Page 2271 of 2316 FirstFirst ... 12711771217122212261226922702271227222732281 ... LastLast
Results 45,401 to 45,420 of 46308
  1. #45401
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Orcas kill great white sharks and just eat the liver. Major ocean swagger.

    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...cas-180972009/
    Any fava beans and Chianti?

    -jk

  2. #45402
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Lots of things make for a dusty room.
    I've got a lot of dusty rooms here at my house. No matter how much I clean. Doesn't take a song to do it even.

  3. #45403
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Any fava beans and Chianti?

    -jk
    Orca walks into a bar and sees a seal and a penguin having an argument. Eats them both.

  4. #45404
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    My toddler got a play set with magnets. I can just see his little brain thinking, what fresh magic is this?!?!

  5. #45405
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Sage advice!

    That’s a nice meet. Did you see what she had in her cart?
    Probably Pop Tarts. And crunchy peanut butter.

  6. #45406
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    My toddler got a play set with magnets. I can just see his little brain thinking, what fresh magic is this?!?!
    That made me laugh.

  7. #45407
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    On the Katmai Peninsula in summer, the "brown" bears (grizzlies) catch only female salmon and eat just the roe and brains, leaving the rest for birds and anyone else who wants some good fresh salmon. I've seen it. It's amazing.

    Then, when the blueberries are ripe, all the bears leave the river and stuff themselves on berries for a day or two. Haven't seen that.
    The black bears in our area have been devouring our apples, blackberries and beech nuts in enormous quantities, then recycling them onto our driveway in nice chunky piles. They seem to eat everything (including chickens).

  8. #45408
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The black bears in our area have been devouring our apples, blackberries and beech nuts in enormous quantities, then recycling them onto our driveway in nice chunky piles. They seem to eat everything (including chickens).
    Your black bears are eating chickens? I find that surprising.

  9. #45409
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Your black bears are eating chickens? I find that surprising.
    Great. Now Bundabergdevil will start a Yum Chicken thread.

  10. #45410
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Your black bears are eating chickens? I find that surprising.
    When they're hungry in the Spring, they'll eat anything they can grab. There are a LOT more backyard chickens these days, and this Spring the bears reduced the population. One friend had a nice, mobile chicken coop he could haul behind his large truck...one night in May a bear tore it to shreds, ate five or six chickens.https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/20...rom-bears.html

  11. #45411
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When they're hungry in the Spring, they'll eat anything they can grab. There are a LOT more backyard chickens these days, and this Spring the bears reduced the population. One friend had a nice, mobile chicken coop he could haul behind his large truck...one night in May a bear tore it to shreds, ate five or six chickens.https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/20...rom-bears.html
    Huh. We have a vibrant bear population and lots of neighborhood chickens. Never been an issue. Perhaps our bears are better fed.

  12. #45412
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Probably Pop Tarts. And crunchy peanut butter.

    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

  13. #45413
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Huh. We have a vibrant bear population and lots of neighborhood chickens. Never been an issue. Perhaps our bears are better fed.
    Maybe better behaved?

  14. #45414
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Huh. We have a vibrant bear population and lots of neighborhood chickens. Never been an issue. Perhaps our bears are better fed.
    our bears in all probability have longer hibernation periods, hence wake up hungrier? We have zero food sources here when they wake up in the Spring...trash cans and chickens beware.

    p.s. just saw a National Wildlife Service article on black bears in NC, it says they are not true hibernators in the state, they just nap for days or weeks at a time..
    Last edited by budwom; 09-16-2021 at 08:49 AM.

  15. #45415
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    our bears in all probability have longer hibernation periods, hence wake up hungrier? We have zero food sources here when they wake up in the Spring...trash cans and chickens beware.
    When I lived in Vermont I certainly had a longer hibernation period.

  16. #45416
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    When I lived in Vermont I certainly had a longer hibernation period.
    taking a very long nap between December and March is never a bad idea here. I'm plotting a few escapes for this Winter, but The Covid makes planning a bit difficult.

  17. #45417
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The black bears in our area have been devouring our apples, blackberries and beech nuts in enormous quantities, then recycling them onto our driveway in nice chunky piles. They seem to eat everything (including chickens).
    No bear poop in our driveway, just possum poop. Apparently, they eat a lot of persimmons.

    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    our bears in all probability have longer hibernation periods, hence wake up hungrier? We have zero food sources here when they wake up in the Spring...trash cans and chickens beware.

    p.s. just saw a National Wildlife Service article on black bears in NC, it says they are not true hibernators in the state, they just nap for days or weeks at a time..
    Yep, our bears do not hibernate. We get to enjoy bear sightings year round. They can get a bit aggressive in the spring, though. I have been at the coast during active bear warnings.

  18. #45418
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    When I lived in Vermont I certainly had a longer hibernation period.
    This actually happens. Up near the Arctic Circle pretty significant sleep pattern changes have been observed in people in winter and summer light. Makes sense.

    This is anecdotal but I remember a trip to Bethel Alaska one summer and the locals were out hooping at 2 AM on the court most nights…which felt like days.

  19. #45419
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This actually happens. Up near the Arctic Circle pretty significant sleep pattern changes have been observed in people in winter and summer light. Makes sense.

    This is anecdotal but I remember a trip to Bethel Alaska one summer and the locals were out hooping at 2 AM on the court most nights…which felt like days.
    When I lived in Seattle, summers are blissful, beautiful, and short. But there's something magical about being at a BBQ and realizing that even though the sun just went down, it's 11pm and you have to work in the morning.

  20. #45420
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When they're hungry in the Spring, they'll eat anything they can grab. There are a LOT more backyard chickens these days, and this Spring the bears reduced the population. One friend had a nice, mobile chicken coop he could haul behind his large truck...one night in May a bear tore it to shreds, ate five or six chickens.https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/20...rom-bears.html
    This made me chuckle from the article - wish there were pictures!

    "Once when the kids had a grand ole time whipping a basket full of spoiled eggs at the trees behind the driveway. That night the bear stood at the edge of the woods (taunting my dog) licking the trees for over an hour!"

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •