Page 1985 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 98514851885193519751983198419851986198719952035208524852985 ... LastLast
Results 39,681 to 39,700 of 67238
    we used to enjoy chasing the Dilloes around a friend's Lake Okeechobee fishing camp until we became conversant with their ties to leprosy/Hansen's disease..

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we used to enjoy chasing the Dilloes around a friend's Lake Okeechobee fishing camp until we became conversant with their ties to leprosy/Hansen's disease..
    Armadillos means “little armored ones” in Spanish, which is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Armadillos means “little armored ones” in Spanish, which is fun.
    as a history major, I know all about the Spanish Armadillo, and Sir Frank Drake really boxed their ears.*

*genuine aside: just read the new book on Frank...the Spanish were the pre-eminent world power, the Armada sent 130 ships to whomp the outmanned Brits, only 65 ships returned, Frank didn't lose a single ship. The word "rout" is insufficient to describe what happened (the weather was helpful, too...the perils of a road game).

Dawson’s Creek filmed at Duke while I was there and I did see Katie Holmes on campus a few times. She did not accept my invitation to share a queso at armadillo grille.
    The movie The Program filmed some scenes on campus my senior year. They were on Clocktower quad as I was headed to class one morning. I stopped to watch as Halle Berry was working. After a minute or so, I noticed David Justice was standing next to me. I didn't offer to share my bagel.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The movie The Program filmed some scenes on campus my senior year. They were on Clocktower quad as I was headed to class one morning. I stopped to watch as Halle Berry was working. After a minute or so, I noticed David Justice was standing next to me. I didn't offer to share my bagel.
    At least it wasn’t the roided up football player that painted his face like a skeleton. That guy was creepy.

Halle Berry is worth stopping to watch for sure!

The Katie Holmes sighting might be my best Hollywood star.

Was on a plane with Shaq once and met a lot of DC and business famous people.

Anyone recall the website for the bridge near East Campus where the trucks get stuck?

Anyone recall the website for the bridge near East Campus where the trucks get stuck?
    "The Canopener Bridge"

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Um. How has that signage not been fixed and made 10x larger?!?!

Um. How has that signage not been fixed and made 10x larger?!?!
    I mean, the middle school teacher in me would say that it doesn't matter how big you make it; people will continue to get themselves into FTFD-type situations.

Every time you try to idiot-proof something, they make a better idiot!

-jk

I mean, the middle school teacher in me would say that it doesn't matter how big you make it; people will continue to get themselves into FTFD-type situations.
    I hear you but this one has a dedicated camera fir it so it must be happening enough that it’s unusual.

Aunt bragging time - this is the vaccination program in Minnesota Niece Elizabeth has been working on: https://kstp.com/news/walz-visits-mo...field/6088553/

They are using transit buses to take the vaccine to people instead of having people come to the vaccine.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Aunt bragging time - this is the vaccination program in Minnesota Niece Elizabeth has been working on: https://kstp.com/news/walz-visits-mo...field/6088553/

They are using transit buses to take the vaccine to people instead of having people come to the vaccine.
    Does she get to drive the bus? I think that would be fun for a day or two.

Does she get to drive the bus? I think that would be fun for a day or two.
    No bus driving, to my knowledge. She has been on the organizing end of the program but does go out with the bus. She likes seeing the positive impact it is making on the communities.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    It has its own website http://11foot8.com/

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    And wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfol...treet_Overpass

as the page mentions (and I think we got into this on another thread) the bridge was raised a few years ago...it's still not idiot proof, nor is it up to general standards, but it's not the trap it once was.

We have a similar idiot trap up here called the Smugglers Notch Road. At its narrowest point, only one car can navigate its tightest turn, and therefore the state has put up lots of big electric signs warning tractor trailers that they can't get thru, they'll be fined copiously if they try, and yet every year quite of few trucks manage to get big-time wedged, the kind of wedging which requires hours to untangle and very large tow trucks. The popularity of Google Map type navigation has exacerbated this problem...if the program says Go, people go...(like the nice Connecticut folks who followed navigation instructions down a ramp and into Lake Champlain several years ago). https://www.wfsb.com/news/ct-residen...20this%20month.

p.s. I believe the cops tried the app in question, and indeed it also led them to the Coast Guard ramp into the lake, but they were savvy enough to stop.

I went to the on-campus sneak preview. We were among the few that saw the uncut version, before they edited out the scene where Craig Sheffer was lying in the middle of the road. And some less than intelligent person copied him and was run over.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I went to the on-campus sneak preview. We were among the few that saw the uncut version, before they edited out the scene where Craig Sheffer was lying in the middle of the road. And some less than intelligent person copied him and was run over.

I haven't seen the whole movie, just bits and pieces here and there. And I definitely didn't see that part. But I do recall it being mentioned in comparison to something with trains. I want to say Trainspotting but this was before then, between '89 and '93.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 04-28-2021 at 05:29 PM.