring, head-to-toe black.
    Any other suggestions?
    There's always not being a poozer and actually wearing a Braves t-shirt. Just a thought!

  9. #46569
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Tomorrow is Barves spirit day at school, and I will of course be trolling. Current frontrunner shirt choices are NASA (because Houston) and Jetsons (because Astro). Also considering just jarring, head-to-toe black.
    Any other suggestions?
    Steal signs?

  10. #46570
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Tomorrow is Barves spirit day at school, and I will of course be trolling. Current frontrunner shirt choices are NASA (because Houston) and Jetsons (because Astro). Also considering just jarring, head-to-toe black.
    Any other suggestions?
    First, smooth peanut butter. Now, this.

    Its like I dont even know you any more, man!
    Ftbol is life! Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  11. #46571
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    There's always not being a poozer and actually wearing a Braves t-shirt. Just a thought!
    Im not sure what a poozer is, but there is precisely zero chance I ever wear a Barves shirt again under any circumstances.

  12. #46572
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Im not sure what a poozer is, but there is precisely zero chance I ever wear a Barves shirt again under any circumstances.
    Well now, there's a story...
    The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

  13. #46573
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Im not sure what a poozer is, but there is precisely zero chance I ever wear a Barves shirt again under any circumstances.
    at least I have my memories of seeing a profoundly ticked off Chief Nok-a-Homa threaten to whack a ten year old kid in the upper deck at Fulton County Stadium... he had a decent argument to make. If I had that on film, I could make $100k selling it, easily.

  14. #46574
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well now, there's a story...
    Not really; I was a fan for 25 years or so and wore Barves shirts frequently and with pleasure. Now, theyre dead to me and not touching my skin.

  15. #46575
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Not really; I was a fan for 25 years or so and wore Barves shirts frequently and with pleasure. Now, theyre dead to me and not touching my skin.
    See, that's a preamble to a story...

  16. #46576
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    See, that's a preamble to a story...
    I suspect its because the Braves famously left Atlanta for the suburbs.

  17. #46577
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I suspect it’s because the Braves famously left Atlanta for the suburbs.
    Yes, exactly.
    Long story short(ish):

    About a month after the conclusion of the 2013 season, the Barves announced the consummation of a backroom deal that would move them out of the city of Atlanta and into Cobb County. They proclaimed that it would move them closer to their ticket-buying fanbase and alleviate the difficulties of getting to Turner Field (the stadium they played in for two decades following the 1996 Olympics, a building that Atlanta got literally for free), owing to the fact that traffic sucks and public transit in Atlanta is underdeveloped.
    Nevermind that one of the main reasons Atlanta's transit infrastructure is underdeveloped is because of 6 decades of obstructionist white flight politics centered directly in Cobb County. In the ensuing years, the Barves and their hypocritical politician partners (the ones who are adamantly opposed to "government handouts," but who managed to find half a billion dollars in tax revenue to help buy a new stadium while simultaneously furloughing teachers) then made it abundantly clear that this was about prioritizing certain parts of the fanbase and certain elements of the Atlanta region's populace:
    It is absolutely necessary the (transportation) solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta.
    --Joe Dendy, Cobb County Republican Party chairman, November 2013
    Just this week, the team amplified the 8 years of dog-whistles by inviting Cobb County native Travis Tritt to sing the national anthem just a few days after he made headlines by canceling all of his tour dates in areas with vaccine mandates of any kind.

    The Barves can burn in hell.

  18. #46578
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    Long story short(ish):

    About a month after the conclusion of the 2013 season, the Barves announced the consummation of a backroom deal that would move them out of the city of Atlanta and into Cobb County. They proclaimed that it would move them closer to their ticket-buying fanbase and alleviate the difficulties of getting to Turner Field (the stadium they played in for two decades following the 1996 Olympics, a building that Atlanta got literally for free), owing to the fact that traffic sucks and public transit in Atlanta is underdeveloped.
    Nevermind that the very reason Atlanta's transit infrastructure is underdeveloped precisely because of 6 decades of obstructionist white flight politics centered directly in Cobb County. In the ensuing years, the Barves and their hypocritical politician partners (the ones who are adamantly opposed to "government handouts," but who managed to find half a billion dollars in tax revenue to help buy a new stadium while simultaneously furloughing teachers) then made it abundantly clear that this was about prioritizing certain parts of the fanbase and certain elements of the Atlanta region's populace:

    Just this week, the team amplified the 8 years of dog-whistles by inviting Cobb County native Travis Tritt to sing the national anthem just a few days after he made headlines by canceling all of his tour dates in areas with vaccine mandates of any kind.

    The Barves can burn in hell.
    ...there's a thread about this if anyone's interested.

  19. #46579
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    Long story short(ish):

    About a month after the conclusion of the 2013 season, the Barves announced the consummation of a backroom deal that would move them out of the city of Atlanta and into Cobb County. They proclaimed that it would move them closer to their ticket-buying fanbase and alleviate the difficulties of getting to Turner Field (the stadium they played in for two decades following the 1996 Olympics, a building that Atlanta got literally for free), owing to the fact that traffic sucks and public transit in Atlanta is underdeveloped.
    Nevermind that one of the main reasons Atlanta's transit infrastructure is underdeveloped is because of 6 decades of obstructionist white flight politics centered directly in Cobb County. In the ensuing years, the Barves and their hypocritical politician partners (the ones who are adamantly opposed to "government handouts," but who managed to find half a billion dollars in tax revenue to help buy a new stadium while simultaneously furloughing teachers) then made it abundantly clear that this was about prioritizing certain parts of the fanbase and certain elements of the Atlanta region's populace:

    Just this week, the team amplified the 8 years of dog-whistles by inviting Cobb County native Travis Tritt to sing the national anthem just a few days after he made headlines by canceling all of his tour dates in areas with vaccine mandates of any kind.

    The Barves can burn in hell.
    you got that right. Pitiful move.

  20. #46580
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    Long story short(ish):

    About a month after the conclusion of the 2013 season, the Barves announced the consummation of a backroom deal that would move them out of the city of Atlanta and into Cobb County. They proclaimed that it would move them closer to their ticket-buying fanbase and alleviate the difficulties of getting to Turner Field (the stadium they played in for two decades following the 1996 Olympics, a building that Atlanta got literally for free), owing to the fact that traffic sucks and public transit in Atlanta is underdeveloped.
    Nevermind that one of the main reasons Atlanta's transit infrastructure is underdeveloped is because of 6 decades of obstructionist white flight politics centered directly in Cobb County. In the ensuing years, the Barves and their hypocritical politician partners (the ones who are adamantly opposed to "government handouts," but who managed to find half a billion dollars in tax revenue to help buy a new stadium while simultaneously furloughing teachers) then made it abundantly clear that this was about prioritizing certain parts of the fanbase and certain elements of the Atlanta region's populace:

    Just this week, the team amplified the 8 years of dog-whistles by inviting Cobb County native Travis Tritt to sing the national anthem just a few days after he made headlines by canceling all of his tour dates in areas with vaccine mandates of any kind.

    The Barves can burn in hell.
    I hate this. I hated it when it happened and I hate it more now. I think they abandoned the city and I think they did it in a manner that promotes some structural racism. As someone who thinks and cares about inequity in society their move was dishonorable. Everyone has to decide what a bridge too far is for them. And you made your stand and I respect the hell out of it. I have a few of these as well. There are artists whose music I will not listen to because they are such reprehensible people. I'm not sure if I lived in Atlanta how I would have responded. Because it would certainly mean something different to me if I lived there. I'm not in love my relationship with the team. I broke with the Mets in my early teens and with the Cowboys after college. Politically I was never a straight ticket voter until about 2015. People can probably figure this part out. My point is I respect the hell out of your decision. And there are parts of the team that trouble me deeply. But there are parts of sports that trouble me deeply on the grander scale. I can't enjoy boxing and I have never watched a UFC event because winning can frequently mean causing a concussion. And we know the ramifications. Football has been deemphasized in my life, but I still watch it and feel a bit slimy sometimes when I do. Hell, I went to Carolina and both love and respect the University and their educational mission while thinking that the academic Scandal was horrible and that the University abrogated its responsibility to hold itself accountable by trying and succeeding in skirting NCAA ramifications. Institutions should act in an honorable Manner and self police. The university failed to do that and I am embarrassed. To close this book report, the United States is a vast and varied land.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •