Page 2147 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 114716472047209721372145214621472148214921572197224726473147 ... LastLast
Results 42,921 to 42,940 of 67755
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You eat a lot of vegetables and workout a lot and don’t eat desserts and dairy though.
    I think the green vegetables is a big deal because I do eat a ton of them. And I try to eat them cooked in olive oil for the most part. But I also think it's just genetics. I got lucky that I can do this diet and not kill myself or have to take Lipitor.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I think the green vegetables is a big deal because I do eat a ton of them. And I try to eat them cooked in olive oil for the most part. But I also think it's just genetics. I got lucky that I can do this diet and not kill myself or have to take Lipitor.
    Ha, I have just finished the tenth round (cordial but spirited) of my bout with my doc about statins. Don't get me started. I did manage to discover (and educate her) something rather surprising about the official Cardiology Calculator...for a guy my age, no matter what level of cholesterol you put in the tool (the lowest it will take for LDL for example) it says you need to take statins. By all other measures, my cholesterol is really really good (e.g. HDL of 73). The Statin Industrial Complex is huge!

Like you, I exercise a whole lot, eat lots of olive oil, and seemingly also have good genetics...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, I have just finished the tenth round (cordial but spirited) of my bout with my doc about statins. Don't get me started. I did manage to discover (and educate her) something rather surprising about the official Cardiology Calculator...for a guy my age, no matter what level of cholesterol you put in the tool (the lowest it will take for LDL for example) it says you need to take statins. By all other measures, my cholesterol is really really good (e.g. HDL of 73). The Statin Industrial Complex is huge!

Like you, I exercise a whole lot, eat lots of olive oil, and seemingly also have good genetics...
    That is a ridiculous thing then Budwom.

My doc was a bit stunned when I showed her this...it isn't a "calculator" when the result is predetermined before you put the numbers in...but hey, no one wants a heart attack, so I exercise a lot and eat pretty well...

We ventured to the local college town for a near normal morning out. Feels like a dream some days this past year of ours.

no one wants a heart attack, so I exercise a lot and eat pretty well...
    I remember yelling out the window of my car at a group of runners* years ago, "Remember Jim Fixx!" I had gone running earlier that day.

*And I knew some of them.

Actually more interested in Brazil-Argentina rather than England-Italy.

I accompanied my mom to her doctor's appt a couple of years ago. Her doc, who was also my doc (not anymore for either of us), told her she needed to take a statin. He had been pushing this on her before. Her total cholesterol was under 200 and her LDL was in a good range. I argued with him and made him mad. She still isn't taking them. I am still amazed at hard they are pushed on people.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I accompanied my mom to her doctor's appt a couple of years ago. Her doc, who was also my doc (not anymore for either of us), told her she needed to take a statin. He had been pushing this on her before. Her total cholesterol was under 200 and her LDL was in a good range. I argued with him and made him mad. She still isn't taking them. I am still amazed at hard they are pushed on people.
    https://www.thennt.com/nnt/statins-f...art-disease-2/

this is a very good and respected web site, run by doctors from prestigious places...this is just of their pieces on statins...the essence of what NNT does is to determine (it stands for Number Needed to Treat) how many people need to take a certain drug, in this case statins, for someone to be helped...note that this particular piece is for people with no prior heart disease)...they calculate that (as you can see) perhaps one in 100 or 150 people may avoid a heart attack, one in 50 may develop another serious problem such as diabetes.

I definitely don't take the discussion lightly...my doc and I have had a good back and forth, and I've really dug into the issue with doctor friends (one on this site)...but when I'm told to use a "calculator" to determine my need for statins, and find that the answer has been pre-determined by a bogus methodology, my BS meter lights up. In my particular case, I am of the belief that my very high HDL protects me...Hope I'm not wrong. Some other calculators https://www.mcw.edu/calculators/ldl-...rol-goal-level like this one seem more logical...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I remember yelling out the window of my car at a group of runners* years ago, "Remember Jim Fixx!" I had gone running earlier that day.

*And I knew some of them.
    Jim Fixx died just down the road from here in Hardwick, VT (he was once a neighbor of friends in Santa Barbara). Unfortunately before he took up running he had an unhealthy lifestyle, smoked a great deal, was overweight, and possibly worse of all, he had a family history of clogged arteries...Fixx was found to have had three very clogged arteries in his autopsy...I do think of him from time to time...no guarantee my daily exercise will be a successful round trip.

Jim Fixx died just down the road from here in Hardwick, VT (he was once a neighbor of friends in Santa Barbara). Unfortunately before he took up running he had an unhealthy lifestyle, smoked a great deal, was overweight, and possibly worse of all, he had a family history of clogged arteries...Fixx was found to have had three very clogged arteries in his autopsy...I do think of him from time to time...no guarantee my daily exercise will be a successful round trip.
    Bad genes can negate good choices and good genes can negate bad choices. Got a 90-year old grandma who smoked for 60 years, still eats bacon and donuts like it’s her job, and never really exercised. She didn’t start taking any medication for anything until her mid-80s. Her doctors were in disbelief when she came in after a fall and she didn’t list that she was on any meds and her measurements were all good.

Bad genes can negate good choices and good genes can negate bad choices. Got a 90-year old grandma who smoked for 60 years, still eats bacon and donuts like it’s her job, and never really exercised. She didn’t start taking any medication for anything until her mid-80s. Her doctors were in disbelief when she came in after a fall and she didn’t list that she was on any meds and her measurements were all good.
    yeah, I've seen cases like that. Conversely, I had a boss who was lean and fit, ate meticulously well, but he ended up needing a quad bypass just as his father had, at age 45 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I had a bad moment in my lecture Thursday. One of the physicians got 2 key points wrong in my lecture. One of them is something that has been discovered relatively recently and is something we taught incorrectly for a long time. That is excusable. The other issue is just a mathematical fact. Volume=flow×time. And he disputed this fact. I honestly didn't know what to say because he got a little pissy when I corrected him. No one is infallible.

I had a bad moment in my lecture Thursday. One of the physicians got 2 key points wrong in my lecture. One of them is something that has been discovered relatively recently and is something we taught incorrectly for a long time. That is excusable. The other issue is just a mathematical fact. Volume=flow×time. And he disputed this fact. I honestly didn't know what to say because he got a little pissy when I corrected him. No one is infallible.
    It’s “unfallible”.

It’s “unfallible”.
    You're right doctor.

Bad genes can negate good choices and good genes can negate bad choices.
    Being adopted, I'd like to know which I have. Bad choices is a given.

Being adopted, I'd like to know which I have. Bad choices is a given.
    Have you tried to find out? I have an aunt that put her daughter up for adoption and then said daughter found her 40 years later, in large for the reason you describe.

Lots of headlines saying heat wave in the West and I'm sitting here looking at a high of 84F today.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Do quilters and knitters run in the same circles? Or are there rumbles of epic propotions?
    The run in the same circles.

Lots of headlines saying heat wave in the West and I'm sitting here looking at a high of 84F today.
    Death Valley was a few degrees away from the hottest temperature ever recorded on earth last week.