Page 1830 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 83013301730178018201828182918301831183218401880193023302830 ... LastLast
Results 36,581 to 36,600 of 67648
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'd go with metal if it's standing seam...got mine 21 years ago, it looks like the day they installed it. Marvelous.

I'm not sure of the status of asphalt based shingles these days..they went thru a horrid period a decade or so ago when nearly all the major brands cheapened their recipe due to the price of oil, and it led to astronomical failures...had a friend with alleged 30 year architectural shingles, they failed in five years...this was very common, the manufacturers (sensing bankruptcy) denied almost all claims claiming that installation was wrong, etc, etc...there was a local handyman savant who had a column in our local rag, he wrote about this for years, it really was a mess...SO, you might want to make sure that whatever shingle you might choose is actually holding up well...

If you go with metal, do be advised that your roof dynamics will change, especially if you have snow...I am available for free consultations!
    Interesting that you say this...we live on an old dairy farm and there is a large dairy barn (big roof area) across the street from our house. About 10 years ago, the roof on the barn needed replacing and we hired a local roofing company to do the job. We looked at some options (metal, asphalt, etc) and decided to go with 30-year, asphalt, patterned shingles ("Harvard slate", I believe, was the pattern choice and, no, "Duke slate" was not offered by the shingle company). But now, after only about 10 years, I notice that on certain sections of the roof, the shingles have already begun to disintegrate and will need to be replaced soon (or maybe the entire roof). Of course, I think the company that installed the roof is no longer in business, so no chance of collecting on any sort of warranty and it was an expensive job at the time, partly because there were already two layers of shingles on most of the barn roof and the local building code does not allow more than 2 layers of shingles on a roof, so the existing shingles had to be pulled off and then a new sub-surface layer of plywood had to be installed. Ugh.

Yea, roofing work is a tough, tough job. I do NOT envy anyone who does that for a living.

^ After the roofing woes that led me to put on a metal roof 20+ years ago, I find myself checking out roofs somewhat compulsively...what's interesting is driving thru towns here, looking at very old buildings, be they barns, old stores, and invariably the roof of choice many decades ago was definitely metal. This makes sense...shingles are somewhat illogical, if you live where there's snow, because if you get ice dams (another whole topic there) water seeps up under the shingles, and you have a problem...

https://www.roofsettlement.com/

The above is a link to a settlement on GAF shingles, also found references to defective CertainTeed shingles...it was a pervasive problem that cost a lot of homeowners a lot of money...

Lunch at 10:30 AM feels early.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    You changed your clock in the wrong direction. It's 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Throw an egg on it.

Weird starting a new job remotely. Feels like I need to be visible and making a good impression...while I’m wearing sweatpants in my basement.

The biggest challenge is work dynamics and relationship building. Just in and out on the Teams. Interesting.

What's anyone's go to Chinese dish? Not like fine dining, but to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The spiciest thing on the menu, add spice.
    Usually ends up being General Tso's, Hunan, Szechuan, or similar; occasionally they have a dish called "Dragon Chicken" or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The spiciest thing on the menu, add spice.
    Usually ends up being General Tso's, Hunan, Szechuan, or similar; occasionally they have a dish called "Dragon Chicken" or some such.
    I second wilson.

Although there are times where I need noodles. Lo Mein, in particular.

Moo shu pork or Mongolian beef. Sometimes Kung Pao shrimp.

Seafood foo yung. Yup, even if it's that fake-crab pollock stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Don't ever take up smoking.
    Smoking aint' cheap.

I love me some spicy eggplant. Szechaun. We have a local place with an "authentic" menu. It rocks.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Throw an egg on it.
    That makes it brunch!

Kung Pao chicken.

But I'll choose a Thai place over a Chinese place almost every time. At a Thai place, my go to is a chicken yellow curry.

My go to Indian dish (not that anybody asked, but hey, that's what the LTE is for, answering questions nobody asked) is lamb curry.

I like curry.

But I'll choose a Thai place over a Chinese place almost every time. At a Thai place, my go to is a chicken yellow curry.
    I was thinking the same thing re: choosing Thai over Chinese.

I've recently fallen in love with Kee Mao. My wife and I get it at a little hole-in-the-wall place in Raleigh when we go visit friends.

My go to Indian dish (not that anybody asked, but hey, that's what the LTE is for, answering questions nobody asked) is lamb curry.

I like curry.
    I prefer Indian food, although Winston-Salem has an unbelievable Chinese place named Hakka Chow. In Florida and tonight is a late night sushi night.

I like curry.
    I loooooove good Indian food. A billion years ago, there was a great Indian Buffet in South Asheville called Mother India. We would sack out of afternoon classes and go for a late lunch knowing we would never be able to stay awake during p.m. classes after eating that much food.

Okay, I guess it was closer to 25-30 years ago.

That makes it brunch!
    And brunch is good anytime.