Page 1537 of 2328 FirstFirst ... 5371037143714871527153515361537153815391547158716372037 ... LastLast
Results 30,721 to 30,740 of 46546
  1. #30721
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The WaPost has recent a story up on what it's like being an RV Newbie, though they were renting.



    -jk
    I once had a job driving a Winnebago around for two years.

  2. #30722
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Agree, the Craig movies are great action/spy movies but not really classic "Bond" movies. I enjoy them, I just try not to compare them.

    I was just about to ask this question somewhere on this board. Great opportunity...

    How to introduce my teens to James Bond? Start with Connery? Craig?
    My son and I started with the first and I planned to go through the progression. Only made it through the first four or five.

    Perhaps the best way is to either find a list of best Bond films, or your personal favorites, and just start at the top. You may only get through a few, so go strong.

    FWIW, if your kids watch any of the Mission Impossibles or John Wicks or such, they may get bored with the early ones. Films used to be much more about plot and character; films today are much more fast-paced and CGI extreme.

  3. #30723
    I prefer ocean front resorts with scenic views air conditioning and room service.
    Much more at ease and comfortable....thereís no Daniel Boone left in me...

  4. #30724
    Which Bond movie was set in Bangkok - or at least part of it? One of the families at ASIJ saw their house in the movie.

  5. #30725
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    I am a Purist. Sean Connery is the ONLY James Bond.

  6. #30726
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Agree, the Craig movies are great action/spy movies but not really classic "Bond" movies. I enjoy them, I just try not to compare them.

    I was just about to ask this question somewhere on this board. Great opportunity...

    How to introduce my teens to James Bond? Start with Connery? Craig?
    For a teen, definitely the Craig movies. The dialog is still good, but the pacing is completely different. Kids don't have patience for the older, slow Bond movies.

    And, c'mon, Daniel Craig got the ultimate Bond Girl win: the Queen!



    -jk

  7. #30727
    True confession - I'm not sure I've ever seen an entire James Bond movie.

  8. #30728
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I once had a job driving a Winnebago around for two years.

    Was John Madden your boss?

  9. #30729
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    For a teen, definitely the Craig movies. The dialog is still good, but the pacing is completely different. Kids don't have patience for the older, slow Bond movies.

    And, c'mon, Daniel Craig got the ultimate Bond Girl win: the Queen!



    -jk
    I know a lot of 30 year olds who arenít good with the prior pacing. Iíll mention look at the gorgeous scenery, this is xxxx location back in the 60s. So wide open...

  10. #30730
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I once had a job driving a Winnebago around for two years.
    Did you try for a promotion so you could drive the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile?

  11. #30731
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    I prefer ocean front resorts with scenic views air conditioning and room service.
    Much more at ease and comfortable...thereís no Daniel Boone left in me...
    I chaperoned two trips of middle schoolers, one to France with Paddies on the trip and one to the UK with T-Bone (and the hubby!) on the trip. The teacher that led these trips loved having me along as I'm a roll with the flow yet helpful type chaperone. He encouraged me to go with them when they went to Peru. I explained to him that when it comes to being a world traveler, I only want to face first world problems. Lost luggage? Bus is late? Too many chicken finger dinners? No problem. Use a hole in the ground as a toilet? Nope.

  12. #30732
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    And the see-saw has tilted the other way.

  13. #30733
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    My son and I started with the first and I planned to go through the progression. Only made it through the first four or five.

    Perhaps the best way is to either find a list of best Bond films, or your personal favorites, and just start at the top. You may only get through a few, so go strong.

    FWIW, if your kids watch any of the Mission Impossibles or John Wicks or such, they may get bored with the early ones. Films used to be much more about plot and character; films today are much more fast-paced and CGI extreme.
    They have watched some of the MIs, haven't introduced them to the John Wicks (might let them find those on their own). I was thinking of the personal favorites way, watch my favorite Craig, then favorite Brosnan, then Connery and Moore. Once they've gotten a taste of each we could decide how to continue. If we never make it to a Dalton or a Lazenby, oh well.

    Hmm. Now to decide on favorites.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  14. #30734
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    They have watched some of the MIs, haven't introduced them to the John Wicks (might let them find those on their own). I was thinking of the personal favorites way, watch my favorite Craig, then favorite Brosnan, then Connery and Moore. Once they've gotten a taste of each we could decide how to continue. If we never make it to a Dalton or a Lazenby, oh well.

    Hmm. Now to decide on favorites.
    Sounds like a plan.

    FWIW here are rankings by RottenTomato meter:

    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/james-bond-movies/

    Other than Goldfinger as the best, I disagree with much of that list. But itís the first I found.

  15. #30735
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I am a Purist. Sean Connery is the ONLY James Bond.
    C'mon, that's like saying you'll never watch a Duke game again because Laettner and Hurley aren't suiting up. Each team, er, movie brings something to the table. Sometimes it ends up as a Final Four, sometimes a Mercer.



    I know, I know, too soon.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  16. #30736
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    And the see-saw has tilted the other way.
    "I see," said the blind man.

  17. #30737
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Maybe , but I went back and watch a couple of the early ones recently, including Dr. No, and they do not age well - really creaky and dated.
    No CGI in those days.

  18. #30738
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    No CGI in those days.
    I think it's more the "take a shower after radiation exposure and you'll be fine" that hasn't aged well.

  19. #30739
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I think it's more the "take a shower after radiation exposure and you'll be fine" that hasn't aged well.
    It's a movie, not a medical documentary.

  20. #30740
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    No CGI in those days.
    I always liked the killer spider crawling on the movie screen, to kill James Bond in his sleep (one of the early Connery films, not sure which -- they were in the tropics somewhere and Bond of course was in bed with a babe).

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •