Page 2291 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 129117912191224122812289229022912292229323012341239127913291 ... LastLast
Results 45,801 to 45,820 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I generally just call 867-5309.
    Did Jenny ever really love Forrest?

But this is Canada. They're better than we are anyway. I'm hoping they keep me.
    I forget which comedian it was, but he described Canada as a really nice apartment stuck over a meth lab.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I forget which comedian it was, but he described Canada as a really nice apartment stuck over a meth lab.
    I used that line recently. I got it from the twitters

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Romantically? No. But she absolutely loved Forest.

Was Forrest actually not smart enough to know what love is? Did Forrest’s mom really care that much about his schooling?

So many questions

Made fresh bagel dough last night and proofed it overnight in the fridge. Just boiled/baked them this morning.

A great start to a day!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    proofed it overnight in the fridge.
    Given your profession, do you always demand proof?

I've never played a Stradivarius. Am I missing something?

Given your profession, do you always demand proof?
    I assume it's a real burden.

I assume it's a real burden.
    Mick will never be your beast of burden.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    But this is Canada. They're better than we are anyway. I'm hoping they keep me.
    I know way too many Canadians to agree with this statement. That said, every single one of them that I know would agree with this statement.

I would say yes in the movie, but definitely NO in the book. The book was TOTALLY different than the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I would say yes in the movie, but definitely NO in the book. The book was TOTALLY different than the movie.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    How so?
    Jenny was a very small part in the book. His exploits were even more outrageous than in the movie. And he really was not a very likeable character. A very, very loosely based movie. You should read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I know way too many Canadians to agree with this statement. That said, every single one of them that I know would agree with this statement.
    I won't get into the merits of individual Canadians, but their society is far more functional than ours right now...were I a clever person (I can wish) living in a foreign land looking to emigrate someplace, I would definitely choose Canada right now over the U.S., and it makes me very sad to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I won't get into the merits of individual Canadians, but their society is far more functional than ours right now...were I a clever person (I can wish) living in a foreign land looking to emigrate someplace, I would definitely choose Canada right now over the U.S., and it makes me very sad to say that.
    I will respectfully agree to disagree. It probably comes across that I have a beef against Canadians, I don't, but I do think Canada's reputation for many things far exceeds their reality. That said, I will grant that there are some areas where their way of doing things is more functional than our way of doing things.

(They are no better and perhaps worse than the US when it comes to addressing systemic racism, for example. Their vaunted healthcare system? Doesn't work the same way for people of color.)
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 09-26-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I will respectfully agree to disagree. It probably comes across that I have a beef against Canadians, I don't, but I do think Canada's reputation for many things far exceeds their reality. That said, I will grant that there are some areas where their way of doing things is more functional than our way of doing things.

(They are no better and perhaps worse than the US when it comes to addressing systemic racism, for example. Their vaunted healthcare system? Doesn't work the same way for people of color.)
    they are a lot more civil to each other than we are, that is my point...and you can mock their healthcare system, but you will find very very Canadians who would trade what they have for what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    they are a lot more civil to each other than we are, that is my point...and you can mock their healthcare system, but you will find very very Canadians who would trade what they have for what we have.
    I know. They will never, ever admit that one of the reasons their healthcare costs are kept low is because the US picks up a lot of the slack. We've had this discussion before so I know already that you don't agree with me and I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I will, however, mention again, that all the Canadians who qualify for proton beam radiation treatment are sent elsewhere to receive it, most of them to the US where the US system (and the US taxpayers) have built 13 such facilities. Canada has never built such a facility. They are very expensive to build. Their healthcare costs would be higher if they spent the money to build one. It is much cheaper to pay for the service built by another country. So, yeah, I agree, why would Canadians trade with us? I would however, be interested to know their answers if the US stopped accepting Canadian patients for treatments unavailable to them in Canada.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot wrong with the US healthcare system. It desperately needs fixing and we don't have the political will to fix it properly but I would be terrified of adopting the Canadian way, terrified. So, yeah, I'd love to have everybody's preventative care covered in the US and no one should ever go bankrupt because of medical expenses, but adopt Canada's healthcare system in the US? No, thank you.

Well they are all better than me. Admittedly low bar, but Canadians are better than I am.