Page 2046 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 104615461946199620362044204520462047204820562096214625463046 ... LastLast
Results 40,901 to 40,920 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It's always interesting to me what staples in some countries are considered disgusting in others.
    For example, most of the rest of the world thinks the idea of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich is horrific.
    yeah, this museum actually distributes barf bags, and rates disgustingness on the number of barf bags used...there are some Nordic fermented fish things that evidently smell like human corpses...

The New Yorker writer who toured the museum grew up in China, and wrote rather nicely about how American food was revolting to her when she came here as a child...she and some Asian friends occasionally meet to eat stuff Americans tend to find revolting...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...there are some Nordic fermented fish things that evidently smell like human corpses...
    Right. I made no effort to sample hákarl when I visited Iceland. Even Anthony Bourdain proclaimed it "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he'd ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The New Yorker writer who toured the museum grew up in China, and wrote rather nicely about how American food was revolting to her when she came here as a child...she and some Asian friends occasionally meet to eat stuff Americans tend to find revolting...
    Similarly, I'm not going to go so far as to cast too-specific aspersions on Asian cuisines either, but I'm also not going to be sampling a century egg anytime soon.
    Now, please pass the pork rinds.

Right.
    Smithfield's BBQ is fine, not great, but their pork rinds are absolute fire. And they almost always still have a bit of hair on them so you can floss as you eat. I like to multitask.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Smithfield's BBQ is fine, not great, but their pork rinds are absolute fire. And they almost always still have a bit of hair on them so you can floss as you eat. I like to multitask.
    OK, now I need a barf bag.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I brought along our traditional road snacks for the drive down to DC last Sunday - Fig Newtons and Goldfish crackers. The hubby brought his own newfound preferred road snack - beef jerky. I remarked that it had been a very long time since I'd eaten beef jerky, so long that although I was pretty sure I had eaten it before, I could not absolutely promise that I actually had. He needled me into having a bite. Yeah, no. I will now remember that I have eaten beef jerky though.

I stirred up trouble in the UNC denies tenure thread and now I'm afraid to go look at the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I stirred up trouble in the UNC denies tenure thread and now I'm afraid to go look at the aftermath.
    Yes you did! To the point where I decided not to weigh in, even though I went to school there.

Yes you did! To the point where I decided not to weigh in, even though I went to school there.
    How bad is it?

I have no beef with the UNC faculty. This kerfuffle is entirely the fault of the Board of Trustees.

I have no beef with the UNC faculty. This kerfuffle is entirely the fault of the Board of Trustees.
    Some folks took the tack that the Board of Trustees was right to deny her tenure because there has been some question about the depths of her claims as it pertains to the history and historiography of slavery. Without going too far I am not easily persuaded that the Board of Trustees, whose configuration was changed in a very partisan manner recently just for this purpose, is interested in defending historical accuracy. As someone with a concentration in the American Civil Rights Movement I'm quite skeptical that this was their motive.

How bad is it?
    Well, someone did point out that Roy is no longer recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Well, someone did point out that Roy is no longer recruiting.
    Oh yeah, that's right, he retired. My bad.

There's nothing too terrible happening over there at the moment. Someone had pointed out the perspective behind the "controversial" nature of the 1619 Project, which I am definitely not going to comment on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There's nothing too terrible happening over there at the moment. Someone had pointed out the perspective behind the "controversial" nature of the 1619 Project, which I am definitely not going to comment on.
    That explains why I didn't respond.

Right. I made no effort to sample hákarl when I visited Iceland. Even Anthony Bourdain proclaimed it "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he'd ever tried.

Similarly, I'm not going to go so far as to cast too-specific aspersions on Asian cuisines either, but I'm also not going to be sampling a century egg anytime soon.
    I miss that guy and would be very interested to know what ultimately sent him to do what he did, acknowledging he had some pretty substantial mental health issues throughout his life.

My wife has had a high pressure job with long hours for 12 years. And before that she worked nights and I worked days, so we shared baby/kid duty. I was usually the one lone dad on play dates, dance lessons and school trips. That has been incredibly rewarding.
    Yeah. I wouldn’t have any personal problem being a stay at home dad for a while. I’m sure I’d enjoy it. I think a few folks in the family might look down.

I’ve been the higher earner most of our time but she’s under consideration to be the ED for her non-profit, which is actually a really stressful position. If she really wanted to do it, I could envision a scenario that I stayed at home and did part-time stuff for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah. I wouldn’t have any personal problem being a stay at home dad for a while. I’m sure I’d enjoy it. I think a few folks in the family might look down.

I’ve been the higher earner most of our time but she’s under consideration to be the ED for her non-profit, which is actually a really stressful position. If she really wanted to do it, I could envision a scenario that I stayed at home and did part-time stuff for a few years.
    We were lucky to have jobs that had day and night shifts so we could share responsibilities. It was absolutely exhausting. They are exactly 2 years apart in age and only 1 parent was home at any time. But, the kids are exceedingly close to both of us and don't prefer one of us vs the other.

Today’s cartoon curriculum includes the conclusion of My Neighbor Totoro and episodes of Speed Racer and Transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    At the car dealer, hopefully they will be done soon...
    No charge, I overpaid early on to not have to pay for anything for the next 4 years/50k miles except for a set of tires and if needed a second set of brake pads. With my driving greatly reduced, it looks like a really bad bet now. So, now, I'm saving the money for the next car which will more likely be a lease. But I'm hoping to get 8 years out of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Everyone needs a side hustle...
    Must spread sporks around.