Page 1852 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 85213521752180218421850185118521853185418621902195223522852 ... LastLast
Results 37,021 to 37,040 of 67238
    Not to keep dragging this out, but looking back at the relatively minor experiences I have had, my reaction has pretty much been to just laugh at their pathetic existences. The most recent was actually a number of years ago walking back from lunch with a co-worker down Erwin Rd. Some guy just walking past us suddenly made a lunge for me, grabbing towards my chest. I moved quickly so he only got my jacket. If I hadn't been so completely thrown by the whole thing, I'd like to think I would have been picking his testicles out of my clog. But my friend and I just kind of stood there as he walked off, like we couldn't believe what had just happened. This, and a recent discussion with another co-worker about a longtime ago former administrative person in our department that was WELL known among females to be a breast talker. No one ever reported him. We all figured they would just hush it up or we'd be out a job. We now agree we should have said something. This was the same guy who told us we had to take down a Marc Chagall abstract nude print b/c it might offend someone.

Like I said, pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    We all figured they would just hush it up or we'd be out a job.
    Sadly, this is still too often the case. Some organizations handle it better than others but still a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Sadly, this is still too often the case. Some organizations handle it better than others but still a ways to go.
    I work in the same place, different department. Several administrations later. I do feel that if this happened now, it would be handled quickly and correctly.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Heh. I'm two weeks into a new job and trying to figure out how I'm going to handle my next interaction with a guy (not about assault issues) assuming a trend emerges. For context, I manage/lead environmental and social programs, often somewhere between required by law and voluntary, in large global companies. I've found over the years that most folks, even if they personally might not be big fans in their personal life, keep their opinions to themselves and understand the business reason but that there are always a few who can't help but be snide or let their personal opinion be known. As sort of a funny example, I once was in a meeting trying to bring on a rock star as a brand ambassador for $$$ reasons (hi, Ymo) and to position the company's "green" solutions and the senior executive in the room made a comment about climate change being a hoax. (Forehead slap.) Anyway...

I've had something like twenty 30 minute Team intros, 19 of them very normal meet and greets. The 20th, with a level or two up but not a SVP+, just filled his entire intro with snide little remarks. "We're not going to start making decisions based on gender are we...?" "The guys on my team...(puts hands up in a mocking way)...whoa, sorry, guys and girl. Don't want to get in trouble." I asked him if he'd talked to my new manager about the program we're starting and laughed in a pretty mocking way, "No, no I haven't. Sorry, don't want to piss her (my boss) off."

It was an intro meeting and I didn't say anything, though I did engage in a way by discussing business issues that made clear my opinion. Been trying to figure out if I start my third week by commenting to HR or address it directly if it continues to be an issue. Really pissed me off and got me stewing about what the right move is.
    Yowza. OK, so, being female, that kind of stuff doesn't get said to me. I will do my best to imagine myself as a man. If a similar situation arises, I would try something like this, "Why would something you do piss her off?" And then, depending on the answer, "Maybe you should stop doing that at work. It's worth a try."

Not to keep dragging this out, but looking back at the relatively minor experiences I have had, my reaction has pretty much been to just laugh at their pathetic existences. The most recent was actually a number of years ago walking back from lunch with a co-worker down Erwin Rd. Some guy just walking past us suddenly made a lunge for me, grabbing towards my chest. I moved quickly so he only got my jacket. If I hadn't been so completely thrown by the whole thing, I'd like to think I would have been picking his testicles out of my clog. But my friend and I just kind of stood there as he walked off, like we couldn't believe what had just happened. This, and a recent discussion with another co-worker about a longtime ago former administrative person in our department that was WELL known among females to be a breast talker. No one ever reported him. We all figured they would just hush it up or we'd be out a job. We now agree we should have said something. This was the same guy who told us we had to take down a Marc Chagall abstract nude print b/c it might offend someone.

Like I said, pathetic.
    Well, and this is kind of the point, even though workplaces, particularly large and prominent organizations, have improved things, it’s still remarkably prevalent. I’ve been interested to watch the unconscious bias training sweep across the c-suite training regimen.

My quiz bowl team just won the state championship and I feel happy.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yay! I feel happy too! Congratulations!

Congrats to your team!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Spring just sprang and yard work 2021 has commenced, albeit slowly.
    Getting ready to go out and mow again.

I work in the same place, different department. Several administrations later. I do feel that if this happened now, it would be handled quickly and correctly.
    That is good to hear.

Smarty pants.

Congratulations!!!!!!

Congratulations!

You showed them you Iceland picture as inspiration, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Congratulations!

Was thinking the same thing!

Very cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Was thinking the same thing!
    It is my profile pic on Zoom.

Is “Immigrant Song” by Led Zeppelin your walk-up music? Please tell me that it is.

It's my profile pic on Zoom as well.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Getting ready to go out and mow again.
    My first mowage will not be until early May...grass is a massive flattened wad, snow just barely gone. Today's task was Fiskaring the branches off a 70 foot pine lying in the yard.
    Rakage shall follow this week, all WAY ahead of schedule, usually the snow isn't gone until late April...

Eventually we'll get to the mulching which I kind of like (and hate)...spreading six cubic yards takes a while...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is “Immigrant Song” by Led Zeppelin your walk-up music? Please tell me that it is.
    That’s the second place entrant. First is this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YczrUml2-Sk