Page 1522 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 52210221422147215121520152115221523152415321572162220222522 ... LastLast
Results 30,421 to 30,440 of 67660
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If you think it's hot where you are, it's hotter in Death Valley

https://www.al.com/news/2020/08/you-...on-sunday.html
    It's a dry heat though...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I found out something about my father, Donald Burdick, yesterday that I didn't know before, he was the West Virginia State Chess Champion at the junior level from 1950-1952 and then at the senior level from 1954-1957, and in 1955, he was both. He won the junior championship for the first time at age 13. Sometimes he shared the title, I don't know how it was determined, but wow. I knew he was good at chess but I didn't know about his streak of state championships. He won a couple of national tournaments at the junior level too. He told me once that he faced a decision about the time he graduated from Duke (Class of '58), dedicate his life to chess or give it up and do something else. He chose graduate school instead of becoming Bobby Fischer (before Bobby Fischer).

https://www.wvchess.org/state-champions

#2 went even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I found out something about my father, Donald Burdick, yesterday that I didn't know before, he was the West Virginia State Chess Champion at the junior level from 1950-1952 and then at the senior level from 1954-1957, and in 1955, he was both. He won the junior championship for the first time at age 13. Sometimes he shared the title, I don't know how it was determined, but wow. I knew he was good at chess but I didn't know about his streak of state championships. He won a couple of national tournaments at the junior level too. He told me once that he faced a decision about the time he graduated from Duke (Class of '58), dedicate his life to chess or give it up and do something else. He chose graduate school instead of becoming Bobby Fischer (before Bobby Fischer).

That is very cool!

I'm awful at chess.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    #2 went even better.
    I know what you mean, but the 12-year old that lives inside of me laughed at this

I'm happy that your #2 went well.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I know what you mean, but the 12-year old that lives inside of me laughed at this
    Heh. My DBR status says I'm a "member."

Very cool! I never had the patience to learn chess.

Did take bridge lessons but it didn't last long. Trying to play as I learned with the sister closest in age to me was not conducive to continuing. She didn't exhibit much patience.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    #2 went even better.
    Congratulations!

I ran my sprinklers this morning. It rained enough this evening that I didn’t need to. I’ll be mowing this weekend.

Hockey. NBA. Pizza.

Hockey. NBA. Pizza.
    Just like old times!

Just like old times!
    Usually not August, but I'll take it.

Nice Bruins win, Bostondevil

Usually not August, but I'll take it.

Nice Bruins win, Bostondevil
    Love me some Bruins!

Also - thank you. Are you a Canes fan? Are there any big Canes fans around here? If they'd existed when I was a kid, I'm sure I'd be a Canes fan but I didn't start watching hockey until I moved to Boston. Go Bs!!

Also - thank you. Are you a Canes fan? Are there any big Canes fans around here? If they'd existed when I was a kid, I'm sure I'd be a Canes fan but I didn't start watching hockey until I moved to Boston. Go Bs!!
    There are lots of Canes fans on here, but I'm not one. My neighbor introduced me to the joys of playoff hockey, and he's Bruins through and through.

I grew up in NC way pre-Hurricanes. Had no reason to pay attention.

There are lots of Canes fans on here, but I'm not one. My neighbor introduced me to the joys of playoff hockey, and he's Bruins through and through.

I grew up in NC way pre-Hurricanes. Had no reason to pay attention.
    Good man.

Good man.
    I dunno about that. He's also a Tar Heel.

I dunno about that. He's also a Tar Heel.
    Everyone has a flaw - some are just bigger than others.

I grew up a Rangers fan, a Mets fan, and a football Giants fan. Tough childhood.