Page 1550 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 55010501450150015401548154915501551155215601600165020502550 ... LastLast
Results 30,981 to 31,000 of 67238
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    The Laura Linney story is hard to watch, never really thought about the kid being too young, seems innocent enough. Love that movie, watch it every year before the holidays. "I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes..."
    He's supposed to be 10 or 11. I think the actor was actually 12, but the frantic run through the airport so he can say goodbye to a 10 year old girl (they mention her age in the concert scene) is just too much. Kids can have crushes at that age, but they usually aren't too scared to speak to them at school, that comes later. It's a story about 16 year olds played by ~10 year olds and that ruins it for me. Neeson does a fine job as the supportive stepfather, but the kids are just too young for the story line.

Season 25, This Old House...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Season 25, This Old House...
    Is that your favorite show?

I finished watching the sixth and final season of Community last night. I really enjoyed that show.

What should I binge watch next?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I finished watching the sixth and final season of Community last night. I really enjoyed that show.
    This is truly the darkest timeline.

"Ted Lasso" Jason Sudekis on Amazon Prime plus- whatever it is. A rare SNL alum with actual humor rather than sneering wink-wink condescension.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Is that your favorite show?
    I like the science involved.

What should I binge watch next?
    I’ve been struggling with this for a couple months. That is how I ended up with This Old House.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is truly the darkest timeline.
    Oh yes, truly.

Just now looked at this thread, so if this was recommended already, I apologize. My family and I have been watching Alone. They get ten people and drop them off in the middle of no where (at least 10 miles apart so they don't run into each other). The last one standing wins $500k. Each participant has a satellite phone to call for help and quit. All participants claim to be experts in survival techniques. It's really interesting. The newer seasons are on Netflix. The older seasons are on History Channel on demand. We watched the newest season first and then watched season one. The difference in strategy was fascinating. The people in the newer season had clearly studied and prepared for what was to come.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Just now looked at this thread, so if this was recommended already, I apologize. My family and I have been watching Alone. They get ten people and drop them off in the middle of no where (at least 10 miles apart so they don't run into each other). The last one standing wins $500k. Each participant has a satellite phone to call for help and quit. All participants claim to be experts in survival techniques. It's really interesting. The newer seasons are on Netflix. The older seasons are on History Channel on demand. We watched the newest season first and then watched season one. The difference in strategy was fascinating. The people in the newer season had clearly studied and prepared for what was to come.
    Yes! Great show. My wife and I watched the entire series a couple of months ago.

We've enjoyed several of the seasons as well. I haven't read the parameters and rules but infer that they ARE provided with a certain amount of food (rice, I gather) in addition to what they catch/forage and that they MUST call to have their health assessed in the event they suffer a cut, sprain, bite, etc. The contestants obviously assume personal liability but the show wants to get everyone to medical experts if they reach certain thresholds or have an accident.

It's usually pretty apparent which of the contestants aren't going to last more than a day or two (or fewer). It's often the people that just haven't spent a night alone in the woods and know how unsettling it can be. They've definitely had a number of incredibly talented, industrious, and innovative contestants from all sorts of different outdoors backgrounds. Sometimes the eventual winner is also pretty apparent (was there any doubt the dude that lived with the indigenous reindeer hunters for several years was going to do well in the Arctic?) but often the people that make it a while surprise (the angry plumber, who just made bad decision after bad decision and eventually placed second...)

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We've enjoyed several of the seasons as well. I haven't read the parameters and rules but infer that they ARE provided with a certain amount of food (rice, I gather) in addition to what they catch/forage and that they MUST call to have their health assessed in the event they suffer a cut, sprain, bite, etc. The contestants obviously assume personal liability but the show wants to get everyone to medical experts if they reach certain thresholds or have an accident.

It's usually pretty apparent which of the contestants aren't going to last more than a day or two (or fewer). It's often the people that just haven't spent a night alone in the woods and know how unsettling it can be. They've definitely had a number of incredibly talented, industrious, and innovative contestants from all sorts of different outdoors backgrounds. Sometimes the eventual winner is also pretty apparent (was there any doubt the dude that lived with the indigenous reindeer hunters for several years was going to do well in the Arctic?) but often the people that make it a while surprise (the angry plumber, who just made bad decision after bad decision and eventually placed second...)
    Here is a full list of the rules and what they can take. Some things are standard for everyone and then there is a long list of optional gear but you are limited to ten items of the optional gear.
    https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list

The most interesting part of the show to me is how the mental aspect of the game is harder than the physical for a lot of participants.

After about a month there is a standard health check once a week. A medic will be dropped in to take vitals and what-not. Also, someone is watching the cameras. If a contestant is seriously hurt and can't call for help, someone will come check on them but it could take as long as a day before help can arrive.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 08-31-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Here is a full list of the rules and what they can take. Some things are standard for everyone and then there is a long list of optional gear but you are limited to ten items of the optional gear.

The most interesting part of the show to me is how the mental aspect of the game is harder than the physical for a lot of participants.

After about a month there is a standard health check once a week. A medic will be dropped in to take vitals and what-not. Also, someone is watching the cameras. If a contestant is seriously hurt and can't call for help, someone will come check on them but it could take as long as a day before help can arrive.
    This sounds crazy. How long do the winners usually last?
    The mental health part would definitely be a challenge for me (although my hunter-gatherer skills aren't exactly through the roof either...).

Survived the road trip west. Final route was: Indianapolis -> Madison -> Minneapolis -> Fargo -> Badlands -> Rushmore and Crazy Horse ->Yellowstone -> Chico, Montana and Missoula -> Spokane -> Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Survived the road trip west. Final route was: Indianapolis -> Madison -> Minneapolis -> Fargo -> Badlands -> Rushmore and Crazy Horse ->Yellowstone -> Chico, Montana and Missoula -> Spokane -> Seattle.
    Glad you survived the trip. Best of luck in your new location. Did you have a favorite spot along the way?

I will definitely give this show a try. I stopped watching Survivor after Season 2 and "Naked and Alone" does not sound interesting but this discussion has sparked my interest in Alone.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The mental health part would definitely be a challenge for me (although my hunter-gatherer skills aren't exactly through the roof either...).
    There are usually only a few contestants left by 40-50 days in and the longest a contestant has lasted is in the 80s.

It's interesting, the contestants in the later seasons have studied the previous shows and have baked in the approximate finish line to their thinking...which could be good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that there is a HUGE difference from season 1 to the last season. People watched the earlier seasons and came up with strategies on how to survive. They openly talk about how they decided what to bring and how watching earlier seasons guided them.

I forgot to mention, they have to film themselves. The case of camera equipment weighs 60 lbs and must be taken with them to their camp. This rule usually limits how far people are willing to make camp from where they are dropped off. Once the camp is established, they set up cameras around camp and take two with them wherever they go.