Page 1710 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 71012101610166017001708170917101711171217201760181022102710 ... LastLast
Results 34,181 to 34,200 of 67660
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    "Shakespeare in Love" is actually a backstage comedy pretending to be a love story. All the theater people I know love that movie. And it gets so much right about backstage life. And how inspiration works. It's brilliant.

Every tech week someone will panic, and someone else will say, "All will be well" and then someone cries, "How?" and then pretty much everybody says "It's a mystery!" in unison.
    Assuming we don't all die, next time I'm in Boston I am going to catch one of your Productions.

The only movies you have to talk me into watching are movies with a lot of gory stuff, so, horror movies and war pictures. I've still never watched the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" and I had to fast forward through some of "Hacksaw Ridge". (I will never watch "Saw", don't even ask.) If it's not gory though, I'll watch anything. When a movie is really bad, I start getting all analytical as to why. (It's usually the script. You gotta tell a story. All the bells and whistles can be cool and fun, but watching stuff get blowed up good is not enough to sustain a movie. Tell a story. And if you have to blow stuff up to tell the story, go ahead and work your technical magic, but tell the story!)

I've never watched the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" because my younger brother told me I couldn't handle it. I've never known him to be wrong about what I can handle in movies. "Saving Private Ryan" without the first 15 minutes is a well acted movie with a merely average story to tell. "Shakespeare in Love" is a much better movie and deserved the Oscar. (I think I've voiced that particular opinion before around here.)
    I get what you’re saying here and of course respect your preferences, but “Saving Private Ryan” without the first 15 minutes is like “Titanic” without the shipwreck.
    That opening scene at Normandy is some of the greatest moviemaking of any kind, ever.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I get what you’re saying here and of course respect your preferences, but “Saving Private Ryan” without the first 15 minutes is like “Titanic” without the shipwreck.
    That opening scene at Normandy is some of the greatest moviemaking of any kind, ever.
    Sure, but neither "Saving Private Ryan" nor "Titanic" were the Best Pictures of their respective years even though "Titanic" managed to win.

Sure, but neither "Saving Private Ryan" nor "Titanic" were the Best Pictures of their respective years even though "Titanic" managed to win.
    Dude! Spoilers! I haven't seen Titanic yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    The sequel is better, fwiw.

Again, I respect your opinion, but I was speaking not of overall film quality, but of seminal events in those films without which one can’t in my opinion comprehensively assess them.

Again, I respect your opinion, but I was speaking not of overall film quality, but of seminal events in those films without which one can’t in my opinion comprehensively assess them.
    Respecting someone’s opinion when they disagree with you on a trivial matter is a sign of weakness. Have the last few years taught you nothing?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Respecting someone’s opinion when they disagree with you on a trivial matter is a sign of weakness. Have the last few years taught you nothing?!?!
    Finish him! Er...her!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I also respect your opinion, but I disagree. The Titanic sinking isn't the seminal event in that movie, it's the climax (although not the critical point.) And while D-Day is the seminal event of SPR, the rest of the movie-making is not worthy of that set-up. The story outside of the first 15 minutes of SPR isn't bad, but it's nothing special, full of holes, and overall a very average war movie. Titanic is a below average story with a 22 year-old Leonardo DiCaprio and great special effects. To be fair, Kate and Leo had incredible chemistry, he owes a fair bit of the Leo phenomenon of the late '90s to that chemistry.

And I was speaking about overall film quality in regards to whether or not these movies should have won the Academy Award for Best Picture. Both are movies worth watching for a variety of reasons, neither were the best films of their respective years.

Don't read this post, ClemmonsDevil - it has more details so Spoiler Alert!

And that is why I never saw Titanic. I knew how it ended - ship hits iceberg, ship sinks, people die, some survive.

I have, however, seen The Unsinkable Molly Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Don't read this post, ClemmonsDevil - it has more details so Spoiler Alert!

And that is why I never saw Titanic. I knew how it ended - ship hits iceberg, ship sinks, people die, some survive.

I have, however, seen The Unsinkable Molly Brown.
    This absolutely killed me for some reason! Strong work DinK!

Neither have I and no interest.

Agree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The Unsinkable Molly Brown.
    Nooooooooo!!!!!! Don't tell me she sank?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Nooooooooo!!!!!! Don't tell me she sank?
    No. Molly landed firmly on her feet.

Dinner was an appetizer of crispy pork belly with a main of seared scallops and I ate outside in a t-shirt! I mean, I wore pants too. But short sleeves!

Dinner was an appetizer of crispy pork belly with a main of seared scallops and I ate outside in a t-shirt! I mean, I wore pants too. But short sleeves!
    Our Artic blast starts Wednesday night.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Our Artic blast starts Wednesday night.
    I will be driving back in to North Carolina in time for that. But right now I am walking around Ybor City and smoking a cigar in shorts and a t-shirt.

I will be driving back in to North Carolina in time for that. But right now I am walking around Ybor City and smoking a cigar in shorts and a t-shirt.
    That's close to Cigar City Brewing. I'd go there.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That's close to Cigar City Brewing. I'd go there.
    Been plenty of timea. I love Maduro Brown!