Page 2037 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 103715371937198720272035203620372038203920472087213725373037 ... LastLast
Results 40,721 to 40,740 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Sounds like a good problem!
    A very good problem, and a signature move for my father-in-law: Do something extremely nice for someone, but do it in such a way that nobody knows about it until long after it happens. He was a handyman for the local pool in his spare time for many, many years, and folks would mention something odd was broken and make it clear that they'd given up on it ever being fixed, and he would design something to solve the problem (he's an engineer by trade) and install it in the off hours on a random weeknight without saying a word. The person who complained would often find out days or even weeks later, and would have to seek him out just to thank him. Good guy, he just doesn't want you to know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    A very good problem, and a signature move for my father-in-law: Do something extremely nice for someone, but do it in such a way that nobody knows about it until long after it happens. He was a handyman for the local pool in his spare time for many, many years, and folks would mention something odd was broken and make it clear that they'd given up on it ever being fixed, and he would design something to solve the problem (he's an engineer by trade) and install it in the off hours on a random weeknight without saying a word. The person who complained would often find out days or even weeks later, and would have to seek him out just to thank him. Good guy, he just doesn't want you to know it.
    Sounds like a wonderful dude!

Sounds like a wonderful dude!
    Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Concur.
    Hey buddy, turkey chili in the bunda house tonight if you're interested.

Hey buddy, turkey chili in the bunda house tonight if you're interested.
    I like turkey chili. It isn't regular chili but it is good. Plus you seem like you have game in the kitchen.

^ provocation cleverly deterred

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    On Friday our son graduated from VaTech. A great day and accomplishment for a fine young man.

Yesterday, I shaved my beard(!), clambered into my uniform for the first time in 10+ years, and commissioned him a 2ndLt in the USMC. The uniform was a "dad prank" - as only my bride knew of my intention. The rest of the family was totally unprepared - and the prankster in me was appropriately rewarded.

My sincere worries that I'd be making his day about me proved unfounded. And our family has photos that could never have been achieved in any other way.

..headed out for a 50 minute jog and to see if the Virginia sunshine can dry my wet cheeks.
    Congratulations to all!

I like turkey chili. It isn't regular chili but it is good. Plus you seem like you have game in the kitchen.
    Wait, what?!?! After post upon post lambasting turkey, building your anti-turkey position and rallying similarly minded to your cause, all of a sudden you’re all “welp, I kinda like turkey chili.”

Shenanigans I say!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    On Friday our son graduated from VaTech. A great day and accomplishment for a fine young man. Yesterday, I shaved my beard(!), clambered into my uniform for the first time in 10+ years, and commissioned him a 2ndLt in the USMC. The uniform was a "dad prank" - as only my bride knew of my intention. The rest of the family was totally unprepared - and the prankster in me was appropriately rewarded. My sincere worries that I'd be making his day about me proved unfounded. And our family has photos that could never have been achieved in any other way...headed out for a 50 minute jog and to see if the Virginia sunshine can dry my wet cheeks.

What a wonderful story. Well done and congratulations to all. Very cool.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Wait, what?!?! After post upon post lambasting turkey, building your anti-turkey position and rallying similarly minded to your cause, all of a sudden you’re all “welp, I kinda like turkey chili.”

Shenanigans I say!
    It's pretty good. I don't make it, but I have had it and it is good.

Nothing in this world annoys me like an inefficient process based on the fact that it has always been done this way.

SNL was good this week. Been some quality sketches last couple episodes.

Nothing in this world annoys me like an inefficient process based on the fact that it has always been done this way.
    Manufacturing has gone through multiple wave of efficiency efforts to combat exactly this.

SNL was good this week. Been some quality sketches last couple episodes.
    Who can stay up that late? (Hint: not me. Well, if I have to but it better be a good reason.)

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Who can stay up that late? (Hint: not me. Well, if I have to but it better be a good reason.)
    We watch it Sunday evening on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Manufacturing has gone through multiple wave of efficiency efforts to combat exactly this.

I'm a process person, so watching an inefficient process is horrible for me. Plus medicine is plagued by "the way we've always done it" bug and I rail against that.

I finally remembered to put my rain gauge out. It collected just over 2.5 inches between 8:45 and 12:45 this morning. It has been raining hard off and on all day. I think it might be overflowing when I get home tonight (early tomorrow morning?).

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I finally remembered to put my rain gauge out. It collected just over 2.5 inches between 8:45 and 12:45 this morning. It has been raining hard off and on all day. I think it might be overflowing when I get home tonight (early tomorrow morning?).
    It's been flooding in parts of Kansas, hasn't it?

It's been flooding in parts of Kansas, hasn't it?
    I believe so. Pretty sure Indian Creek is going out of its banks tonight - that is the local creek. It was really high mid day when I crossed over it. It appeared to have gone over on the golf course. It is supposed to rain off and on all week, I believe.

https://twitter.com/JeffPennerKSHB/s...ghout-the-area

A little further east from where I crossed it. This area has always had flooding. They finally tore down the strip mall that was flooded several time in just a few years. They had to do high water rescues there - even going through the roof one time.