Page 1636 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 63611361536158616261634163516361637163816461686173621362636 ... LastLast
Results 32,701 to 32,720 of 67658
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Bit of a sad day in our home, but Violet is excited that she's been promoted to my avatar.
    Awwww...she's cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I managed to never get a Prez Thread related infraction this time around. I got one in 2016, minor, and I didn't lose posting privileges, but still. It's probably for the best that the thread got shut down.
    I really thought that thread might catch up with this thread if it was left open Inauguration Day.

What a relief. What a blessed, peaceful relief.

I managed to never get a Prez Thread related infraction this time around. I got one in 2016, minor, and I didn't lose posting privileges, but still. It's probably for the best that the thread got shut down.
    I have been busy lecturing all day and they had ONE JOB. ONE. And no infractions for me either.

I got dinged in 16 and this year. Both for jokes I felt were plainly ridiculous and non-partisan.

I don't envy the moderation of that thread, but it does feel like infractions are handed out without consistency. Much worse that what I posted has been allowed in the last few weeks.

I guess we will be starting the next one soon. Bleagh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I got dinged in 16 and this year. Both for jokes I felt were plainly ridiculous and non-partisan.

I don't envy the moderation of that thread, but it does feel like infractions are handed out without consistency. Much worse that what I posted has been allowed in the last few weeks.

Bostondevil is the decider in chief for 2024. I suggest November 2nd 2024. Her call though.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

My minor infraction was also for a joke (made in this thread actually, but referencing something said in the Prez Thread.)

As to your second point - not if they let me make good on my promise of being the person to start the 2024 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Bostondevil is the decider in chief for 2024. I suggest November 2nd 2024. Her call though.
    Amen to that.

I won't wait quite that long.

Serenity now...

My minor infraction was also for a joke (made in this thread actually, but referencing something said in the Prez Thread.)

As to your second point - not if they let me make good on my promise of being the person to start the 2024 thread.

Infractions can escalate quickly. I'd like to see some sort of bartering system in place such that:

1. You can buy yourself out of infraction jail (or banning) by trading in sporks, or
    2. Other posters can bail you out by offering their sporks in the event the transgressor is all out o' sporks (we'll call this the 'taking one for the team' rule)

I've been reading DBR for 20 years now but only actively posting for a few. The owners/moderators have worked hard to cultivate a pretty darn fun, lively community filled with interesting posters since the beginning. That takes a lot of work considering the state of most internet forums. They'll never call every ball and strike perfectly but they've done more than enough to cultivate posters' goodwill and we should all know they're operating in good faith even when they're uneven.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 12-07-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Infractions can escalate quickly. I'd like to see some sort of bartering system in place such that:

1. You can buy yourself out of infraction jail (or banning) by trading in sporks, or
    2. Other posters can bail you out by offering their sporks in the event the transgressor is all out o' sporks (we'll call this the 'taking one for the team' rule)

I've been reading DBR for 20 years now but only actively posting for a few. The owners/moderators have worked hard to cultivate a pretty darn fun, lively community filled with interesting posters since the beginning. That takes a lot of work considering the state of most internet forums. They'll never call every ball and strike perfectly but they've done more than enough to cultivate posters' goodwill and we should all know they're operating in good faith even when they're uneven.
    I wasn't complaining! Like I said, I got a minor infraction, so, no big deal. It resulted in me not making that kind of joke anymore, well, not a joke about the public figure who I realized was off limits. Roy Williams? You can still make disparaging jokes about him. At least I think you can.

Roy Williams? You can still make disparaging jokes about him. At least I think you can.
    I did exactly that earlier today.

I've been reading DBR for 20 years now but only actively posting for a few. The owners/moderators have worked hard to cultivate a pretty darn fun, lively community filled with interesting posters since the beginning.
    I have been reading here since 2001 and have only posted in the last year. It started with an exceedingly unpopular defense of Jay Bilas. After that I made the conscious decision to avoid the sports stuff because that stuff is just too personal and emotional to most people. And then I found the presidential thread which I found to be even handed with occasional lapses into emotion. I would say on the whole we are better at dealing with non-sports issues than sports. I did try to post in a post-game thread last week and I will never do that again. I just think we know more about non-basketball related information than we know about basketball. I basically feel about the basketball threads the way I feel about the plague and UFO threads. I would rather have Jim Sumner say things and none of us respond at all like I want RSV and T Byers in the pandemic thread and Devilhorse in the UFOs thread. The rest of us are just there to ask questions. The sports stuff feels like it should just all be lumped into a thread called Dunning Kruger. I won't be going back there again. There are some folks there whose stuff I like to read (shout out Weezie who is my favorite person in the world even though I have children and she has no idea who I am). I will stick to the non-sports stuff.

I have been reading here since 2001 and have only posted in the last year. It started with an exceedingly unpopular defense of Jay Bilas. After that I made the conscious decision to avoid the sports stuff because that stuff is just too personal and emotional to most people. And then I found the presidential thread which I found to be even handed with occasional lapses into emotion. I would say on the whole we are better at dealing with non-sports issues than sports. I did try to post in a post-game thread last week and I will never do that again. I just think we know more about non-basketball related information than we know about basketball. I basically feel about the basketball threads the way I feel about the plague and UFO threads. I would rather have Jim Sumner say things and none of us respond at all like I want RSV and T Byers in the pandemic thread and Devilhorse in the UFOs thread. The rest of us are just there to ask questions. The sports stuff feels like it should just all be lumped into a thread called Dunning Kruger. I won't be going back there again. There are some folks there whose stuff I like to read (shout out Weezie who is my favorite person in the world even though I have children and she has no idea who I am). I will stick to the non-sports stuff.
    There are threads about sports stuff?

All I can say about that is don't ever bring up athletes who have raped or murdered when folks are going on about Tom Brady being the most egregious sinner ever in the history of professional sports.

Waking up with a sore throat these days makes one nervous.

All I can say about that is don't ever bring up athletes who have raped or murdered when folks are going on about Tom Brady being the most egregious sinner ever in the history of professional sports.
    We are emotional creatures. I'm not. But we are.

Waking up with a sore throat these days makes one nervous.
    Ugggh. I know. Hope you feel better!

Me too, harmless joke got me dinged (Susan Collins related).
    So I'm sending a check today to Bostondevil to ensure fair and impartial treatment next time around.

I wasn't complaining! Like I said, I got a minor infraction, so, no big deal. It resulted in me not making that kind of joke anymore, well, not a joke about the public figure who I realized was off limits. Roy Williams? You can still make disparaging jokes about him. At least I think you can.
    Sorry! I was making a general comment, not pointing any fingers!

I have been reading here since 2001 and have only posted in the last year.[B] It started with an exceedingly unpopular defense of Jay Bilas.[/B] After that I made the conscious decision to avoid the sports stuff because that stuff is just too personal and emotional to most people. And then I found the presidential thread which I found to be even handed with occasional lapses into emotion. I would say on the whole we are better at dealing with non-sports issues than sports. I did try to post in a post-game thread last week and I will never do that again. I just think we know more about non-basketball related information than we know about basketball. I basically feel about the basketball threads the way I feel about the plague and UFO threads. I would rather have Jim Sumner say things and none of us respond at all like I want RSV and T Byers in the pandemic thread and Devilhorse in the UFOs thread. The rest of us are just there to ask questions. The sports stuff feels like it should just all be lumped into a thread called Dunning Kruger. I won't be going back there again. There are some folks there whose stuff I like to read (shout out Weezie who is my favorite person in the world even though I have children and she has no idea who I am). I will stick to the non-sports stuff.
    Jay Bilas is a pretty funny call to arms. Like Jon Snow charging Ramsey's army solo in Battle of the B*stards. Have you ever clicked the DBR Resources drop down and selected 'Jay Bilas'? You won't be disappointed.

Edit: The link has changed, it used to be to a photo of Jay Bilas in Dark Angel.

Yeah. One might extend that observation to anyone in a position of prominence but, yeah, I have strong opinions there, too. Starts early, too, with parents and communities and HS sports stars. One of the most interesting things about becoming an adult is watching the kids you grew up with grow up and hold some views you find personally anathema and a wonder how the heck they got there.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Me too, harmless joke got me dinged (Susan Collins related).
    So I'm sending a check today to Bostondevil to ensure fair and impartial treatment next time around.
    I've successfully lobbied for a few infraction recensions when I thought my intent was misinterpreted but I've been appropriately clobbered a few times for, uh, not harmless jokes when my snark got the better of me.

Jay Bilas is a pretty funny call to arms. Like Jon Snow charging Ramsey's army solo in Battle of the B*stards. Have you ever clicked the DBR Resources drop down and selected 'Jay Bilas'? You won't be disappointed.

Edit: The link has changed, it used to be to a photo of Jay Bilas in Dark Angel.

I've successfully lobbied for a few infraction recensions when I thought my intent was misinterpreted but I've been appropriately clobbered a few times for, uh, not harmless jokes when my snark got the better of me.
    Yeah. Probably not the best introduction to a wider audience to both take up for an unpopular figure and also tell everyone else they are wrong. That thread got shut down because people didn't really react all that well to me being an accusatory moron. Strange. As I recall, it was basically just me and one other person (probably Jay) who were Pro Jay. I waited months after that initial foray to post in the presidential thread. Basically hoping my stupidity had been forgotten.

Obviously if it was overturned I didn't complain hard enough about you.