Page 2166 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 116616662066211621562164216521662167216821762216226626663166 ... LastLast
Results 43,301 to 43,320 of 67650
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    ...and couldn't read the beer list.

Once the hyperventilating subsided, I curled my forefinger over my thumb to create a pinhole. Peering through the pinhole, I could read the menu just fine - albeit as through a soda straw.

So is this a thing? How did I get this far in life without knowing?

I repeated said approach with son's hand providing the pinhole - just to rule out that I have magic fingers.

Which I've been led to believe I actually have. Different story; different thread.
    And basically it fools your eye into thinking it is in a dark room so your pupil dilates allowing in more light.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    And basically it fools your eye into thinking it is in a dark room so your pupil dilates allowing in more light.
    Ahh - that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    not!
    Well, believe it! And I am a bread snob. Maybe we lucked out on this one, but I semi-sliced it with some butter and lightly toasted it in the oven. Was the perfect texture.

I've got literally a dozen pairs (Costco, ultra cheap, threee for 12 bucks) scattered in the house and car, got every room and seat covered...but yes, the pinhole does work in a pinch...
    Ditto! I have kitchen glasses, bonus room glasses, family room glasses, bedroom glasses, office glasses. I am thinking about adding garage glasses and a pair just for my car. I keep a pair at my mom's. Getting old sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    ...and couldn't read the beer list.

Once the hyperventilating subsided, I curled my forefinger over my thumb to create a pinhole. Peering through the pinhole, I could read the menu just fine - albeit as through a soda straw.

So is this a thing? How did I get this far in life without knowing?

I repeated said approach with son's hand providing the pinhole - just to rule out that I have magic fingers.

Which I've been led to believe I actually have. Different story; different thread.
    I had 3 surgeries on my left eye in college. Some of you may know my mother blames Shelden Williams. Anyway, the surgery lefts remnants of a silicon oil in my eye that floats across my visual field if I position my head the right way. Since it’s oil, it essentially acts as a magnifying glass and I can “look through” the bubble and blow up very small text. Neat trick. I’m basically an Avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I had 3 surgeries on my left eye in college. Some of you may know my mother blames Shelden Williams. Anyway, the surgery lefts remnants of a silicon oil in my eye that floats across my visual field if I position my head the right way. Since it’s oil, it essentially acts as a magnifying glass and I can “look through” the bubble and blow up very small text. Neat trick. I’m basically an Avenger.
    When I worked at Wake Forest University Medical Center you could just walk through the research lab area without badge access and it was a neat little cut through to get to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I always secretly hoped a spider would bite me when I was in there.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Ditto! I have kitchen glasses, bonus room glasses, family room glasses, bedroom glasses, office glasses. I am thinking about adding garage glasses and a pair just for my car. I keep a pair at my mom's. Getting old sucks.
    But it's better than the alternative.

I think it's more a focus thing similar to how aperture works in cameras.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    But it's better than the alternative.
    Yes, yes it definitely is! Thank you for slapping me back into reality.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    That is what I thought, but I didn't want CDevil throwing an axe at me for disputing him.

called tree man about the lunker that flopped in the yard last night, and he'll be here in 45 minutes! What th'? So unusual...

called tree man about the lunker that flopped in the yard last night, and he'll be here in 45 minutes! What th'? So unusual...
    That’s good, right? Wood you rather he take his time

That’s good, right? Wood you rather he take his time
    wood not! I'm just shocked I can find someone, in some line of work, who isn't booked months in advance. You can't get a sober carpenter around here until next year...

And this guy is very good, I've used him before. This is why I save receipts from 13 years ago (and longer).

wood not! I'm just shocked I can find someone, in some line of work, who isn't booked months in advance. You can't get a sober carpenter around here until next year...

And this guy is very good, I've used him before. This is why I save receipts from 13 years ago (and longer).

How is the quality of work from the drunk carpenters?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    very spotty.

Well, they do keep turning water into wine.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-mediums/pastel/the-aperture-of-our-eyes/

I think we are basically saying the same thing. What you were doing is limiting the amount of external light entering the eye, which makes the objects in your field of vision appear to have more contrast from their surroundings.

Here's how to tell if you have a crappy carpenter. If he/she has to use two hands to show you that he/she needs five boards.

When I worked at Wake Forest University Medical Center you could just walk through the research lab area without badge access and it was a neat little cut through to get to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I always secretly hoped a spider would bite me when I was in there.
    ???

tenor.jpg

Cannot spork!!!