Page 2038 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 103815381938198820282036203720382039204020482088213825383038 ... LastLast
Results 40,741 to 40,760 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    https://twitter.com/JeffPennerKSHB/s...ghout-the-area

A little further east from where I crossed it. This area has always had flooding. They finally tore down the strip mall that was flooded several time in just a few years. They had to do high water rescues there - even going through the roof one time.

Texas has been getting a lot of rain while I've been sitting here in AZ.

It's raining in Arkansas and the hotel I'm staying at is attached to the Civic Center. I found an unlocked door and broke in so I could exercise in a desolate but enclosed space. I'm both proud of and somewhat disappointed in myself.

80s this week, spraying the hostas to keep the deer away, hoses get hooked up for good today, what a big, big day!

We’ve had a string of perfect spring days but it’s getting up to 90 later this week.

Waiting for the spotted lantern flies to emerge so the battle can begin anew.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We’ve had a string of perfect spring days but it’s getting up to 90 later this week.

Waiting for the spotted lantern flies to emerge so the battle can begin anew.
    what do those flies do? i.e. what is their means of annoyance?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    what do those flies do? i.e. what is their means of annoyance?
    They can be pretty destructive to certain agriculture. They came over 6 or so years ago from Asia and landed at a quarry in SE PA. They’ve just exploded despite containment efforts.

Don’t know if they’ll make it to you. They’re everywhere where we are and feed on trees. I’ve got a few trees so infested the trunks are black from their poo.

They can be pretty destructive to certain agriculture. They came over 6 or so years ago from Asia and landed at a quarry in SE PA. They’ve just exploded despite containment efforts.

Don’t know if they’ll make it to you. They’re everywhere where we are and feed on trees. I’ve got a few trees so infested the trunks are black from their poo.
    It’s a planthopper and not a true fly and there are PSAs teaching us all to smash them. All the elementary school kids know.

https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plants_Land_Water/PlantIndustry/Entomology/spotted_lanternfly/SpottedLanternflyAlert/Pages/default.aspx

Watching a Zoom with the 2 mid-40s billionaires that bought the new company.

I’m surprised how many “ums” one of them is dropping.

Watching a Zoom with the 2 mid-40s billionaires that bought the new company.

I’m surprised how many “ums” one of them is dropping.
    He has so much $ he doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    He has so much $ he doesn't care.
    Just used to a certain level of polish from folks at a certain station. Maybe i shouldn’t be.

Just used to a certain level of polish from folks at a certain station. Maybe i shouldn’t be.
    I thought that too years ago. I speak for a living and I have a certain degree of speaking polish (really I can just code-switch based on the audience). But most people who speak at conferences don't have that. Most lecturers at medical conferences have compelling research and they do stand in front of an audience, but they are not particularly great speakers.

I’m adding “Renaissance faire portapotty” to the list of my son’s diaper smells.

I somehow find myself in possession of the rather ornate George W. Jenkins Award box, a real lunker with nice hardware...

I’m adding “Renaissance faire portapotty” to the list of my son’s diaper smells.
    Children are a gift...

ornate George W. Jenkins Award box, a real lunker with nice hardware...
    In today's vernacular, whodat?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    In today's vernacular, whodat?
    I would ordinarily have not the foggiest notion, but alas I have availed myself of The Google wherein I find that George W. Jenkins was the founder of Publix supermarkets, and this is an annual award for community service.

The other side of this somewhat bizarre coin, however, is that the box came to me containing the head of my mother in law...or, to be more precise, a rather impressive clay sculpture of my mother in law fashioned more than 60 years ago by a retired Spanish admiral.

It only gets weirder.

I would ordinarily have not the foggiest notion, but alas I have availed myself of The Google wherein I find that George W. Jenkins was the founder of Publix supermarkets, and this is an annual award for community service.

The other side of this somewhat bizarre coin, however, is that the box came to me containing the head of my mother in law...or, to be more precise, a rather impressive clay sculpture of my mother in law fashioned more than 60 years ago by a retired Spanish admiral.

It only gets weirder.
    Winner.

You have my full attention.

It only gets weirder.
    It cannot possibly. Fight me!

and The Head came with photos of The Admiral gazing at my MIL, molding the clay...it's bizarre, funny and creepy at the same time. The sculpture itself is now sitting on a tree stump in our garden, my wife thought it was too creepy to have in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    It cannot possibly. Fight me!
    There's a whole lot more to this, though no way I'm fighting unless I find out you're way smaller and weaker than I am...the head was molded in the days when Carl Sagan and Allen Hynek were stopping by the MIL's home in Cadiz all the time...

Opening the box had a definite Corleone feel to it, that surprising moment when you flip the heavy wooden lid and there's a head looking at you.