Page 1640 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 64011401540159016301638163916401641164216501690174021402640 ... LastLast
Results 32,781 to 32,800 of 67416
    I did the the 1,246 mile drive from my old house in Cincinnati, OH to my new one in San Antonio in 20 hours straight. I was going solo with the pets and decided after getting to my half way point 3 hours early to save the hotel cost and just plow on ahead. Boy, oh boy, were the cats pissed off by the time I pulled into the new house.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I did the the 1,246 mile drive from my old house in Cincinnati, OH to my new one in San Antonio in 20 hours straight. I was going solo with the pets and decided after getting to my half way point 3 hours early to save the hotel cost and just plow on ahead. Boy, oh boy, were the cats pissed off by the time I pulled into the new house.
    And was your house pissed in (by the cats) as a result?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    And was your house pissed in (by the cats) as a result?
    I've been fortunate in that aspect, they respect the litter box.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    20 years ago the up and back to Burlington would have been child's play. Now, I run the risk of leg cramps if I don't stop and walk around for a little bit every 2 hours or so. Which means that I will be stopping more than once. I have to pace myself or the drive home will be excruciating. It's the driving that's hard. I can still do 12 hours in the passenger seat easy. (No, T-Bone and Paddies do not drive. T-Bone was all set to get his license last summer before the pandemic hit, fingers crossed that it can happen this summer.)

I've made it from Denver to DC in 3 days but that's not exactly a record. Consistent 12-14 hour days. Done lots of intentionally long drives, including one from DC to Alaska and back over the course of many months...also in wookie house slippers...did it solo, too, with one Han on the wheel most of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    20 years ago the up and back to Burlington would have been child's play. Now, I run the risk of leg cramps if I don't stop and walk around for a little bit every 2 hours or so. Which means that I will be stopping more than once. I have to pace myself or the drive home will be excruciating. It's the driving that's hard. I can still do 12 hours in the passenger seat easy. (No, T-Bone and Paddies do not drive. T-Bone was all set to get his license last summer before the pandemic hit, fingers crossed that it can happen this summer.)

I could swear that my bladder was much more capacious 9 years ago.

I've made it from Denver to DC in 3 days but that's not exactly a record. Consistent 12-14 hour days. Done lots of intentionally long drives, including one from DC to Alaska and back over the course of many months...also in wookie house slippers...did it solo, too, with one Han on the wheel most of the way.
    I still need to get to Alaska.

I still need to get to Alaska.
    If summer ‘21 goes as planned, I’ll be at 49 with only Alaska left by the end of July.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If summer ‘21 goes as planned, I’ll be at 49 with only Alaska left by the end of July.
    Nice!

I've been sitting on North Dakota, Wisconsin and Hawaii for years. I actually have family in Hawaii so not sure what I've been thinking there. WI and ND are going to have to be super on purpose.

Nice!

I've been sitting on North Dakota, Wisconsin and Hawaii for years. I actually have family in Hawaii so not sure what I've been thinking there. WI and ND are going to have to be super on purpose.
    The Dakotas are one of my favorite necks of the woods...criminally underrated, in my opinion. For me, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is the spot in ND.
    We spent a weekend in Wisconsin's north woods a couple of summers ago. I'd like to get to Milwaukee at some point, as I understand it's a pretty fun city.
    And Hawaii is spectacular.

You need a car that fits you better! There’s a reason Ford LTDs were so popular in Florida forever!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You need a car that fits you better! There’s a reason Ford LTDs were so popular in Florida forever!

-jk
    No, that's not it. It's the being in the same position for too long - a sometimes unpleasant side effect of all the running. It's not actually leg cramps, it's a knee thing. I can't sit anywhere for too long. My knees need to be loosened up every 2-3 hours.

Prez thread locked again. I was about to comment that we were dropping right back into the bad habits. Too late. The world is just so crazy, folks can't help themselves, it seems.

Puppetry is in your repertoire?
    Not this time but I did run the puppet team in the past.

The decision for the first mission trip to Shiprock was to drive it in one day - 17 hours or so. I was the only one that didn't want to do it in one day. Mr. H had to meet us at 12:30 to let us inti the building - everyone went to bed but me. Had administrative things to do before I could go to bed about 30 minutes later.

Second trip - I refused to do it in one day. We drove about 4 hours on Fruday night and did the rest the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Dakotas are one of my favorite necks of the woods...criminally underrated, in my opinion. For me, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is the spot in ND.
    We spent a weekend in Wisconsin's north woods a couple of summers ago. I'd like to get to Milwaukee at some point, as I understand it's a pretty fun city.
    And Hawaii is spectacular.
    Thanks for the rec. I’ve really enjoyed South Dakota, particularly the badlands area just never made it North. Next opportunity for me to pick up WI and ND will probably be in a few years when we start doing vacations oriented to our son...we definitely have some summer road trips in mind to see some of the parks.

Hawaii, who knows. I’ve had family reunions there just always missed them!!!

Got the rest of them though.

No, that's not it. It's the being in the same position for too long - a sometimes unpleasant side effect of all the running. It's not actually leg cramps, it's a knee thing. I can't sit anywhere for too long. My knees need to be loosened up every 2-3 hours.
    That I fully understand! I've had cranky knees since my 20s when I gave up running for biking.

I do find our Pilot easier on them than our tiny Acura, though.

-jk

Many years ago when my bladder was young, I drove 850 miles from northern VT to Durham without getting out of the car. Those were the days when people pumped gas for you...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The decision for the first mission trip to Shiprock was to drive it in one day - 17 hours or so. I was the only one that didn't want to do it in one day. Mr. H had to meet us at 12:30 to let us inti the building - everyone went to bed but me. Had administrative things to do before I could go to bed about 30 minutes later.

Second trip - I refused to do it in one day. We drove about 4 hours on Fruday night and did the rest the next day.
    Yes, the decision to drive continuously isn't necessarily driven by comfort and some might say common sense. Frugalness and well other things sometimes rule the day.

Prez thread locked again. I was about to comment that we were dropping right back into the bad habits. Too late. The world is just so crazy, folks can't help themselves, it seems.
    Jason thinks of us as the biker gang at the end of Weird Science.