Page 1678 of 2803 FirstFirst ... 67811781578162816681676167716781679168016881728177821782678 ... LastLast
Results 33,541 to 33,560 of 56049
  1. #33541
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    You had to pick a fight didn't you?

    Lol, just trying to manage expectations...it is only the ninth best meat.

  2. #33542
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Lol, just trying to manage expectations...it is only the ninth best meat.
    I have a fantastic thought experiment! So you go to this barbecue restaurant that is literally the greatest barbecue restaurant on the planet. Every meat is the perfect iteration of your conception of the perfect bite of meat. So your choices are brisket, pulled pork, hot guts sausage, barbecued chicken, smoked turkey, ribs. You get to choose three items. I am taking brisket, pulled pork and hot guts. I think it is rational for someone to choose chicken, turkey or ribs as their tertiary meat. I would judge that person for choosing any of those first and I could reasonably see someone choosing one of them as their secondary meat, but I would still judge that person and not necessarily want to be friends with them.

  3. #33543
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Lol, just trying to manage expectations...it is only the ninth best meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have a fantastic thought experiment! So you go to this barbecue restaurant that is literally the greatest barbecue restaurant on the planet. Every meat is the perfect iteration of your conception of the perfect bite of meat. So your choices are brisket, pulled pork, hot guts sausage, barbecued chicken, smoked turkey, ribs. You get to choose three items. I am taking brisket, pulled pork and hot guts. I think it is rational for someone to choose chicken, turkey or ribs as their tertiary meat. I would judge that person for choosing any of those first and I could reasonably see someone choosing one of them as their secondary meat, but I would still judge that person and not necessarily want to be friends with them.
    Pickled snood.


    FWIW, when you google 'pickled snood', this comes up. Best I can tell, it's a managing expectations mask.

    Snood.jpg

  4. #33544
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Pickled snood.


    FWIW, when you google 'pickled snood', this comes up. Best I can tell, it's a managing expectations mask.

    Snood.jpg
    This is the look I see on someone's face when I am giving a lecture where there is a mathematical or anatomical/ physiological argument to be made and the person doesn't agree and then asks for evidence via a randomized controlled trial. Which I have come to think of as the Godwin's Law of Medicine. RCTs are the gold standard of Medicine, but you simply can't study every single thing that is going to happen. So using this particular hand grenade is what you do to end the conversation when you don't want to change your practice even when there are issues.

  5. #33545
    You lost me at hot guts...

  6. #33546
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have a fantastic thought experiment! So you go to this barbecue restaurant that is literally the greatest barbecue restaurant on the planet. Every meat is the perfect iteration of your conception of the perfect bite of meat. So your choices are brisket, pulled pork, hot guts sausage, barbecued chicken, smoked turkey, ribs. You get to choose three items. I am taking brisket, pulled pork and hot guts. I think it is rational for someone to choose chicken, turkey or ribs as their tertiary meat. I would judge that person for choosing any of those first and I could reasonably see someone choosing one of them as their secondary meat, but I would still judge that person and not necessarily want to be friends with them.
    Brisket, pulled pork, sure.

    Sausage over ribs? Not that clear to me because sausage can be so varied.

    I guess in your hypothetical (“Perfect iteration of your concept” I guess so. But in reality with the wide variety of sausage quality and spice, you probably need some sort of, I dunno, randomized controlled trial to determine.

  7. #33547
    It is weird I have no deep thoughts about sports, movies, music or television but would cut someone's throat over meat.

  8. #33548
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have a fantastic thought experiment! So you go to this barbecue restaurant that is literally the greatest barbecue restaurant on the planet. Every meat is the perfect iteration of your conception of the perfect bite of meat. So your choices are brisket, pulled pork, hot guts sausage, barbecued chicken, smoked turkey, ribs. You get to choose three items. I am taking brisket, pulled pork and hot guts. I think it is rational for someone to choose chicken, turkey or ribs as their tertiary meat. I would judge that person for choosing any of those first and I could reasonably see someone choosing one of them as their secondary meat, but I would still judge that person and not necessarily want to be friends with them.
    The greatest barbecue restaurant on the planet is obviously going to specialize in pork...

    -jk

  9. #33549
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The greatest barbecue restaurant on the planet is obviously going to specialize in pork...

    -jk
    I can accept this. Pork is delicious. The brisket/pork ascendancy conundrum is a worthy conversation. This article on Charleston suddenly becoming a Mecca for BBQ lovers (read: everyone) is fantastic.

    https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/22/...south-carolina

  10. #33550
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I can accept this. Pork is delicious. The brisket/pork ascendancy conundrum is a worthy conversation. This article on Charleston suddenly becoming a Mecca for BBQ lovers (read: everyone) is fantastic.

    https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/22/...south-carolina
    What would Charlotte say about pork?

  11. #33551
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What would Charlotte say about pork?
    The person or city?

  12. #33552
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    The person or city?
    The spider.

  13. #33553
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The spider.
    Dang. I missed a callback about my own post.

  14. #33554
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Probably. I just never have any. I don't know how I got to be like this and I recognize that it is strange. I think of sports like I think of music, television shows and movies. They aren't mine. A TV show is made by the director, producers and actors. It is their show and not mine. Where I come into play is the choice of consumption. I get to choose to interact with this show or not and whether or not I like it is irrelevant. Because the show is not mine. So when people complain about the ending of Seinfeld, The Sopranos or Game of Thrones my initial thought is to be surprised. The show exists and your interaction with it is your choice. But you have no ownership. So your thoughts or feelings on it are irrelevant. Sports is that way to me. I choose to follow this program and have no ownership or responsibility here. I have never met anyone else who thinks of it this way. I don't know what makes me so crazy. By writing this down I think I have increased the chances that I will be tagged and studied to find out what is wrong with me.
    When I find myself consistently yelling at characters in a TV show, I stop watching it. For sports, I'm upset when "my" team loses but I know it is harder on them than on me. I may be disappointed for them but not in them.

  15. #33555
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    For securing a spouse? Scheduling an emergency plumber visit? Most fishing trips?

    What are we talkin' here?
    Yes! (that's the simple answer)...why set oneself up for disappointment? I do find that as I age, taking a number of things (not all things) in stride is easier...(not sure about all aspects of aging, though I'm getting pretty good at that, too.)

  16. #33556
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    When I find myself consistently yelling at characters in a TV show, I stop watching it. For sports, I'm upset when "my" team loses but I know it is harder on them than on me. I may be disappointed for them but not in them.
    Hah. What shows have met that criteria for you? I can think of a few that started great and then they wrote everything interesting out of the character and just focused on really specific character flaws...I mean, traits.

  17. #33557
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Dang. I missed a callback about my own post.
    It’s safe to say that if Charlotte had ever actually tried pork, she would have spun a very different web.

  18. #33558
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    It’s safe to say that if Charlotte had ever actually tried pork, she would have spun a very different web.
    4DqHp (1).jpg

  19. #33559
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah. What shows have met that criteria for you? I can think of a few that started great and then they wrote everything interesting out of the character and just focused on really specific character flaws...I mean, traits.
    Kyra Sedgwick's character in The Closer is the first one that really made me want to hit her. I also stopped watching Law & Order: SVU because of the Benson character.

    Other programs have fallen by the wayside - often due to time. Stopped watching NCIS - LA for about 2 years due to time issues but have started watching it again. Occasionally, I find a missed episode on re-runs to watch.

  20. #33560
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Delicious. Just delicious.

    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Kyra Sedgwick's character in The Closer is the first one that really made me want to hit her. I also stopped watching Law & Order: SVU because of the Benson character.

    Other programs have fallen by the wayside - often due to time. Stopped watching NCIS - LA for about 2 years due to time issues but have started watching it again. Occasionally, I find a missed episode on re-runs to watch.
    I got pretty ticked at McNulty in the final season of The Wire. Andy Bernard's character in The Office went way down the comedic hill the last few seasons. Nancy Botwin in Weeds was somewhat sympathetic and interesting for a few seasons, then they wrote her into self-destructive bad choices oblivion. Ugh, Lost.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •