Page 2271 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 127117712171222122612269227022712272227322812321237127713271 ... LastLast
Results 45,401 to 45,420 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Orcas kill great white sharks and just eat the liver. Major ocean swagger.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...cas-180972009/
    Any fava beans and Chianti?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Lots of things make for a dusty room.
    I've got a lot of dusty rooms here at my house. No matter how much I clean. Doesn't take a song to do it even.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Any fava beans and Chianti?

-jk
    Orca walks into a bar and sees a seal and a penguin having an argument. Eats them both.

My toddler got a play set with magnets. I can just see his little brain thinking, what fresh magic is this?!?!

Sage advice!

That’s a nice meet. Did you see what she had in her cart?
    Probably Pop Tarts. And crunchy peanut butter.

My toddler got a play set with magnets. I can just see his little brain thinking, what fresh magic is this?!?!
    That made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    On the Katmai Peninsula in summer, the "brown" bears (grizzlies) catch only female salmon and eat just the roe and brains, leaving the rest for birds and anyone else who wants some good fresh salmon. I've seen it. It's amazing.

Then, when the blueberries are ripe, all the bears leave the river and stuff themselves on berries for a day or two. Haven't seen that.
    The black bears in our area have been devouring our apples, blackberries and beech nuts in enormous quantities, then recycling them onto our driveway in nice chunky piles. They seem to eat everything (including chickens).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The black bears in our area have been devouring our apples, blackberries and beech nuts in enormous quantities, then recycling them onto our driveway in nice chunky piles. They seem to eat everything (including chickens).
    Your black bears are eating chickens? I find that surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Great. Now Bundabergdevil will start a Yum Chicken thread.

When they're hungry in the Spring, they'll eat anything they can grab. There are a LOT more backyard chickens these days, and this Spring the bears reduced the population. One friend had a nice, mobile chicken coop he could haul behind his large truck...one night in May a bear tore it to shreds, ate five or six chickens.https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/20...rom-bears.html

When they're hungry in the Spring, they'll eat anything they can grab. There are a LOT more backyard chickens these days, and this Spring the bears reduced the population. One friend had a nice, mobile chicken coop he could haul behind his large truck...one night in May a bear tore it to shreds, ate five or six chickens.https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/20...rom-bears.html
    Huh. We have a vibrant bear population and lots of neighborhood chickens. Never been an issue. Perhaps our bears are better fed.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Probably Pop Tarts. And crunchy peanut butter.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Huh. We have a vibrant bear population and lots of neighborhood chickens. Never been an issue. Perhaps our bears are better fed.
    Maybe better behaved?

our bears in all probability have longer hibernation periods, hence wake up hungrier? We have zero food sources here when they wake up in the Spring...trash cans and chickens beware.

p.s. just saw a National Wildlife Service article on black bears in NC, it says they are not true hibernators in the state, they just nap for days or weeks at a time..
    Last edited by budwom; 09-16-2021 at 08:49 AM.

our bears in all probability have longer hibernation periods, hence wake up hungrier? We have zero food sources here when they wake up in the Spring...trash cans and chickens beware.
    When I lived in Vermont I certainly had a longer hibernation period.

taking a very long nap between December and March is never a bad idea here. I'm plotting a few escapes for this Winter, but The Covid makes planning a bit difficult.

No bear poop in our driveway, just possum poop. Apparently, they eat a lot of persimmons.

p.s. just saw a National Wildlife Service article on black bears in NC, it says they are not true hibernators in the state, they just nap for days or weeks at a time..
    Yep, our bears do not hibernate. We get to enjoy bear sightings year round. They can get a bit aggressive in the spring, though. I have been at the coast during active bear warnings.

This actually happens. Up near the Arctic Circle pretty significant sleep pattern changes have been observed in people in winter and summer light. Makes sense.

This is anecdotal but I remember a trip to Bethel Alaska one summer and the locals were out hooping at 2 AM on the court most nights…which felt like days.

This actually happens. Up near the Arctic Circle pretty significant sleep pattern changes have been observed in people in winter and summer light. Makes sense.

This is anecdotal but I remember a trip to Bethel Alaska one summer and the locals were out hooping at 2 AM on the court most nights…which felt like days.
    When I lived in Seattle, summers are blissful, beautiful, and short. But there's something magical about being at a BBQ and realizing that even though the sun just went down, it's 11pm and you have to work in the morning.

This made me chuckle from the article - wish there were pictures!

"Once when the kids had a grand ole time whipping a basket full of spoiled eggs at the trees behind the driveway. That night the bear stood at the edge of the woods (taunting my dog) licking the trees for over an hour!"