Page 1736 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 73612361636168617261734173517361737173817461786183622362736 ... LastLast
Results 34,701 to 34,720 of 67756
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I did. But the only reason I clicked on it was because I legit thought it was about something very different and was intrigued. Like, did the poster not know how to publicly display affection or did the poster see a public display of affection that s/he couldn't process? So many possibilities...except the actual one.
    How many pages back did you need to go to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    How many pages back did you need to go to find it?
    It was on the last page surrounded by threads about Heroes and Lost.

Pretty sure I have decided to give up cable news television networks for Lent, absent really huge news events.

Started today, and already feel better.

That, and the getting in shape thing. It helps me add mental health improvement to physical health improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Pretty sure I have decided to give up cable news television networks for Lent, absent really huge news events.

That, and the getting in shape thing. It helps me add mental health improvement to physical health improvement.
    My getting in shape usually really gets started in April every year. Warm enough to bike without hurting my knees. I only watch cable news when there's something really interesting breaking. Otherwise, I tend to read the WaPost (print edition, even!), AP, and BBC, and listen to NPR. And of course the DBR! Best Coronavirus coverage around!

The real reason I get the print edition of the Post is for the comics and crossword. Both are so much better on paper. That I stumble across stories I wouldn't see online is an added bonus.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Twitter, I need to stop using Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The DBR is my only social media!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The DBR is my only social media!

-jk
    And we're all socially awkward.

Hah hah. An updated version of the old paint the eyeballs on the glasses trick!

Jeez, why didn't I think of that.

Jeez, why didn't I think of that.
    Don’t worry, there’s time - we’re stuck with zoom and its brethren for the long haul.

-jk

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Well, I did ban myself for 30 days. So far, so good.

I went through a six year ban, but some investors/traders I follow tweet regularly and this has been a very ripe time for trading.

So the new pattern is 4 hours of power and then x hours of nothing. 15 minutes into another 4 hours.

So the new pattern is 4 hours of power and then x hours of nothing. 15 minutes into another 4 hours.
    I sleep with a fan running so it would wake me up going on and off. Is it waking you up? And I'm old so I can't go back to sleep easily.

Have your rates skyrocketed for available power?

From what I understand, in addition to the various generation sources going down, Texas has a market-based deregulated system. Couple that with it being isolated from the rest of the grids and it’s causing 10,000% hikes in rate prices.

I’m sure an entity will step in to moderate that so people don’t get hammered but from what I was reading, that was the initial power market reaction when this first started.

Stay safe!

Have your rates skyrocketed for available power?

From what I understand, in addition to the various generation sources going down, Texas has a market-based deregulated system. Couple that with it being isolated from the rest of the grids and it’s causing 10,000% hikes in rate prices.

I’m sure an entity will step in to moderate that so people don’t get hammered but from what I was reading, that was the initial power market reaction when this first started.

Stay safe!
    I'm fairly certain those are happening at the utility level and not at the individual rate payer level.* CPS Energy, owned by the city of San Antonio, did mention the need to issue bonds yesterday.

*There is still a public utility commission that oversees rates at the consumer level. In other words, I believe the setup we have is very similar to when Enron was playing its shenanigans on the California market a couple decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I sleep with a fan running so it would wake me up going on and off. Is it waking you up? And I'm old so I can't go back to sleep easily.
    I may be older.

I did wake up around when the power went off but am relying on timers for lights to estimate timings. With no power/internet* it does keep me from perusing my phone or tablet during a late night bout of sleeplessness.

*Internet working just fine, just no wireless router when power is down.

I'm fairly certain those are happening at the utility level and not at the individual rate payer level.* CPS Energy, owned by the city of San Antonio, did mention the need to issue bonds yesterday.

*There is still a public utility commission that oversees rates at the consumer level. In other words, I believe the setup we have is very similar to when Enron was playing its shenanigans on the California market a couple decades ago.
    This somewhat reminds me of the ice storm in the southeast back in 2013 or 14. Brought Atlanta to its knees. I was one of the people that had to abandon my car on the side of the highway and walk home.

The CEO of the company I was working for at the time (F50) slept on the floor of a La Quinta foyer.

I may be older.

I did wake up around when the power went off but am relying on timers for lights to estimate timings. With no power/internet* it does keep me from perusing my phone or tablet during a late night bout of sleeplessness.

*Internet working just fine, just no wireless router when power is down.
    That’s why I have a ups for my router and WiFi equipment. Our elec util was awful for years, and I got tired of getting disconnected.

-jk

I have a battery backup for my desktop, but I’m going to have to take some time to figure out how the router is actually wired. It is I sitting out but has a sheaf of wires that disappear I to the wall.

I have a battery backup for my desktop, but I’m going to have to take some time to figure out how the router is actually wired. It is I sitting out but has a sheaf of wires that disappear I to the wall.
    Just need the power cable!

-jk