Page 1637 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 63711371537158716271635163616371638163916471687173721372637 ... LastLast
Results 32,721 to 32,740 of 67238
    True confession: I'm having an increasingly hard time caring a whole lot about Duke basketball. Even before the pandemic, it was steadily bothering me more and more that college athletics seem to be antithetical to core institutional missions, and to me, that contradiction has only been magnified by the Covid absurdities and gymnastics that went into whatever one wants to call this college football season. Add to that the fact that our best players have been, what, like 85% one-and-done for like 7 years now, and it's very hard for me to feel invested in the team year by year. I watched half of the Michigan State game the other night and was resoundingly "meh"ed by the overall quality of play, to say nothing of the [lack of] atmosphere and the general "Who are these guys?" nature of it all. There's no chance I stay up for tonight's 9:30 tip (we all know it'll really just be a few minutes shy of 10pm by the time they end up doing anything), and I'm not regretful or sorry or anything. At this point, I'm unequivocally more interested in the upcoming Hawks season than the just-started Duke season. That's kind of sad in a way, and I'll always feel connected to Duke and root for the program and watch the big games...I'll probably feel more motivated to do so after life gets back to "normal" sometime next year. But it's nowhere near the appointment viewing, put it on my personal schedule thing that it used to be for me.
    It's kind of ironic that Duke Basketball Report is and will remain one of my favorite go-to sites, but by now, that's almost entirely because of the smart, interesting, caring people that the Off-Topic board keeps me connected to.
    I suspect some will see this as outright heresy (and I'm wondering how many times I'll get flamed for admitting this...), but I bet I'm not alone?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    True confession: I'm having an increasingly hard time caring a whole lot about Duke basketball. Even before the pandemic, it was steadily bothering me more and more that college athletics seem to be antithetical to core institutional missions, and to me, that contradiction has only been magnified by the Covid absurdities and gymnastics that went into whatever one wants to call this college football season. Add to that the fact that our best players have been, what, like 85% one-and-done for like 7 years now, and it's very hard for me to feel invested in the team year by year. I watched half of the Michigan State game the other night and was resoundingly "meh"ed by the overall quality of play, to say nothing of the [lack of] atmosphere and the general "Who are these guys?" nature of it all. There's no chance I stay up for tonight's 9:30 tip (we all know it'll really just be a few minutes shy of 10pm by the time they end up doing anything), and I'm not regretful or sorry or anything. At this point, I'm unequivocally more interested in the upcoming Hawks season than the just-started Duke season. That's kind of sad in a way, and I'll always feel connected to Duke and root for the program and watch the big games...I'll probably feel more motivated to do so after life gets back to "normal" sometime next year.
    It's kind of ironic that Duke Basketball Report is and will remain one of my favorite go-to sites, but by now, that's almost entirely because of the smart, interesting, caring people that the Off-Topic board keeps me connected to.
    I suspect some will see this as outright heresy (and I'm wondering how many times I'll get flamed for admitting this...), but I bet I'm not alone?
    Definitely not alone.

True confession: I'm having an increasingly hard time caring a whole lot about Duke basketball. Even before the pandemic, it was steadily bothering me more and more that college athletics seem to be antithetical to core institutional missions, and to me, that contradiction has only been magnified by the Covid absurdities and gymnastics that went into whatever one wants to call this college football season. Add to that the fact that our best players have been, what, like 85% one-and-done for like 7 years now, and it's very hard for me to feel invested in the team year by year. I watched half of the Michigan State game the other night and was resoundingly "meh"ed by the overall quality of play, to say nothing of the [lack of] atmosphere and the general "Who are these guys?" nature of it all. There's no chance I stay up for tonight's 9:30 tip (we all know it'll really just be a few minutes shy of 10pm by the time they end up doing anything), and I'm not regretful or sorry or anything. At this point, I'm unequivocally more interested in the upcoming Hawks season than the just-started Duke season. That's kind of sad in a way, and I'll always feel connected to Duke and root for the program and watch the big games...I'll probably feel more motivated to do so after life gets back to "normal" sometime next year. But it's nowhere near the appointment viewing, put it on my personal schedule thing that it used to be for me.
    And one.

The one and done era has killed basketball for me. And the way the last few minutes drags out interminably for timeouts, foul shots, and stupidly long video replays by the refs absolutely destroys the flow of the game.

My go-to television sport these days is soccer. Game is always within two hours; the replays are short; clock keeps moving with no timeouts; etcetera.

I spend much more time on the OTB here than the front page. That was not true five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ...My go-to television sport these days is soccer. Game is always within two hours; the replays are short; clock keeps moving with no timeouts; etcetera.

I spend much more time on the OTB here than the front page. That was not true five years ago.
    Same here...I enjoy the flow of soccer and have learned a good bit about it in recent years, and like you, the oldhead in me appreciates the sport’s compact timeframe. Also, as I alluded to in my earlier post, I’m more and more of an NBA fan. I still like watching basketball, and I like the way the game has evolved to prioritize spacing, rhythm, and careful roster construction. Plus, those guys are just good. To me, the best college teams in 2020 are nowhere near as good as the best teams of 20 or so years ago, while the NBA has moved in the opposite direction, from a somewhat stagnant, overly physical, isolation-heavy half court game to a really entertaining, free-flowing style (unless James Harden is playing).

And one.

The one and done era has killed basketball for me. And the way the last few minutes drags out interminably for timeouts, foul shots, and stupidly long video replays by the refs absolutely destroys the flow of the game.

My go-to television sport these days is soccer. Game is always within two hours; the replays are short; clock keeps moving with no timeouts; etcetera.

Same for me, though may I heartily suggest DVRing the games, just start watching about 45 minutes after actual tipoff and you can FF thru all the grotesque Joe Namath ads, the timeouts and the replays.
    And if I happen to get tired (e.g. tonight;s 9:30 start) I'll just pick up the action tomorrow morning before I check the scores.*

* I went to bed shortly after halftime of the Miami football game and didn't bother with much of the recording the next day, why bother?

And one.

As long as we're all whining about changes - when did every single drive end with either one played complaining he was fouled or another claiming he never touched the shooter?

Exhausting. Poor sportsmanship.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Definitely not alone.
    And one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Not alone.
    Glad to know, and interested to hear more thoughts. Maybe I'll start a thread...

Glad to know, and interested to hear more thoughts. Maybe I'll start a thread...
    My interest has waned, too. I think there is a combination of reasons but one is definitely the 1-and-done. I just don't feel all that connected to the players and get more enjoyment out of following the Duke players in the NBA who not that long ago were the guys at Duke while I was there.

NOW, there is a big exception to that generalization and that exception was last year's team with Zion (and the others). But Zion was such a singular joy to watch that the season was the most fun I've had with Duke basketball in many, many seasons. That's not a surprise but just reinforces the need for charisma and connection and obviously Zion had/has that in spades.

I love Jay Bilas. Just as engaged with Duke teams. I recognize I am the weirdo.

I also am less connected to this years team. It usually takes a few games for me to be able to identify the new players by watching tv. By this time in normal years, I’ve been to Cameron several times and am more familiar with the team. TV coverage of games in empty Cameron just isn’t right. COVID makes me dubious that games should even be played. Throw in my battle with Prostate Cancer and back surgery in 2020, the declining health of my big brother in NC and also my best friend in Georgia. Kinda dampens the importance I place on sports.

Weezie must have finished off clearing the extraneous stuff from the household.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I also am less connected to this years team. It usually takes a few games for me to be able to identify the new players by watching tv. By this time in normal years, I’ve been to Cameron several times and am more familiar with the team. TV coverage of games in empty Cameron just isn’t right. COVID makes me dubious that games should even be played. Throw in my battle with Prostate Cancer and back surgery in 2020, the declining health of my big brother in NC and also my best friend in Georgia. Kinda dampens the importance I place on sports.
    Prayers for good health and good times for you and your family in 2021!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Weezie must have finished off clearing the extraneous stuff from the household.
    I hope that didn’t include Husband of weezie!

Sorry to hear of you and your family's struggles this year. I too hope 2021 brings brighter days for you.

I hope that didn’t include Husband of weezie!
    Lol never! I always make sure he hasn't tried to escape in a rolled up rug headed to the dump.
    I just hope brev can come up with a few laughs at halftime. I'm not exactly feeling the optimism for this game.

Yes, you have much more important issues on your mind. Vibes to you, your family, and friend that 2021 brings some respite from health issues.

At this point, I'm more connected to the football team than I am the basketball team.

Prayers that 2021 brings health and strength to all.