Page 180 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 801301701781791801811821902302806801180 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 67384
    It starts in about 12 hours. My record is less than impressive. We have a timed game and I tend to get reckless near the end of the evening. Without having any alcohol...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It starts in about 12 hours. My record is less than impressive. We have a timed game and I tend to get reckless near the end of the evening. Without having any alcohol...
    Some excuse Oh well, so much for the 24 hour record!

Good luck w/the game.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Y'all probably don't know this, but the screenplay to St. Elmo's Fire was written by a Duke grad. Sorry, but it's true. And Andrew McCarthy's character was based on the original 'Monday, Monday' column writer for The Chronicle.

Smile Say it isn't so, BD

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Y'all probably don't know this, but the screenplay to St. Elmo's Fire was written by a Duke grad. Sorry, but it's true. And Andrew McCarthy's character was based on the original 'Monday, Monday' column writer for The Chronicle.
    Oy.

Oy.

And next you'll probably tell us that The Breakfast Club was based on the high school life of some Duke grad author.

Just to clarify, the original 'Monday, Monday' guy and the screenwriter were not the same person, but they knew each other at Duke. The original 'Monday, Monday' guy was always the best IMHO. (And Bill Werber served the beer.) I met him once, but alas, his name escapes me.

Yeah, it's supposed to be Georgetown in the movie although the college scenes were filmed at Univ. of Maryland but the college in the orginal script is Duke. The Chronicle had a few articles about it at the time IIRC. That's where I got the info, I think.

So on top of the automotive issues that have consumed much of the last week, my computer crashed last night and I lost everything...as in, I don't even have MS Word on my machine right now. Sweet (breen et al, I know you're itching to pull the trigger right now, but please no Mac vs. PC comments right now...I will travel through the internets and punch you in the junk).
    Oh, and then I wake up this morning only to be greeted with a tornado warning.
    I'm now terrified to speak to my girlfriend for fear that she'll dump me or take Walter anywhere for fear that he'll die.

Don't you mean the interwebs?

Feelin' for ya, Wilson. Maybe you should check your horoscope.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    So on top of the automotive issues that have consumed much of the last week, my computer crashed last night and I lost everything...as in, I don't even have MS Word on my machine right now. Sweet (breen et al, I know you're itching to pull the trigger right now, but please no Mac vs. PC comments right now...I will travel through the internets and punch you in the junk).
    This is not the time to punk out about OS choices. This is the time to ask what you are using for a backup solution.

Oh, and then I wake up this morning only to be greeted with a tornado warning.
    I'm now terrified to speak to my girlfriend for fear that she'll dump me or take Walter anywhere for fear that he'll die.
    That sucks wilson, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'll be sending you vibes. May I suggest that you get a Ma... ssage.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    May I suggest that you get a Ma... ssage.
    Well played, dear sir.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    This is not the time to punk out about OS choices. This is the time to ask what you are using for a backup solution.
    My file backup was, generally speaking, good. Almost all of my academic files are saved in multiple places. I'll probably end up losing a few book reviews, etc., but none of the major stuff is gone. Likewise, the only project I have in progress right now is on another machine. It's actually not terribly catastrophic, just a major pain. Better now than in the middle of a semester, certainly.
    The biggest bummer about the situation is losing all of my music. I suppose I'll be looking into one of those programs that lets you load music in reverse from an iPod onto your computer.
    Any suggestions?

My file backup was, generally speaking, good. Almost all of my academic files are saved in multiple places. I'll probably end up losing a few book reviews, etc., but none of the major stuff is gone. Likewise, the only project I have in progress right now is on another machine. It's actually not terribly catastrophic, just a major pain. Better now than in the middle of a semester, certainly.
    The biggest bummer about the situation is losing all of my music. I suppose I'll be looking into one of those programs that lets you load music in reverse from an iPod onto your computer.
    Any suggestions?
    Hmm, sorry, can't help you. I don't have any experience with those.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    What's the diagnosis on the crash? Is the hard drive physically toasted?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What's the diagnosis on the crash? Is the hard drive physically toasted?
    Luckily, my hardware doesn't appear to be toasted. I essentially have a computer functioning as if I just took it out of the box. I think there's a good chance that I can recover some stuff, but as I said, the only thing I've really lost that's a big pain is my music, and that's of course non-essential. Mostly just a big headache and yet another kick in the balls on the heels of my recent automotive excitement.
    Anybody wanna get bombed and watch football on the deck with me this Saturday?

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Luckily, my hardware doesn't appear to be toasted. I essentially have a computer functioning as if I just took it out of the box. I think there's a good chance that I can recover some stuff, but as I said, the only thing I've really lost that's a big pain is my music, and that's of course non-essential. Mostly just a big headache and yet another kick in the balls on the heels of my recent automotive excitement.
    Take it to a pro - they might be able to recover most of it, especially if the HD is physically fine. Your campus should have a computer shop that might do it cheap.

Anybody wanna get bombed and watch football on the deck with me this Saturday?
    Well I ain't travelling down there but I'll definitely be bombed as well and with you in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Take it to a pro - they might be able to recover most of it, especially if the HD is physically fine. Your campus should have a computer shop that might do it cheap.
    Yeah, I appreciate the advice. I think Emory IT will actually do it for me for free, so that's good. I'm actually rather proud of myself for backing things up pretty thoroughly (music notwithstanding).

Yeah, I appreciate the advice. I think Emory IT will actually do it for me for free, so that's good. I'm actually rather proud of myself for backing things up pretty thoroughly (music notwithstanding).
    Backing up is good, you should be proud!

Smile

The Emory IT folks are generally good. I really appreciate the one in my former department. The biggest issue now may be getting hold of one at the beginning of the semester. You might have luck and get one later in the week.

Good luck ... wish I were there for the annual first football game of the season at Emory.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I'm posting this from the browser application on my Wii. The app needs some refinement (it's no Apple tv, right breen? ), but it's still pretty cool.

I'm posting this from the browser application on my Wii. The app needs some refinement (it's no Apple tv, right breen? ), but it's still pretty cool.
    Hey, Opera is a fine browser. Never used an Apple TV. It looks nice enough, but I can't justify it.