Page 2145 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 114516452045209521352143214421452146214721552195224526453145 ... LastLast
Results 42,881 to 42,900 of 67238
    First lecture in my new capacity starts in 30 minutes. I'm actually a little bit nervous. I never feel this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    First lecture in my new capacity starts in 30 minutes. I'm actually a little bit nervous. I never feel this way.
    break a leg, or better yet, someone else's leg!

You’ll probably do great!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    break a leg, or better yet, someone else's leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You’ll probably do great!
    Yeah, this. You'll be great at breaking someone's leg...

Er, I mean, good luck!

I think it went really well. There is one absolute naysayer in the room and those are generally my favorite folks. At issue though is that he had a couple of the bedrock principles wrong and I had to find a really nice way of saying to someone who assumes that they understand the concepts, that they don't understand the concepts. And that is a tough needle to thread. I may get my legs broken.

I think it went really well. There is one absolute naysayer in the room and those are generally my favorite folks. At issue though is that he had a couple of the bedrock principles wrong and I had to find a really nice way of saying to someone who assumes that they understand the concepts, that they don't understand the concepts. And that is a tough needle to thread. I may get my legs broken.
    Do you have an app for your audience to review you?

Do you have an app for your audience to review you?
    I have juries. And their reviews can be thrilling or brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have juries. And their reviews can be thrilling or brutal.
    Ohhhh, are you a trial lawyer? I don’t think I knew that. That has to be a truly gut wrenching day the jury returns its verdict.

Ohhhh, are you a trial lawyer? I don’t think I knew that. That has to be a truly gut wrenching day the jury returns its verdict.
    Tom Petty said it best — “the waiting is the hardest part.”

Waiting for a jury to render verdict is excruciating. It’s all out of your control. Whether the case is objectively large or small, it is usually incredibly important for the litigants involved.

A fellow trial lawyer friend of mine said it best: you go on a win streak and you think you can sell ice cubes to Eskimos. Then you lose a case, and you realize they see you for the fraud you are.

Tough skin required.

Waiting for a jury to render verdict is excruciating. It’s all out of your control. Whether the case is objectively large or small, it is usually incredibly important for the litigants involved.

A fellow trial lawyer friend of mine said it best: you go on a win streak and you think you can sell ice cubes to Eskimos. Then you lose a case, and you realize they see you for the fraud you are.

Tough skin required.
    So how much of trial law is skill, and how much is, you know, facts and stuff? Care to estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So how much of trial law is skill, and how much is, you know, facts and stuff? Care to estimate?
    Wow, great question. Not sure though.

I guess I’d rather have a bad case in the hands of a good lawyer than a good case in the hands of a bad lawyer. If that makes sense.

Tough skin required.
    A member of my family was in an objectively large trial that took several years to unfold. It was excruciating.

Kudos. Thick skin indeed. That “imposter syndrome” when you lose would weigh heavy.

Hmmm, should I work on another Master's degree?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmmm, should I work on another Master's degree?
    Absolutely you should.

Education is not its own reward; proof of education and the ability to hang multiple fancy diplomas on your office wall to make others feel small is the reward.

Absolutely you should.

Education is not its own reward; proof of education and the ability to hang multiple fancy diplomas on your office wall to make others feel small is the reward.
    Larry Johnson talking about the heyday of the UNLV Runnin Rebels: "It ain't the winning. It's the collecting." What's funny is the 91/92 Blue Devils actually were what we thought the 90/91 Rebels would be.

Coffee for me, wagon ride for little man.

Wow, great question. Not sure though.

I guess I’d rather have a bad case in the hands of a good lawyer than a good case in the hands of a bad lawyer. If that makes sense.
    Absolutely. I hadn't really thought about the "screw-up" angle, but obviously, that can happen, too. So yeah, sometimes bad is bad.

Brisket tacos for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Brisket tacos for the win!
    Together, apart…makes no difference. All good.

Quiet day on the ol LTE.