Page 2244 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 124417442144219422342242224322442245224622542294234427443244 ... LastLast
Results 44,861 to 44,880 of 67648
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    7 hours by train from Union Staion in DC to South Station in Boston. We actually got in about 15 minutes early. We saw several creeks/small rivers early in the ride that had obviously overborn their continents (Name that Shakespeare play!) but no obvious flooding once we got out of Maryland. The scary part was getting repeated TORNADO WARNING, EXTREME ALERT texts on all our phones about 5 times between Baltimore and Philly. It's kinda hard to get into the basement when you're on a moving train. That said, the sky never looked like it looked when tornados hit Durham, so, I was concerned but never really scared. I did text The Drewsk and asked him if I should be worried. He said no.
    Glad you made it okay, lots of video of flooding in NYC coming through social media.

7 hours by train from Union Staion in DC to South Station in Boston. We actually got in about 15 minutes early. We saw several creeks/small rivers early in the ride that had obviously overborn their continents (Name that Shakespeare play!) but no obvious flooding once we got out of Maryland. The scary part was getting repeated TORNADO WARNING, EXTREME ALERT texts on all our phones about 5 times between Baltimore and Philly. It's kinda hard to get into the basement when you're on a moving train. That said, the sky never looked like it looked when tornados hit Durham, so, I was concerned but never really scared. I did text The Drewsk and asked him if I should be worried. He said no.
    Did everyone receive alerts at the EXACT same time?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hmm, might there have been a nanosecond (or 2 or 3) between the noises from the phones in the train car? Yeah, maybe, but it sure seemed like all the phones went off together.

No flooding that I can see in my neck of the woods and it's stopped raining. I don't know if we're supposed to get more.

I was at a MoCo planning department conference once when a weather warning came through: Scores of phones going off all at once. Quite the cacophony, and response!

-jk

Hmm, might there have been a nanosecond (or 2 or 3) between the noises from the phones in the train car? Yeah, maybe, but it sure seemed like all the phones went off together.
    My wife, despite having the same phone service, gets her alerts 60 seconds after I get mine. No idea why and she doesn’t appreciate any of my theories.

My wife, despite having the same phone service, gets her alerts 60 seconds after I get mine. No idea why and she doesn’t appreciate any of my theories.
    For whatever reason, my phone seems to be about 10 seconds behind my wife's on those kinds of things. it's a single account in my name, and we are on the exact same wifi network, but hers are faster pretty much every time. My theory is that I use more stuff on my phone, so the alerts process through more slowly, but I have no idea if that's even a truly believable explanation. It just sounds good.

Maybe she is quicker than you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe she is quicker than you are?
    Well that's just indisputable. I'm happy to go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    For whatever reason, my phone seems to be about 10 seconds behind my wife's on those kinds of things. it's a single account in my name, and we are on the exact same wifi network, but hers are faster pretty much every time. My theory is that I use more stuff on my phone, so the alerts process through more slowly, but I have no idea if that's even a truly believable explanation. It just sounds good.
    I tell my wife the government thinks I’m more important and that if an asteroid was heading to earth I’d be prioritized for saving in an underground bunker to help repopulate the planet over her.

I tell my wife the government thinks I’m more important and that if an asteroid was heading to earth I’d be prioritized for saving in an underground bunker to help repopulate the planet over her.
    Yeah, the real reason is that you won't pay close enough attention to the first one so you will need too ask your wife what it says 2 minutes later when she gets hers. She'll be able to remember what it says after reading it once and remind you.

Yeah, the real reason is that you won't pay close enough attention to the first one so you will need too ask your wife what it says 2 minutes later when she gets hers. She'll be able to remember what it says after reading it once and remind you.
    What the…?!?! Are you an actual fly on our wall? That’s some dark magic!

It is stupid beautiful today.

It is stupid beautiful today.
    Windowless office. Don't wanna hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Windowless office. Don't wanna hear it.
    In the Netherlands, it is not legal to stick someone into a windowless office. According to my Dutch brother-in-law, employees must be able to "experience the change of seasons" from their primary assigned work area.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    In the Netherlands, it is not legal to stick someone into a windowless office. According to my Dutch brother-in-law, employees must be able to "experience the change of seasons" from their primary assigned work area.

There's only two things I hate in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

There's only two things I hate in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
    So, it happens just like that. You've never even met him, and now you hate my brother-in-law. Of course, you HAVE met me as part of this board, so I guess I kinda see your point...

Ha, love the Dutch jokes (and they love the Belgian jokes). As for the Dutch watching the seasons change from cloudy to more cloudy to cloudier still and then back to cloudy, I can see why they wouldn't want to miss any of that

p.s. wife just came home with 12 pounds of beef shanks...yum...
    Last edited by budwom; 09-02-2021 at 04:54 PM.

I picked up my Labor Day steaks today.

I just touched down in California to see one of my oldest friends (plus some redwoods and hopefully some WHALES!) for his birthday.