Page 1527 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 52710271427147715171525152615271528152915371577162720272527 ... LastLast
Results 30,521 to 30,540 of 67392
    I need to go to sleep.

Paddle faster....

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Paddle faster...
    Does this thread go to Aintree?

I finally got to our farm tonight in western NC, about 4 miles from the Sparta quake. It's too dark to see much outside, but one stone retaining wall has some obvious damage and might be leaning just a bit. Another had an old crack that I think may have widened a touch.

The house itself seems sound - nothing obvious. No cracks in the fieldstone walls outside or plaster inside as best I can tell, all the tile work is intact, and the plumbing seems tight.

I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to turn on the propane for the stove. (Lat one night a few years ago, a house a couple blocks from me exploded from a gas leak. The couple rode their mattress up and out. He walked away; she had life-altering injuries. Their house was reduced to kindling. The houses on either side were knocked a little off their foundations. I'll play with electric. I won't play with gas!)

My SiL's brother is a general contractor. He's coming up this weekend to help with the inspection.

-jk

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Well, it is Wednesday evening.
    Did we just rename Wednesday Bump Day?

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I finally got to our farm tonight in western NC, about 4 miles from the Sparta quake. It's too dark to see much outside, but one stone retaining wall has some obvious damage and might be leaning just a bit. Another had an old crack that I think may have widened a touch.

The house itself seems sound - nothing obvious. No cracks in the fieldstone walls outside or plaster inside as best I can tell, all the tile work is intact, and the plumbing seems tight.

I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to turn on the propane for the stove. (Lat one night a few years ago, a house a couple blocks from me exploded from a gas leak. The couple rode their mattress up and out. He walked away; she had life-altering injuries. Their house was reduced to kindling. The houses on either side were knocked a little off their foundations. I'll play with electric. I won't play with gas!)

My SiL's brother is a general contractor. He's coming up this weekend to help with the inspection.

-jk
    I hope the things you noticed are the only damage to find. Good luck with the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Did we just rename Wednesday Bump Day?
    Sounds good - and the camel can still be the mascot.

I'll play with electric. I won't play with gas!
    I have the scars from playing with electric. This was in an industrial setting, 460V three phase stuff. I locked out the cabinet, but someone had wired and run a circuit from another cabinet to equipment that had been added at a later date.

I have the scars from playing with electric. This was in an industrial setting, 460V three phase stuff. I locked out the cabinet, but someone had wired and run a circuit from another cabinet to equipment that had been added at a later date.
    I have changed out light switches and plugs - as close as I want to get to electrical work. Added bonus is the aluminum wiring to copper in the switches and plugs.

Apartment is a maze of boxes and vacuum-sealed bags.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Moving day approaches?

I'll be right there with you very soon.

I finally got to our farm tonight in western NC...
    Man, there is nothing half as exciting or suspenseful as walking into a second home and discovering what's wrong now!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Moving day approaches?
    Loading up the trailer Saturday and rolling out of town Sunday

Safe travels, and congratulations!

Good luck with the move! Safe travels.

I think I need to convince myself that I am moving so I weed out the crap I don't need.

One of my nephews is going through a divorce. I am using this as motivation to clean out kitchen cabinets and help furnish his new kitchen.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Sorry for your nephew. Sounds like you're being a good aunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Sorry for your nephew. Sounds like you're being a good aunt.
    We are going through him a virtual house warming. The situation just stinks since they have kids but I think it has been coming for a while. Don't know all the details, and don't want to, but I hate that all parties involved are hurting. Just don't know how to fix that.