Page 157 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 571071471551561571581591672072576571157 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 67385

Smile Good news

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Too much adult conversation going on, must find a new thread
    There is always the random rhyme thread.

ILoveJimmy good news: she gets to telecommute/work in her present job after we move. SO, here's all we have left to do to move:
    1) Survive two more days of contingency (and some silly home fix requests);
    2) Survive through closing;
    3) Find a home;
    4) Move.

Billybreen: Think I may have an opportunity to convince her to go iPhone?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Absolutely! Just tell her all the cool people are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    I’m Batman. At least that’s what I tell women in bars after a few rounds. It’s a great pick-up line because they have no way of knowing if it’s true or not. Sure, they have a 99% chance of knowing that you’re not Batman, but it’s that 1% that gives you the in.

What you’re really looking for is the lady that wants to argue with you about how much you’re not Batman. Those are the broads that end up in bed with you later on yelling “Yes, Batman! Show me your utility belt!” It works every time. It also helps to have a utility belt with you because up until that point, she may still not believe you’re Batman, but when you produce the utility belt, you send her head spinning.

I never used to be good at pick-up lines because I was too direct. “I’d like to be your blanket” works on some chicks, but most of them just slap you and walk away. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good slapping. It’s good for the skin and makes you focus on the task at hand. I’d just rather talk to the woman than get slapped, that’s all. So I had to take a different approach. I’ve heard of new dating advice books where you’re supposed to insult a girl to get her attention, but I think that’s the wrong approach. If I’m not pretending to be Batman, I like to use really impressive facts to get them to talk to me.

I’ll pick out the hottest lady in the bar (or zoo or botanical garden or wherever else I might happen to be) and get her attention with a really loud whisper. Women respond really well to whispers. It’s because they like secrets. So I’ll whisper, “Hey you, come over here” and I’ll look like I’ve got a real big secret to tell them. When they come over, I reach into my bag of facts (not literally) and pull out a good one. “Dolphins are the only animals besides humans that copulate for pleasure.” It works like a charm. Most of the time. Not really. It gets me slapped less, though, so I’m sticking with it.
    If you told me that you were Batman, I'd ask you where you left your cape. Then I would laugh.

The initial success of the pick-up line depends on whether you've bought me a Corona, how cute you are, and whether you've made me laugh.

ILoveJimmy good news: she gets to telecommute/work in her present job after we move. SO, here's all we have left to do to move:
    3) Find a home;
    4) Move.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Finding a home is stressful and fun. This is a very good time to be buying.

Will you still be in Hotlanta the weekend of August 23rd? Freshman orientation at Emory!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    In a drunken state of false bravado, I ventured over to the PP board and got sucked into an argument about racism or HIV or statistics, I don't even know what I'm arguing about anymore.

Don't Go There! It's a Trap!
    For sho'. Love the PPB folks and I enjoy being educated about the stock market, oil futures, etc. but the general tone is always kind of depressing, you know? Like, Oh no, there's no more oil and we'll never build another infrastructure. Here's an intractable political problem that will never be solved in our lifetime. We hate George Bush. More genocide going on in the Middle East/Sudan/Africa. The economy sucks and will never get any better.

Talking about frivolities instead helps me get through the day without wanting to kill myself.

3) Find a home;
    4) Move.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Wait, so what happens if 4 occurs before 3??

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    . . . I'm a statistician at my day job . . .
    I knew I liked you for a reason! I'm an Actuary and a math geek 24/7.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I had an epiphany the other day. They seem to be coming fast and furious to this board lately.

Anyway, I have basically realized that fellow posters of DBR, you have all become my "work friends." How utterly sad is that? That I spend more time with random people whom I've never actually met on the internet (cool though they may be) than I do with the people who occupy my office space. I blame my job for being so mind-numbingly, destructively boring that I'm forced to seek refuge on the internet for some mental stimulation.

Animal Update

Walking the dogs this morning, there's was nothing too exciting on the animal front. A few squirrels, chipmunks, geese, and a snapping turtle coming up for air.

But on the news last night they did a story about this strange beast. Could this be the rare and elusive pig-hawk?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I'll have her go to DA's Harvard physics guy's web site.

Do you have a site?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    Wait, so what happens if 4 occurs before 3??
    Storage (and lots of bucks).

I'll have her go to DA's Harvard physics guy's web site.

Do you have a site?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Don't you mean BD's Harvard physics guy?

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Don't you mean BD's Harvard physics guy?
    EGADS!! My sincerest apologies.

He has the Mac. I'll assume he has the iPhone as well!

I blame the mishap on my opening semester at Duke. I took physics for physics majors ... and failed. Not that I hold a grudge or anything.

To this day, I have a physics phobia.

But I think the world of BostonDevil!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Well... true confessions

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I had an epiphany the other day. They seem to be coming fast and furious to this board lately.

Anyway, I have basically realized that fellow posters of DBR, you have all become my "work friends." How utterly sad is that? That I spend more time with random people whom I've never actually met on the internet (cool though they may be) than I do with the people who occupy my office space. I blame my job for being so mind-numbingly, destructively boring that I'm forced to seek refuge on the internet for some mental stimulation.
    Your tone sounds vaguely familiar.

My wife has genuinely come to appreciate the DBR community in that it has helped keep my sanity during an extremely stressful time in my life. She also recognizes the value of Atlanta friends like EarlJam and Wilson (if she met Shammrog, she'd appreciate him as well), and other DBR friends like throaty and, of course, brother-in-law devildeac.

So no, I don't think it's sad. Especially if you partake in ATL DBR Mafia events (assuming EarlJam doesn't run off to Alaska).

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    EGADS!! My sincerest apologies.

He has the Mac. I'll assume he has the iPhone as well!

I blame the mishap on my opening semester at Duke. I took physics for physics majors ... and failed. Not that I hold a grudge or anything.

To this day, I have a physics phobia.

But I think the world of BostonDevil!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Aw, shucks.

My husband and an iPhone? Surely you jest. While we're not exactly luddites when I posted about my cell phone taking pictures? It's because I was amazed to find out it could do such a thing. Way back when I actually double majored in math and computer science but I haven't learned anything substantial about computers since 1993.

There's a very good reason I don't have an avatar. I don't know how to give myself one. I am proud that I know what one is though.

I always said I never took physics but recently I remembered that my 9th grade science class, call QPS, actually stood for quantitative physical science so, I took some in 9th grade. (We used slide rules!) I know that force = mass X acceleration but that's about it. So, whenever I'm having dinner with Nobel prize winners (kind of a common occurence) I ask them what they know about Shakespeare.

Unhappy Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Will you still be in Hotlanta the weekend of August 23rd? Freshman orientation at Emory!
    Unfortunately, no. We leave Aug. 16. I've done the last 8 freshmen orientation fairs, the last 8 freshmen advising years, and the last 6 years of graduate student training for teaching (I guess I missed Wilson by one year). I'll miss it, but I've got plenty to do where we're moving to.

Hope all moves smoothly for you with your daughter. It's a whirlwind, but the freshmen advising system works VERY nicely. I wish they had something like that when I went to Duke. IIRC, during orientation, the Emory psych folks have a wonderful talk for the parents. NOT to be missed!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    So, whenever I'm having dinner with Nobel prize winners (kind of a common occurence) I ask them what they know about Shakespeare.
    Brilliant! Do they come back with good answers?

I was going to ask, what's it like having a physicist as a husband -- does it creep into his daily persona, or can he leave the 'geek factor' at work? (I assume, tho, since he's married to you, he's a very very good guy.)

I ask in part b/c Mr. DA is a software test engineer, and 'tests' nearly everything. (See: question about the all-powerful duck.) I sometimes have to remind him he doesn't need to 'test' things like the failure point of bike tire (yup, looked like it popped around 100psi); the battery life of a cell phone (go charge it, or I won't be able to call you later); the definition of the word "okay" when I use it to describe a bad day.

Why hasn’t anyone built a live-action version of Chutes and Ladders? I’d be first in line to play.

I’ve always thought that shopping carts are just mobile jails for food and all the prisoners are sentenced to death by ingestion. Kind of makes you shop differently, huh?

lte

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    You would have a lot more chance of success if you told her Jimmy had one...