Page 1885 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 88513851785183518751883188418851886188718951935198523852885 ... LastLast
Results 37,681 to 37,700 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I mean, it ain't that big a city. So yes.
    We lived in that area for a year after moving back from out West. Weird theme. Burke Street Pizza was good though. Nice Y, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Geography fight!
    No fight. Northwest North Carolina is something that people here call it but I'm fairly certain it is not considered a geographical region by any entity. I suppose we get to feel about it as we would like, but it is rather loosely defined.

We lived in that area for a year after moving back from out West. Weird theme. Burke Street Pizza was good though. Nice Y, too.
    https://www.wfdd.org/story/carolina-...obin-hood-road

This is a fun little article about this. There was a 10-year stretch where Burke Street Pizza was a top five restaurant in this city. We were late to the foodie Revolution but we are getting it right now. Tons of delicious restaurants here. Thank God.

No fight. Northwest North Carolina is something that people here call it but I'm fairly certain it is not considered a geographical region by any entity. I suppose we get to feel about it as we would like, but it is rather loosely defined.
    Sort of like Motley Crue declaring themselves the world's greatest rock band pre-concert.

https://www.wfdd.org/story/carolina-curious-searching-robin-hood-road

This is a fun little article about this. There was a 10-year stretch where Burke Street Pizza was a top five restaurant in this city. We were late to the foodie Revolution but we are getting it right now. Tons of delicious restaurants here. Thank God.
    I’m team artsy fartsy fancy pants.

Fight me.

Cool article about this north central oddity. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston-Salem_Journal

https://ymcanwnc.org/

This is how it is defined here. The Winston-Salem Journal puts out it's prep all star report in sports and the team is called the all-northwest team. Everyone here defines this area as Northwest North Carolina. I also included the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina as a reference to the counties involved. Surry County does not have a YMCA for some reason but it would be included in this geographic region. Mountain devil would agree with this as differentiated from Western North Carolina where he lives.
    *This post indeed carries MTNDEV Seal of Approval*

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    *This post indeed carries MTNDEV Seal of Approval*
    And I'm fairly certain that we are supposed to feel that our respective mountain areas (northern Appalachians for me and southern for you) are the REAL mountains and that the other group is a lesser cousin.

I’m team artsy fartsy fancy pants.

Fight me.
    Meaning you like fancy restaurants? You would not enjoy the hole in the wall place I will be eating crawdads in Lafayette, LA this week then. I am insanely excited about it. But it has dirt floors.

Meaning you like fancy restaurants? You would not enjoy the hole in the wall place I will be eating crawdads in Lafayette, LA this week then. I am insanely excited about it. But it has dirt floors.
    Just with respect to the W/S Robin Hood neighborhood origin story. It's one of the 4 theories advanced.

In most other aspects of life, I am not team fancy pants. I do like meals from some fancy restaurants but the pomp and circumstance and formality make me uncomfortable when I audibly fart.

Wife and I watched Bombshell (late to game) last night. Kate McKinnon's character, though fictional, cracked me up in her first few scenes. Reminded me on my brief time interning on Capitol Hill. As I shared in the POTUS thread, I accidentally interned for a politician on the absolute opposite end of the political spectrum than me and my intern days felt like I was in constant threat of being "found out" and flayed accordingly. McKinnon plays a secret HRC-supporting lesbian who is also an O'Reilly producer, for reference.

I was even more surprised to discover there were more like me. More than a few folks on Capitol Hill who didn't just disagree with their politicians at the margins but found some of their policies wholesale abhorrent. A very specific support group needed for those folks though I guess it's not much different than working for a company that's done bad things and goes to the mattresses fighting the lawsuits and PR.

Windy, very very windy.

Wife and I watched Bombshell (late to game) last night. Kate McKinnon's character, though fictional, cracked me up in her first few scenes. Reminded me on my brief time interning on Capitol Hill. As I shared in the POTUS thread, I accidentally interned for a politician on the absolute opposite end of the political spectrum than me and my intern days felt like I was in constant threat of being "found out" and flayed accordingly. McKinnon plays a secret HRC-supporting lesbian who is also an O'Reilly producer, for reference.

I was even more surprised to discover there were more like me. More than a few folks on Capitol Hill who didn't just disagree with their politicians at the margins but found some of their policies wholesale abhorrent. A very specific support group needed for those folks though I guess it's not much different than working for a company that's done bad things and goes to the mattresses fighting the lawsuits and PR.
    The worst thing I have done for my career is become emotionally attached to the device that I educate people about. This is a terrible idea and I wish it weren't so. It's probably good that you could work for someone with an opposing viewpoint. I would be steaming towards retirement right now if I weren't a True Believer in what I'm doing. I have been lucky to I have worked for the only two companies that I feel this way about. But it has inarguably stunted my professional growth.

I don't care for SNL these days, but when Kate McKinnon appears on any screen I start laughing.

And I'm fairly certain that we are supposed to feel that our respective mountain areas (northern Appalachians for me and southern for you) are the REAL mountains and that the other group is a lesser cousin.
    Whoa there... Now we have a disagreement. "Northern Appalachian mountains" is anything north of Virginia, not Wilkesboro.

Whoa there... Now we have a disagreement. "Northern Appalachian mountains" is anything north of Virginia, not Wilkesboro.
    I was trying to draw you out. It worked!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    You mean . . . . Fished in!

I was trying to draw you out. It worked!
    As long as you pronounce it properly. "Appalachian" rhymes with, um... uh... "Tinder Matchin'," not "Rump Shakin'."

As long as you pronounce it properly. "Appalachian" rhymes with, um... uh... "Tinder Matchin'," not "Rump Shakin'."
    Absolutely. And I say this as someone who has dropped the video for "Rump Shaker" on this thread.

Absolutely. And I say this as someone who has dropped the video for "Rump Shaker" on this thread.
    An event of seismic proportions.

Thanks. It took me a really long time to come up with those examples.