Page 1631 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 63111311531158116211629163016311632163316411681173121312631 ... LastLast
Results 32,601 to 32,620 of 67404
    First freeze expected Tuesday morning. Last of the Thanksgiving leftovers tonight.

Headed to Wilmington!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Headed to Wilmington!
    A permanent move?

Sometimes, deletion is the better part of valor.

Hmmm, potential relief from seasonal allergies?

‘Botanical Sexism’ Could Be Behind Your Seasonal Allergies

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ame-male-trees

I know cedar is a huge issue for many of us here in Texas.

One of the links within the article is interesting:

http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/opals.html
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 11-29-2020 at 12:38 PM.

I'm always a bit disappointed when I realize Cup O Soup is not in fact a cup.

Beautiful today but nasty looms.

big wind coming, but had a chat with neighbor and dogs played.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    A permanent move?
    Not yet.

Finished listening to a six-hour Dan Carlin podcast series on the Mongol Empire. Fascinating. But really have no one with which to discuss it.

Odd frustration, I know. But there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Finished listening to a six-hour Dan Carlin podcast series on the Mongol Empire. Fascinating. But really have no one with which to discuss it.

Khan't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Khan't help you.
    May have to listen to Shaka Khan (oddly enough, NOT a ruler’s real name AFAIK) as the best substitute I can find.

There was one named Möngke Khan though. May need to play an 80’s video game in that general phonetic vicinity.

(In case anyone was wondering, Möngke was one of Genghis’ many grandchildren and was succeeded by his brother, Kublai Khan. Möngke was the fourth and last ruler of the vast Mongol Empire, although his brother established the Yuan Dynasty in China and who was chronicled by Marco Polo himself).

Fascinating. But really have no one with which to discuss it.

I feel for you...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I feel for you...
    Or maybe he's a man cub?

I forgot to mention the two female Empress Regents before and after the reign of Ögedei Khan, perhaps the two most powerful women in history that no one knows about today. For several years, Töregene Khatun ruled an empire that stretched from Syria to China. Pretty smashing for the Thirteenth Century.

A somewhat campy but quick overview of the Mongols (obviously leaves out a lot — the Mongols killed between 30 and 80 million people during their conquests):

I forgot to mention the two female Empress Regents before and after the reign of Ögedei Khan, perhaps the two most powerful women in history that no one knows about today. For several years, Töregene Khatun ruled an empire that stretched from Syria to China. Pretty smashing for the Thirteenth Century.
    Would they know/learn about them in China? I always assume most of the world has no clue, does not care, and has no cause to learn about folks like George Washington, Ben Franklin, TJ, and some of our other notables.

My most important history lesson was leaving Texas and discovering (to my initial horror) that no students outside of Texas took multiple years of Texas history. Like, what do you mean you've never heard of Stephen F Austin? How did you even get into a school like Duke w/o those fundamentals?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Would they know/learn about them in China? I always assume most of the world has no clue, does not care, and has no cause to learn about folks like George Washington, Ben Franklin, TJ, and some of our other notables.

My most important history lesson was leaving Texas and discovering (to my initial horror) that no students outside of Texas took multiple years of Texas history. Like, what do you mean you've never heard of Stephen F Austin? How did you even get into a school like Duke w/o those fundamentals?!?!
    A really fascinating question (at least to me as a history/poly sci major). The Mongols killed millions of Chinese over a century and destroyed the three major empires of the Thirteenth Century. And at the time, China was certainly the most advanced known culture in the old world — followed by the Arabic cultures and the relatively simplistic European culture. (Not sure how to compare the civilizations of Mexico and South America at the time, which certainly has their days too).

Dan Carlin starts his talk by talking about a paper he wrote in college on the Mongol military conquests. His professor — a Chinese national — gave him a lower grade than Dan thought correct. When Dan went to the professor’s office to ask him why, the professor’s response was — what about the slaughter? What about the millions of men, women and children brutalized and killed?

So yes, I think people from the world torched by the Mongols may have a better sense of it than we do as Americans. Very fair point.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-29-2020 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Typos

A really fascinating question (at least to me as a history/poly sci major). The Mongols killed millions of Chinese over a century and destroyed the three major empires of the Thirteenth Century. And at the time, China was certainly the most advanced known culture in the old world — followed by the Arabic cultures and the relatively simplistic European culture. (Not sure how to compare the civilizations of Mexico and South America at the time, which certainly has their days too).

Dan Carlin starts his talk by talking about a paper he wrote in college on the Mongol military conquests. His professor — a Chinese national — gave him a lower grade than Dan thought correct. When Dan went to the professor’s office to ask him why, the professor’s response was — what about the slaughter? What about the millions of men, women and children brutalized and killed?

So yes, I think people from the world torched by the Mongols may have a better sense of it than we do as Americans. Very fair point.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. TBH, I don’t think I’ve read a book dedicated to the Mongols, they’ve just made an appearance in a few. That part of the world’s history isn’t generally a strong suit. I did accidentally take a course on Japanese erotic art at Duke but that may be my one dedicated Asian history experience. I have been around enough bocks that are not my own to know the history I was taught isn’t emphasized or even mentioned many places. Heck, we’re the bad guys in a lot of stories.

Will have to add to my reading or listening list!

Rainy. Very rainy.

Keeping an eye on the sump.