Page 1555 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 55510551455150515451553155415551556155715651605165520552555 ... LastLast
Results 31,081 to 31,100 of 67383
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Does anyone's employer offer some form of sabbatical?
    many colleges do for profs, periodic sabbaticals in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    many colleges do for profs, periodic sabbaticals in fact.
    I've taken 3 work sabbaticals in between jobs. This was all pre-kid so my calculus has likely changed but with some savings and cost efficient living, I was able to plan for them. I suppose I'd have more in my retirement fund if I hadn't done them but I do my best to make my finances adjust to my life, not the other way around.

Wait until you start roasting your own...it will be the only thing you drink.
    I think I'm already there. For instance, the coffee I drink tomorrow will have been roasted today. We don't roast at home, but the business we get it from roasts the morning after my order and ships that day by 2-day post. Or for us, leaves it on our front porch.

Wait until you start roasting your own...it will be the only thing you drink.
    Ever try roasting in a popcorn popper? Did a little intersearches last night and saw that as a thing.

If you want high heat and convection, an air fryer would also seem like a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    I think I'm already there. For instance, the coffee I drink tomorrow will have been roasted today. We don't roast at home, but the business we get it from roasts the morning after my order and ships that day by 2-day post. Or for us, leaves it on our front porch.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ever try roasting in a popcorn popper? Did a little intersearches last night and saw that as a thing.

If you want high heat and convection, an air fryer would also seem like a possibility.
    Lol, I haven't had a cup of coffee in 20 years. I did have a coworker for quite a while who was obsessed with it. So much so that he got a roaster like this:

500g-coffee-roaster-main-web-1.jpg

Last day at my current job. Came in this morning to decorated cubicle with photos from the last 3 years all around my desk. Great group of people I have been blessed to work with. Having a catered meal and ymm, beer and ymm, wine as a send off at 5:00

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Last day at my current job. Came in this morning to decorated cubicle with photos from the last 3 years all around my desk. Great group of people I have been blessed to work with. Having a catered meal and ymm, beer and ymm, wine as a send off at 5:00
    Congratulations!

What is your timetable for the move and starting the new job?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Interesting suggestion - because that's exactly how this guy got started. A popcorn popper.

Truthfully, I'm not going to roast my own. I enjoy supporting local businesses - which will supersede any near-term urge to try my own hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Congratulations!

What is your timetable for the move and starting the new job?
    Moving day to temporary dwelling is next Wednesday. Start date for new jobs b is 09/14.

Moving day to temporary dwelling is next Wednesday. Start date for new jobs b is 09/14.
    Good luck on the move and new jobs. Timetable appears to give you some time to check out the local Ymm, Beer places once you get there.

Interesting suggestion - because that's exactly how this guy got started. A popcorn popper.

Truthfully, I'm not going to roast my own. I enjoy supporting local businesses - which will supersede any near-term urge to try my own hand.
    As an interesting aside (to me, at least), I met my coffee roaster bawana when I went to his shop looking for a neon-bending artiste to breathe life into some art/sketches from our daughter. He repairs neon signs as well as doing custom work out of a 15x30 storefront/workshop. As cramped as it was, it was even more crowded because of a human-sized contraption in the front of the shop. Turned out to be his coffee roaster; a side interest.

We struck up an extended conversation and suspect we are now friends for life.

Here's what he built for us - which I consider a family heirloom:

IMG952952.jpg

Approximate scale is 40" x 50"

As an interesting aside (to me, at least), I met my coffee roaster bawana when I went to his shop looking for a neon-bending artiste to breathe life into some art/sketches from our daughter. He repairs neon signs as well as doing custom work out of a 15x30 storefront/workshop. As cramped as it was, it was even more crowded because of a human-sized contraption in the front of the shop. Turned out to be his coffee roaster; a side interest.

IMG952952.jpg

Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Very cool.
    Thanks! I should get a gif that shows off the animation...

Thanks! I should get a gif that shows off the animation...
    Love it! A gif of it would be awesome.

IMG952952.jpg

Just curious, are you located in the Triangle area (I say with fingers crossed)? I have a neon sign that needs repair.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Just curious, are you located in the Triangle area (I say with fingers crossed)? I have a neon sign that needs repair.
    No - central New York state. This guy's shop is in Utica.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Home of the Blue Sox!

Nice, a few days off in between. Congrats again on the new job!

Poop. Thanks, but, poop!

who can forget "So watch out Utica, Springfield's a city on the grow!!"
    The only bad thing I can say about Utica is that Utica Club is one of the worst beers I've ever imbibed.